What's new

General/Other - Reptile Even though Reptile gets no love

Chaz

Noob
Pretty sure not getting touched is a massive buff in this patch especially when you were already a really good character
ehh he actually did get changed a bit look it up & he didn't get anything added which sucks. Aliens the new Reptile sadly,

Chaz

Noob
RIGHT, need that costume. I use Nimble non stop, Triborg is really my only threat with the dlc, hes ridiculous.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
ehh he actually did get changed a bit look it up & he didn't get anything added which sucks. Aliens the new Reptile sadly,
But has he been touched balance wise? No? So that's a massive buff, because Quan, Tempest, Cassie, Jax, Liu Kang, Tanya, Tremor, and Predator all recieved very significant nerfs. Reptile has never been more competitive than he is this patch. "Alien is the new Reptile" LOL

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
But has he been touched balance wise? No? So that's a massive buff, because Quan, Tempest, Cassie, Jax, Liu Kang, Tanya, Tremor, and Predator all recieved very significant nerfs. Reptile has never been more competitive than he is this patch. "Alien is the new Reptile" LOL
Reptiles ex invisibility has several less frames of advantage. It's still good but you can no longer jail into anything and a lot of armor breaking setups after ex invis are gone.

I am fine with the change but he did get a moderate nerf to be fair.

God Confirm

Reptiles ex invisibility has several less frames of advantage. It's still good but you can no longer jail into anything and a lot of armor breaking setups after ex invis are gone.

I am fine with the change but he did get a moderate nerf to be fair.
Didn't he also get a handful of buffs around the place as well? Hell even if we were to make EX invis negative, that wouldn't be a nerf on the level of ANY of those characters mentioned except maybe LK, I think it's safe to say Reptile loves this patch

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Didn't he also get a handful of buffs around the place as well? Hell even if we were to make EX invis negative, that wouldn't be a nerf on the level of ANY of those characters mentioned except maybe LK, I think it's safe to say Reptile loves this patch
No, as far as I know, the only buff was to make nimble activation faster, which mostly just makes execution (which was already totally doable) easier, but doesn't provide much/any additional utility. Not 100% sure on that last point though, I don't play nimble much.

God Confirm

No, as far as I know, the only buff was to make nimble activation faster, which mostly just makes execution (which was already totally doable) easier, but doesn't provide much/any additional utility. Not 100% sure on that last point though, I don't play nimble much.
Did he get many other nerfs than the EX Invis? I thought he was barely touched but I may be wrong, cant find any concise data on it but he looks more or less the same in the lab to me. What else happened with him

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Did he get many other nerfs than the EX Invis? I thought he was barely touched but I may be wrong, cant find any concise data on it but he looks more or less the same in the lab to me. What else happened with him
Yeah his ex slide range was also nerfed, doesn't go full screen anymore. I consider that a small nerf though, ex slide as a counter zoning tool has always been overrated, Barely does any damage (you often took just as much damage from the projectile you slid through) and guarantees no pressure outside of the corner (if they tech roll you get no follow up, traded damage, and lost a bar). I've always preferred just wading through the zoning and saving my bar for when I got in.

God Confirm

Yeah his ex slide range was also nerfed, doesn't go full screen anymore. I consider that a small nerf though, ex slide has always been overrated, Barely does any damage (you often took just as much damage from the projectile you slid through) and guarantees no pressure outside of the corner (if they tech roll you get no follow up, traded damage, and lost a bar). I've always preferred just wading through the zoning and saving my bar for when I got in.
it low profiles most projectiles and even if it is a mid and still hits, the trade is in your favor because it got you in from fullscreen. It was probably the best counter zoning tool in the game. This one is actually an interesting nerf, interesting to see how it affects him, probably not much at all, but I don't think he needed the nerf, Maybe it's just bad game design in there eyes though I can see that, completely shutting down an entire style of play with one button kinda asks for it

