What's new

Etiquette for Begging

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Good evening folks! I had a question about what is appropriate and what isn't appropriate.

Now, obviously we're all trying to get better. Some of us, myself included, have much farther to go than others. But every so often, I'll see someone online who is fairly well known for being good with a character I play. For example, I noticed GGA Max on just now and I use Bane as an alt. Now, I lurk in the character forums and I try to learn what I can based upon what tips and strategies other people post and my experimenting with them. But if you see someone on randomly and were curious if they had any tips for an up and comer, what is the proper etiquette for asking for some pointers? Specifically, if you were just asking for a quick opinion or some beginner's tips? I see Max doing well on GBS and I'm curious if he could just point out three things he believes are important to Bane players or perhaps something along those lines. I use a fairly passive and isolated example simply for the sake of addressing niceties in the most simple and benign of requests. But I don't know Max, I've never played him, and I don't live anywhere near him. Is it considered appropriate to message him randomly and say, "Why hello there! I have never met you but would like to pick your brain!" Should I go through the forums and make a general appeal, and then conveniently tag him and other players who are considered Bane aficionados? Or should I just suck it up and figure it out on my own based on the information I already have? Obviously, I've been moving along on the latter option for some time now. But it's been mentioned about how people talk about on these forums how we should be chummy and help others and what not. Hence, my question about the proper and polite way to go about such a thing, from the point of view of someone seeking help or a quick tip.

Thank you for your time in reading this thread! If nothing else, I've occupied your time for about sixty seconds. If you have nothing to offer in answering my question, then you can be sure I'll savor your time and its unlawful acquisition.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I don't know GGA Max (let alone anyone on the forums) personally but I think you should just reach out to him and find out what happens.

Just make sure to be respectful.
You know, that was my first thought. I just assumed these guys probably get asked for info all the time, which would probably get annoying at some point. Besides, I used GGA Max as an example only. If I was going to harass someone for tips, it would be P2W or WoundCowboy. Because... you know... yellow is power and all that jazz.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
You know, that was my first thought. I just assumed these guys probably get asked for info all the time, which would probably get annoying at some point. Besides, I used GGA Max as an example only. If I was going to harass someone for tips, it would be P2W or WoundCowboy. Because... you know... yellow is power and all that jazz.
You make a valid point and since I'm not a top player I guess it's easier for me to suggest you taking that route.

From my limited time being on the forums it would seem most players wouldn't mind helping the community progress but that's just my perspective.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You're thinking too much about this. This community, despite it's drama, is very open to anyone asking anything. Your favorite players aren't celebrities that think low of you. If someone doesn't answer you it's only because they're swamped. It'll never be because you're "not worthy" of their time.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
You're thinking too much about this. This community, despite it's drama, is very open to anyone asking anything. Your favorite players aren't celebrities that think low of you. If someone doesn't answer you it's only because they're swamped. It'll never be because you're "not worthy" of their time.
Ha! I believe you misunderstand me, sir. I posted this thread, and the request for insight on the most polite and accommodating way to approach, because people in this community seem to want to help. Thus, I don't want to ask some questions or possibly for some matches if they're already swamped with other requests or real life in general. I've come a long way on my own, and so that thought doesn't bother me. I just don't want to ask someone for some insight or tips if they are already dealing with a bunch of things already, and so I want to be as agreeable as possible if I am approaching someone when they're "swamped".

Also, I kind of wanted to know what people expect. I may ask for some tips or ideas and only have time for some brief input. I don't want to approach someone if I'm in a crunch, and then can't deliver if they're wanting to show me something or play a couple of matches.

I realize I'm over thinking it, hence why I'm asking for input. I'm just curious about the best approach so I don't give anyone false expectations/ideas or waste anyone's time. Ultimately, it just comes down to wanting to respect another human being's time and privacy. It seems like my initial idea was accurate, though, so I may send some PMs out when I have the time.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
one reason i like that am no longer flash of america is all the PM's pretty much asking the same thing, either how to use flash or how to beat him. now don't get me wrong i love sharing all this info but back when i was being asked i was going through training at my job and i needed to study a lot to get license and it was a pain so i pretty much just made one post and copy pasted, expect for @Under_The_Mayo he's special :D

but anyway i would just PM him on here, if you are very specific in what you ask am sure he wouldn't mind giving you a hand. but just as one warning if you ever add him online please for the love of god don't inv and message him EVERY single time you see him get on, not to be hollywood but am sure that would annoy just about anyone.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
one reason i like that am no longer flash of america is all the PM's pretty much asking the same thing, either how to use flash or how to beat him. now don't get me wrong i love sharing all this info but back when i was being asked i was going through training at my job and i needed to study a lot to get license and it was a pain so i pretty much just made one post and copy pasted, expect for @Under_The_Mayo he's special :D

but anyway i would just PM him on here, if you are very specific in what you ask am sure he wouldn't mind giving you a hand. but just as one warning if you ever add him online please for the love of god don't inv and message him EVERY single time you see him get on, not to be hollywood but am sure that would annoy just about anyone.
Wait you give advice on how to beat your character to random people? Damn, you're nicer than me.

.... So... how do I beat Flash?

-Send Max a PM.
-If he doesn't respond create a thread on Bane forums asking for tips and tagging Bane players.

But your questions shouldn't be broad or vague. Be specific about what you want to know and what your weaknesses are.

"Tell me what are the 3 most important things to know when learning Bane?" isn't really specific. If you ask something like that they'll probably just answer "know your combos, know your setups and know when to use your armor". And you'll feel stupid about having to ask a second and third question to know what you really want to know.

Last edited:

Fromundaman

I write too much.
block low.
Buuuuut Zyphox.... What about the overhead and/or crossup shenanigans?

(On a more serious note, since you're here, where is flash punishable other than the gap on his overhead string and blocking the charge low? I felt like he was always + when I played against him this weekend.)

GGA Max

hey. feel free to ask specific questions in pm's. many people do ask me stuff and i dont mind giving my opinion.

by the way i dont play bane online because of timing issues for offline, yesterday i was using my new alt....... sinestro :joker: