What's new

Tech Ending Rain's Combos with Aqua Splash

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I've been playing Rain consistently for around a month now and have pretty much learned the staples of the character. His BnB's, his Super Kick cancel pressure, armored moves - the works. I like the feel of this character's playstyle, because I do tons of stance cancel pressure with Sonya Blade so it kinda became natural.

One thing I've come to notice is how the Rain players end their combos with usually the Geyser Kick or just 4 3 Teleport. I experimented with Rain last night while my Internet was down and I started using the Aqua Splash (b + f + 1) to end his combos. This option completely removes the risk of your opponent's Wake-Up attacks. What I wonder is, why do I not see this ender being used often? Is there something about the other options that make them superior to this one?

It's sort of like what Mileena players should do more when ending their combos, by using the Leap Bite to get damage and prevent them from using Wake-Ups. But unlike the Leap Bite, Rain's Aqua Splash cannot be Breakered, which makes it all the better.

Wanted to put this out there for you Rain players to consider.

gdf

Noob
Oh man, I hate the Aqua Splash ender. Playing Kung Lao, I restart my pressure with wake-ups. So when a Rain player spaces me out, and uses that move, I just can't get in.

Enenra

Go to hell.
43 teleport is really good as well. For some reason, 4rh beats out most wake ups out right. That's what I've been using instead, but against KL I REALLY do prefer aqua splash.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
Why do you care if they use a wake-up attack when they're fullscreen and you can't pressure them anyway? And Rain can armoured dash through almost any wake-up. Many chars you can just d4xxRHC to stuff all their options. And Rain is pretty bad at anywhere beyond sweep/jip range, so if you're going to send them back to fullscreen you want the extra damage.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Most of the time I tp/b2, 3/storm when the opponent is on the ground, using the splash push them far away from you, I don't really like that (rain zoning sucks) so I don't use it that much. Also, most of big combos are dropped if you use the splash.

I mostly use it as an AA, or just to push some attacks (like the 2, 1, f2 of JC), when I do storm, bubble, 4, RH, 4, 3, splash or when I'm doing the storm, upercut, 4, 3, bubble, 4, 3, splash.

Imho, anti-wake up are good when they work close to you (JC, sonya). If it pushes the opponent too far I don't get the point.

Btw, I've noticed that lighting right after a splash is a good trap (works very often for me, except if the opponent is jumping).

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
My brother uses the splash when I'm cornered, something like 43geyser, 43lightning, 2splash and he remains right beside me. It's a good way to get a throw or another 43/3 pressure. The only bad thing is that it's -1 on hit, so be careful.

Slade

Make It Rain
For me personally in training mode, I can never hit aqua splash consistently (after RH) unless I just do 1AS.

Maybe it's me, or the window/timing off of RH is really tight. I can also understand what everyone else is saying. You just have to decide whether negating opponent's wakeup is worth it, or if you want to keep that pressure. Based on the responses here, do you guys now just think it depends on the matchup? JC/Sonya/Jax/KL, do splash. Everyone else, do teleport?

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I personally feel it's a great option; however, I believe it to be a great situational option. Basically, if you've been eating wake-up attacks the whole match or you fear the opponent's wake-ups then go for it. Ending with H20 Blast is usually one of your most damaging options and it gives you some space to breath, but keep in mind -- you don't always want space to breathe because then you have to re-approach and try to get in which isn't always the ideal scenario.

Basically,
Just know your situation. That's really what playing Rain is all about; knowing what to do in every situation. I like to use this option against Kung Lao (so he can't wake-up Teleport/eX Teleport or Spin) and I like to use it on Raiden (Teleport) and Reptile (pretty much every wake-up) so it's all about finding your comfort zone. It's also pretty good against Sonya and Kitana (more so Sonya because sometimes you just have to be in Kitana's face to do anything).

Keep in mind that the spacing H20 Blast gives isn't ideal range to start Roundhouse pressure and usually you'll find your opponents back up more often than not which I find to be more annoying than anything.

Hope I helped in some way Sonya Blake

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I don't like using waterthrower at the end of combos since you can't bait unsafe wake ups and it puts the opponent really far away from you. One thing I have noticed is that Rain gets lamed out worse than almost any character in the game. Also it not being breakerable is kind of bad, wouldn't it be awesome if they breakered the list hit of your combo (unless it was to kill them in the final round)?