What's new

Question Downplaying Oneself

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
For the longest time I had been hoping to make this thread. Let me try to motivate the topic at hand here.

Before I mention anything, I would be the first to admit I'm a big downplayer, sometimes even taking to too far. However, the form of downplaying we're used to seeing on this site comes in the form of character downplaying with WoundCowboy being the most notorious player to do so. It even goes far such that certain people on this site like to refer to that as Woundcowboy-ism.

But that's not what this thread is about and I have nothing against Cowboy, he's one of my favorite players to watch and hope he continues to do well in this community despite how ridiculous he can sound sometimes. The topic at hand I'm referring to is self-downplaying. I am a pathological self-downplayer at my core, regardless of what I do be it playing games or writing fanfiction.

The questions I'd like to address regarding that is does it make a person an asshole. We all know there are scrubs claiming to be hot shit at a certain aspect of a game based on their online statistics and are often boastful about it. I have reason to believe this is exactly the opposite in the sense that a player can state that they suck at a game online when it is evident by their gameplay that they are above average in the games the play which is where the implication of stating that these people are detestable. I've read that those who do this do this for some sort of satisfaction though I personally I would have to disagree.

Three years of playing IGAU made me hungry to learn how the game works at a higher level and it has indeed leveled me up as a player. However, my issue with this that I never liked the terms 'level-up' or 'great player' etc. I downplay the hell out of myself but at my very core I never had some sort of twisted form of satisfaction doing it. I downplay myself because I feel there is still more I have to learn, more that I would like to learn, more that I aspire to learn.

I never thought of myself even as an average player or argue even half-decent though my gameplay can suggests otherwise. I don't do it so I can steamroll people, I do it because I am an extremely humble person at least until I find myself in a vexing situation. I never brag about my own personal skill (I'd even consider myself trash), I rarely ever talk about it but whenever I want to disapprove someone, I blow them up for their lack of skill rather than me telling them of my own, making this sound a tad bit contradictory.

While some people will acknowledge that I am indeed good or even godlike, I shun those statements, I push them aside in complete denial. Not because I'm an asshole looking for wins but because I know what my own weaknesses are and I know that I have zero confidence in what I do, I just try to stay humble about it or not talk of it at all. I don't want to be a person who’s driven by their online ego much less a person going out of their way to harass other players with a humble-facade when I really don't have one.

I want to believe I'm a good player but fear developing arrogance. Everyone is their own worst enemy in that sense.

TLDR: Is downplaying oneself make you look like a condescending person, and why is it if my intention isn't to be it? Why is such a behavior looked down upon?

Last edited:
Maybe I misread your post, but I don't think it's condescending at all. Describing a player as "great" or "high level" is only relevant to what your are comparing it to. Compared to your average joe "xxSniperxx00" online fighting game player, yeah you can be considered godlike, but compared to players in an offline tournament scene it's a different story.

Since I only care about the offline scene (despite seeing myself as a casual player), I would consider myself a low level player compared to others in the offline scene. Just my two cents.

The only way I can see it as condescending is if you use it as an option select for just getting straight out outplayed. Like saying "I really don't play this game, I'm trash at it" after losing convincingly in a set against someone.

Crusty

Downplaying. Upplaying.

What about just playing. No offense but you have nothing to prove, say, defend or downplay.

Let your skills do the talking.
This is just a general question i wanted to talk about for a while, I've heard countless times that being humble about your skill in games leads to condescension. I'm very humble but I downplay, how does that make me arrogant?

Crusty

Maybe I misread your post, but I don't think it's condescending at all. Describing a player as "great" or "high level" is only relevant to what your are comparing it to. Compared to your average joe "xxSniperxx00" online fighting game player, yeah you can be considered godlike, but compared to players in an offline tournament scene it's a different story.

Since I only care about the offline scene (despite seeing myself as a casual player), I would consider myself a low level player compared to others in the offline scene. Just my two cents.

