What's new

Breakthrough Eddy Wang Rant on Bird Lao

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys, i decided to flip up the button and enter on A F0xy Grampa mode and play the role as Bird Lao to test its effectality against if not the entire cast.

And i've got to assure you Bird Lao is trully ridiculous, the JKDK goes over the head and land in the opposite side gives BL the options to do as he pleases while everyone is worried to catch BL between dive kicks and JKDK. He will be watching your next reaction and punish it on reaction accordingly to what you decide to do, and why is that.

JKDK buts BL in range to play his best tools and messes up with the opponent patience to try to hit him or punish him at all cost, but hopeless due the range and the safe dive kick will definitely provoke the best reaction you wouldn't want to as a high level player, that is using attacks in plain sight of risk of being whiff punished, jumped over or bait punishable stuff, either on block or whiff.

BL is so good, that you can't:

- Uppercut the BL tactic, he will whiff punish with 21
- trying to anticipate JKDK with iaNJP, he can bait this up by staying quiet and AA you before lands
- Jump in as he lands its a bad idea, KL will spin, AA or dive kick punish on reaction, or you might lose the trade.
- Dash in might not be good, you'll completely enter the 21 range and amplifying the BL tactic range again, but this depends of who you're playing and how this player see stuffs.
- Throwing Slow recovering projectiles is a very bad idea, it gives time to BL to jump in again and punish or tele punish if he pleases with a full damaging combo.

Since he can do pretty much everything because his offense is enhanced from the JKDK i went on a deep analyses of what options as Skarlet, i wouldn't defend any other character because i dunno them, but some of them are totally free to BL, however as Skarlet this MU will require something more from her, since everything is so fast paced put some things in mind.

The Common mistake committed to this tactic is trying to approach BL one way or another, or trying to react in his range of free movement given by the dive kick with no recovery frames.
What you have to do as Skarlet, is not getting in to close the gap between you and Bird Lao, you have to step away from Bird Lao, this way you will be closing the gap of the JKDK's whiff range to work in perfection.

Why closing the gap?

- This is also something expected by the Bird Lao, so if you close the JKDK whiff range and KL happens to jump, he might jip to blockstring while you expect a DK and keep blocking afraid he may change in the last second and dive kick. (PL anyone?)

The Key to minimize this lies there, once you step away and he jumps in you can only expect 3 things:
- Teleport to whiff punish your AA.
- Dive Kick (risk of being stuffed by your AA, but it may happen other way around)
- Jump in Punch into blockstring since you're blocking (worst if you character doesn't have a fast normal, with good vertical hitbox).

DO NOT STAY THERE.
You can minimize your chances even more, if you step away completely from the Jump Kick, you will be able to close all his gaps and whiff punish a Jump in Punch with a F4 combo, or a Jump Kick with a Blockstring as he lands, bait spin as he lands, or still being able to counter in case he teleports or dive kick in the last second.
There Skarlet has a chance, because that is her range, not on the Dive Kick whiff range, which will definitely be annoying.

But to do this, you can't lose your calm, if you frustrate yourself because of the annoying Bird Lao tactic you will ending up giving him what he wants, which is more variations of the annoyance to keep toying you with whiff punishes, JKDK, and all his options completely reliable off that range.

I don't want to look like a Skarlet up player or downplayer, i just enjoy the game and love challenges, even though i don't see this as a 6-4 KL favor, i do understand the majority of Skarlet players having difficulties to deal up with Lao in general, so my personal score on this MU is 5-5 because i feel it like a 5-5 MU to me, the reason that makes me shiver over KL is not the bird Lao itself, is the capability he has to not be toyed with shenanigans and pressure full of gaps which a good KL will put up its good use to prevent Skarlet to start her pressure, which is his 6f spin and 7f standing 2 that can be used at any point of the match.

Because Skarlet only has a 6f and 7f poke, while he has a 6f launcher and 7f string that can be 0 on block when the next sequence is added into it.

That's it, i hope you enjoyed the rant, i can't give you a video because the gear is at Natgil, there is more things you can do but only after KL stop birding over and over, which is difficult, this topic was focusing on the Bird Tatic only, not what it could happen if he suddenly switches playstyle, which is what you should do it at the same time.

Either way, we still win in damage wise, and its just a matter of practice against good KL everytime you can, there is no way you will reach the dead end alley like manny characters kano tiers does.