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
it low profiles most projectiles and even if it is a mid and still hits, the trade is in your favor because it got you in from fullscreen. It was probably the best counter zoning tool in the game. This one is actually an interesting nerf, interesting to see how it affects him, probably not much at all, but I don't think he needed the nerf, Maybe it's just bad game design in there eyes though I can see that, completely shutting down an entire style of play with one button kinda asks for it
There is absolutely no way ex slide is anywhere near the best counter zoning tool in the entire game. Take boneshaper's ex scoop for example - except for maybe predator's straight laser, you can already punish pretty much every projectile in the game on reaction with ex scoop. The faster startup of ex slide is irrelevant. However, unlike slide, you get a full combo and a restand with ex scoop. Also, you are not *in* from full screen after an ex slide. The opponent literally does not need to block anything afterward if they tech roll. Even reptile's farthest reaching normal - f2 - does not reach after ex slide. And even if it did reach, there is no mixup there if you spent your bar on the slide. To make matters worse, if your opponent is smart and they back dash on wakeup after a tech roll, I am nearly full screen again. I am marginally closer to the opponent after "counter zoning" them, but still in a neutral situation. I could have just walked forward and not spent a bar, which is way better for a meter hungry character like Reptile.

Anyway, I just re-tested this in XL, it looks like ex slide is full screen again and it was a beta-only change.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
There is absolutely no way ex slide is anywhere near the best counter zoning tool in the entire game. Take boneshaper's ex scoop for example - except for maybe predator's straight laser, you can already punish pretty much every projectile in the game on reaction with ex scoop. The faster startup of ex slide is irrelevant.
Well sir, that is just wrong. The faster start up makes a massive difference, and is the difference between reactibility or not on plenty of projectiles. You should watch this video.

EX-Slide may not hit the hardest, but it is definitely the most reliable counter zoning tool in the game, full screen 6f start up, armored low profiling and next to no travel time. And it does full combo punish some moves too from fullscreen, as shown in the video. Shinnok's is up there as well however, probably #2, or at worst they are tied for that number 1 spot, they are good in different ways, but to say there is "no ex-slide is anywhere near the best counter zoning tool" is just fucking nuts lol

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
"because the two characters both have almost nothing in common outside of DoT, but they have that in common so that must mean the newest one completely outclasses the other!"

It's day 2 bruh. Day 1 depending on where you are. Just shhhhh.
It's so true. They aren't all that similar and they both play very different games.

I use Noxious, Venomous and Acidic.
However, Reptile will always be my go to because he's the most versatile and has a VERY good trap game.

I think they should just make Acid Puddle like MK9's Acid Stream, though.

Israel

Noob
"because the two characters both have almost nothing in common outside of DoT, but they have that in common so that must mean the newest one completely outclasses the other!"

It's day 2 bruh. Day 1 depending on where you are. Just shhhhh.
Reptile has a dash, Alien has a dash (crawl).
-Reptiles is faster, knocksdown, ex can juggle
-Alien restands, can be used in mid combo, ex version restands to continue in combo.

Reptile has a Pounce, Alien has a pounce.
-Reptiles pounce goes over projectiles, used as anti-zoner. Can be ex'd to juggle. -100 on block.
-Alien can lunge to do a grappling move. Ex for more damage. -12 (ithink) Cant combo, however can be a combo ender.

Reptile has DoT variation, Alien as a Acidic varition that deals with DoT.
-Reptile does tick damage upclose, can ex it. Can make a puddle using 1 bar of meter to damage over time.
-Alien can rapidly spit acid , also from air (even from basic poke, such as d4 , u3). Acid does Tick damage overtime. Alien can use acid techniques mid combo, ending combo. He has a acid spit where he restands his opponent, does damage over time..continue pressure. The acid where he restands the opponent, also lays a puddle on ground, adding more damage overtime

they have plenty of common moves. Alien IS the new reptile. Reptile is a jack of all trades, master at none.

Cant say if Alien is a jack of all trades yet, because he just dropped, but he is definately a master in the trade of DoT.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Reptile does not get love? Pretty sure the entire Reptile community loves their character to death.
Boy yes we do.

What i just need now is a Green Steel costume :D
Quite literally, this is the ONLY thing left that I want from NRS. Please. I'll gladly pay. Double if you want. I'm a supporter. Just make Emerald Reptile happen! (Mask complications are a non factor for me)

Oh and Reptile is still an excellent character overall. Yes there's less advantage in invisibility, but you still get to make the opponent guess when to armor or poke. A lot of people still let me get away with constant pressure and chip when invisible because they're afraid to let go of block.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Reptile has a dash, Alien has a dash (crawl).
-Reptiles is faster, knocksdown, ex can juggle
-Alien restands, can be used in mid combo, ex version restands to continue in combo.