The only way I can see it as condescending is if you use it as an option select for just getting straight out outplayed. Like saying "I really don't play this game, I'm trash at it" after losing convincingly in a set against someone.
That is the case with myself, it bugs me because from time to time when I get outplayed. I don't make excuses not playing the game but I legitimately call myself trash sometimes. I say it because I know my very clear mistakes and it just makes me want to talk about this

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Downplaying yourself is something I used to do and looking back, it is absolutely cancerous. No one wants to be around someone who constantly loathes about "I fucking suck at this game man" when they are clearly better than they say and I'm honestly surprised some of my friends still even play me nowadays after the cancer I used to be. You should be above that and act more your age about how good you are instead of acting like an angsty teenager.

That's why I think it's looked down on but do I think it's condescending? Ehhh not really. Condescending implies that you believe you're better than them and if you just got beat, well you have no right to be condescending to them. That's how I see it anyways.

That is the case with myself, it bugs me because from time to time when I get outplayed. I don't make excuses not playing the game but I legitimately call myself trash sometimes. I say it because I know my very clear mistakes and it just makes me want to talk about this
Well, I don't feel calling yourself "trash" is the greatest attitude. I know you don't mean it, but it can come off as an excuse to actually improve and get better.

Also, making mistakes is a part of the fighting game process, high level players make them all the time. The difference is they work constantly trying to improve on those mistakes, practicing punishes, or recreating situations and figuring out what they could have done differently.

All these things take time. Some players do it faster than others. Doesn't mean that your trash (or that you should see yourself as trash), but it does mean you'll probably have to put more work in to get the results you want.

Crusty

Well, I don't feel calling yourself "trash" is the greatest attitude. I know you don't mean it, but it can come off as an excuse to actually improve and get better.

Also, making mistakes is a part of the fighting game process, high level players make them all the time. The difference is they work constantly trying to improve on those mistakes, practicing punishes, or recreating situations and figuring out what they could have done differently.

All these things take time. Some players do it faster than others. Doesn't mean that your trash (or that you should see yourself as trash), but it does mean you'll probably have to put more work in to get the results you want.
It's not about me being trash. It's that I know that I am a person who can play fighting games but knowing what my flaws are, I just don't want to be arrogant about that. I feel I have a lot to learn. I downplay myself because I still don't think of myself as a rookie even though I don't even play like that anymore. I don't want the terms 'competent player' clouding my judgement in that regard.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
This is just a general question i wanted to talk about for a while, I've heard countless times that being humble about your skill in games leads to condescension. I'm very humble but I downplay, how does that make me arrogant?
Never said or implied arrogance. None of those things listed really. Just your own skills.

Let me give a quick thought.

Inspectah Deck from the Wu Tang Clan had a powerful song which the hook was

"Show n Prove"

I live by that everyday. This is what I mentioned about playing. About your skills. You do you blood. And you win and lose of that. Humbleness is just a slice of the pie. It's the rest of the pie that fills you up.

Now downplaying IS something we all do in some sort of fashion everyday to some degree. It's a good quality to have to be honest like the way you went into detail describing and your not wrong because this is how you feel.

It could aslo taken for the wrong ways but when that happens whether it's in the forms, school, work or life in general.

Show n Prove. To you dawg.

Too. Only. You.

Very good topic btw.

Goat-City

Banned
I think I see what you're saying. Basically, you know you're good at the game, but you also know there are people who could body you 10-0 if they wanted to. You're saying you wouldn't want to tell players you know you're better than that you're really good at the game because you know that you would be completely free to a lot of people. It's a nice attempt at being moral, but there's no way around the fact that there's no reason to lie to yourself or other people about your skill level. You know they know you're lying, and you know you're lying, so who are you fooling?

Admitting that you're very good at something doesn't mean you're unjustly arrogant as long as you admit there are other people much better than you. Like I know I'm very good at MKX, but I've been 5-0'd by several other good online players, but these players who have bodied me know I'm also very good at the game. They would never say I suck, not by a long shot, so why would I say I suck just because I lost to them when I know it isn't true?

Arrogance is thinking you're better than you are, so I don't see how you could be considered arrogant if you simply admit you're as good as you honestly think you are. And even if you did somehow end up misjudging your skill level, who cares? You learn from your mistakes and you correct them. Trying to refrain from making a mistake by making another one, which would be lying in this case, is cowardly and makes no sense.