Lets give this a 6-4 KL over general Skarlet players difficulty (not me lol) but anyway.
I would like to thank you all for your input into this, on the Bird Lao vs Skarlet MU.
Pig Of The Hut for the Input as well
L0rdoftheFLY
A F0xy Grampa for the information and explanation (He is already tagged).
Ninj
PerfectMindGame
THTB
UsedForGlue
And everyone who contributed to this sometimes healthy and unhealthy discussion.

and note.
I'm not stiring things up, so pls do not bring any negativity to this thread, i will not allow this.

- Eddy Wang -

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Good writeup. I definitely agree that too many people get caught trying to catch up to him, but the better idea is to occupy his dive kick space with your own body, aka every time he dive kicks over you, just back up.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Good writeup. I definitely agree that too many people get caught trying to catch up to him, but the better idea is to occupy his dive kick space with your own body, aka every time he dive kicks over you, just back up.
yup which is as i refered in the OP (closing the JKDK whiff range by stepping away from him instead of getting in) however its not good enough sometimes.
the dash nerf ensured to ^^

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You can reverse input red dash when he birds over you, eh?
you can but you will closing on him, and this is what KL wants.

Its also possible to red dash under him before KL activates dive kick to auto correct it, both characters will travel on same direction which he can be upslashed before he lands but this is practically very situational and very complicated to figure it without proper practicing. With Crimson Dash he gets a full combo by regular dash back with 2f of free armor, that will trade with the dave kick and put him on the roller state

NKZero

Noob
Eddy Wang

Still not understanding this at all, but that's nothing against your write-up lol. I just wanted to know how this jk-dive kick works. How does it whiff and go over someone? I'm a little confused :oops:

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
You just do 21 then iaJKDK. JK hits on block and DK passes over them and lands on a safe distance on the other side. He can then, based on your reaction, move in for a combo, dash and bird Lao agian etc. etc. etc.

edit: At least that's how I understand it...

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Great write up, Eddy.

I have nothing of substance to add except the fact that KL is still, STILL having new tech discovered like this that only adds to his already staggering arsenal is the reason I hate Kung Lao with every fiber of my being.

I hope you KL mains are happy. Fusrodah these nuts.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
EVO 2011: 2,4,low hat
EVO 2012: Instant tele 3
EVO 2013: Bird Lao

Niqqas ain't ready. REO already died of a heart attack just at the thought of having to go up against PL+Bird Lao in one entity.
Couldnt have said it better my self

Perfect

Eddy Wang I definitely feel BL is 6-4 over skarlet. BL is kinda under rated, why is it every year BL/KL wins an evo and we have a mid season crisis where people say he isnt even top 15

GTFO here, he's not top 15 ....BL is legend

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Awesome rant, sir Eddy :D.
It kind of makes me feel like I was cool before cool was cool because I've always played Bird Lao Style.
Now if only my bird could get better and evolve from a Pidgeotto to an Articuno already...

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Walking backwards opens up his 24 string really well, the range on it is massive. But it's only any good to you if you stance check, but I've never seen any other KL stance check still, so its just a waste of his potential still.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Couldnt have said it better my self

Perfect

Eddy Wang I definitely feel BL is 6-4 over skarlet. BL is kinda under rated, why is it every year BL/KL wins an evo and we have a mid season crisis where people say he isnt even top 15

GTFO here, he's not top 15 ....BL is legend

I don't stance check because its a waste of time foxy, its better to focus on the match, not what stance your opponent is in, Besides 24 is still good even if ur not going to spin them.

btw, i wanna play you online A F0xy Grampa

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions

I don't stance check because its a waste of time foxy, its better to focus on the match, not what stance your opponent is in, Besides 24 is still good even if ur not going to spin them.

btw, i wanna play you online A F0xy Grampa
Stance checking turns your 2 4 from a 15% string, into a 35% combo, HARDLY a waste of time if you ask me. If it takes more than a second for you to tell how which stance somebody is in, then yeah it would be a waste of time, but its not hard at all.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Stance checking turns your 2 4 from a 15% string, into a 35% combo, HARDLY a waste of time if you ask me. If it takes more than a second for you to tell how which stance somebody is in, then yeah it would be a waste of time, but its not hard at all.
still not the easiest thing to do. 15% isn't bad.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
HGTV Ermacio has been playing a bird lao for a long time and its fucked up. Very frustrating to fight in any matchup. At WB he took out Peckapowa and it confused the hell out of him.