Reptile has a Pounce, Alien has a pounce.
-Reptiles pounce goes over projectiles, used as anti-zoner. Can be ex'd to juggle. -100 on block.
-Alien can lunge to do a grappling move. Ex for more damage. -12 (ithink) Cant combo, however can be a combo ender.

Reptile has DoT variation, Alien as a Acidic varition that deals with DoT.
-Reptile does tick damage upclose, can ex it. Can make a puddle using 1 bar of meter to damage over time.
-Alien can rapidly spit acid , also from air (even from basic poke, such as d4 , u3). Acid does Tick damage overtime. Alien can use acid techniques mid combo, ending combo. He has a acid spit where he restands his opponent, does damage over time..continue pressure. The acid where he restands the opponent, also lays a puddle on ground, adding more damage overtime

they have plenty of common moves. Alien IS the new reptile. Reptile is a jack of all trades, master at none.

Cant say if Alien is a jack of all trades yet, because he just dropped, but he is definately a master in the trade of DoT.
Reptile has Slide and a chip damage Aura, Scorpion has a Slide and a Chip damage aura - SAME CHARACTER?? DOES SCORPION MAKE REPTILE OBSOLETE?

Oh but Scorpion has a Spear and a Teleport, and Smoke has a Spear and Teleport - SMOKE OFFICIALLY MAKES SCORPION REDUNDANT?

But Smoke has a Phase Away and and a Teleport, and Mileena has a phase away and a Teleport - MILEENA MAKES SMOKE IRRELEVANT?

hold up tho, Reptile has a Slide and an Invis, Smoke has a Slide and an Invis - SMOKE BACK RELEVANT AGAIN!!?

this is just such a flat out stupid way of looking at it. Aliens "slide" has more in common with Mileenas ball than Reptiles Slide - for starters its unarmored, slower, hits mid and goes into combo. Their playstyle is completely different, and the actual tools they have are incomparable, even the way they apply the DoT is completely different.

Israel

Noob
Reptile has Slide and a chip damage Aura, Scorpion has a Slide and a Chip damage aura - SAME CHARACTER?? DOES SCORPION MAKE REPTILE OBSOLETE?

Oh but Scorpion has a Spear and a Teleport, and Smoke has a Spear and Teleport - SMOKE OFFICIALLY MAKES SCORPION REDUNDANT?

But Smoke has a Phase Away and and a Teleport, and Mileena has a phase away and a Teleport - MILEENA MAKES SMOKE IRRELEVANT?

hold up tho, Reptile has a Slide and an Invis, Smoke has a Slide and an Invis - SMOKE BACK RELEVANT AGAIN!!?

this is just such a flat out stupid way of looking at it. Aliens "slide" has more in common with Mileenas ball than Reptiles Slide - for starters its unarmored, slower, hits mid and goes into combo. Their playstyle is completely different, and the actual tools they have are incomparable, even the way they apply the DoT is completely different.
Calm down.

i for one, actually went into detail in my conclusions. And also, unless u actually play reptile, like as a main..u wouldnt understand when i say 'The new reptile.' your just from the outside looking in and saying ' They are not the same.' Now if u actually do play him on that level, then u just simply disagree. Call me a scrub and keep it going. So let me simply if for you incase you dont main him like that..

-they both are CREATURES. Meaning, NOT HUMAN that deal with ACID
-they both have DASH like moves. If its a crawl, same thing. lizards crawl dont they?
-They both have a variation that does THE SAME THING, one is just better.

So when i say hes the new reptile, im saying it as 'Look, theres a new character in a game, who is also a creature, who can do what something reptile can do, with acid, better!'

im not saying they're the same character. if u take that way then i cant break it down any further.
If a new character was to come in that deals with Flames, and teleporting , and summoning demons or whatever...and he happens to do something scorpion can do, but BETTER. I guarentee you yourself would say 'look guys, the NEW scorpion.'
And yes your right, the way they do DoT IS completely different. One does it much better than the other.