For example, I don't think anyone would call sonicfox arrogant for saying he's the best MKX player in the world. He's clearly proven and backed that up. But someone could come along tomorrow and could completely blow him out of the water, 100-0 him with every character in the game or something crazy like that lol. Sonicfox would then realize he does not deserve to be called the best player in the world. That doesn't mean he was arrogant before, he just learned he made a misjudgment and he learned from it, no harm done. But imagine if this whole time he was dominating the MKX scene he was saying he sucks at the game because this hypothetical MKX god bodied him 100-0 free. Wouldn't that be annoying?

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
For the longest time I had been hoping to make this thread. Let me try to motivate the topic at hand here.

Before I mention anything, I would be the first to admit I'm a big downplayer, sometimes even taking to too far. However, the form of downplaying we're used to seeing on this site comes in the form of character downplaying with WoundCowboy being the most notorious player to do so. It even goes far such that certain people on this site like to refer to that as Woundcowboy-ism. But that's not what this thread is about and I have nothing against Cowboy, he's one of my favorite players to watch and hope he continues to do well in this community despite how ridiculous he can sound sometimes.

The topic at hand I'm referring to is the notion of self-downplaying. I am a pathological self-downplayer at my core, regardless of what I do be it playing games or writing fanfiction.

The questions I'd like to address regarding that is does it make a person an asshole. We all know there are scrubs claiming to be hot shit at a certain aspect of a game based on their online statistics and are often boastful about it. I have reason to believe this is exactly the opposite in the sense that a player can state that they suck at a game online when it is evident by their gameplay that they are above average in the games the play which is where the implication of stating that these people are detestable. I've read that those who do this do this for some sort of satisfaction though I personally I would have to disagree.

Three years of playing IGAU made me hungry to learn how the game works at a higher level and it has indeed leveled me up as a player. However, my issue with this that I never liked the terms 'level-up' or 'great player' etc. I downplay the hell out of myself but at my very core I never had some sort of twisted form of satisfaction doing it. I downplay myself because I feel there is still more I have to learn, more that I would like to learn, more that I aspire to learn.

I never thought of myself as a even an average player or argue even half-decent though my gameplay can suggests otherwise. I don't do it so I can steamroll people, I do it because I am an extremely humble person at least until I find myself in a vexing situation. I never brag about my own personal skill (I'd even consider myself trash), I rarely ever talk about it but whenever I want to disapprove someone, I blow them up for their lack of skill rather than me telling them of my own, making this sound a tad bit contradictory.

While some people will acknowledge that I am indeed good or even godlike, I shun those statements, I push them aside in complete denial. Not because I'm an asshole looking for wins but because I know what my own weaknesses are and I know that I have zero confidence in what I do, I just try to stay humble about it o not talk of it at all. I don't want to be a person whose driven by their online ego much less a person going out of their way to harass other players with a humble-facade when I really don't have one.

I want to believe I'm a good player but fear developing arrogance. Every is their own worse enemy in that sense.

TLDR: Is downplaying oneself make you look like a condescending person, and why is it if my intention isn't to be it? Why is such an behavior looked down upon?
Seems kinda like you are suckling your own dick to me. Also might wanna work on that grammer boii

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I guess it depends on the level of downplay, raging that you are no good while running a train through the room is pretty obnoxious, but there is nothing wrong with being a little humble

I troll my buddies when I kick their ass but I laugh at my own dumb shit hard as anyone. the game's about fun at the end of the day. I'm no pro and being good is by no means a prequisite to playing the game correctly, so may as well call it how it is, even if I can kick some ass I don't aint the most consistent ever

Reactions: GAV

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Anyone that has Euro MKX add me on PSN, i want to know if i'm really this gud, these dudes i've been facing online quit after getting comboed into brutalities, even if i don't look down onto themselves and keep everything positive, there is always that guy who is salty about losing.

eddywangmk
If you want to find out that you're really gud, lets combine some GGs:DOGE