What's new

Question Does Ares need buffs/fixes?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Okay? So someone with mu knowledge can totally predict if you're going to wake up teleport, GS or DE? I'm sorry but no, IMO you have to play smarter. Sure his wakeups could be better but at the moment they're not a necessity.
No, that's not it. If predicting was what they had to do there wouldn't be a problem. The thing is, there are universal options that will blow up every single wake up option while also putting you at disadvantage if you don't wake up at all. No amount of playing smarter helps any significant amount, unless there's some option Ares has after a knockdown that I'm completely unaware of.

Lots of people seem to be not getting this, I may have to start making videos of what every character can do to completely ruin Ares' wake ups

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Yeah it does actually. Ares can't wake up out of every situation so that makes him not viable? I respectfully disagree. He may have shitty wake ups but in all honestly he doesn't NEED it at the moment to be viable. The next balance patch will determine that imo

not every,most situtations,
never said every nor did i say i want to be able to wake up for free and without risk.
when mu knowledge grows and opponents start exploting this more it will be more of a issue, he may not need it to be viable "at the moment" but he will in time so why wait till a whole kommunity is blowing something up rather than just ones with mu knowledge, ya know?

not every,most situtations,
never said every nor did i say i want to be able to wake up for free and without risk.
when mu knowledge grows and opponents start exploting this more it will be more of a issue, he may not need it to be viable "at the moment" but he will in time so why wait till a whole kommunity is blowing something up rather than just ones with mu knowledge, ya know?
That's exactly what i'm saying. the next patch will MAYBE give Ares buffs, and this may not be something we have to worry about though. I definitely agree though that we should take issue of it now for future uses

4x4lo8o What are the universal ways to punish Ares' wakeups?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
That's exactly what i'm saying. the next patch will MAYBE give Ares buffs, and this may not be something we have to worry about though. I definitely agree though that we should take issue of it now for future uses

4x4lo8o What are the universal ways to punish Ares' wakeups?

im confused, you were saying he doesnt need it but u agree he should get it in next patch? nevermind though, doesnt matter.
read post #32 in this thread, point 2 about the some universals ways

im confused, you were saying he doesnt need it but u agree he should get it in next patch? nevermind though, doesnt matter.
read post #32 in this thread, point 2 about the some universals ways
What he's saying is he doesn't feel like he needs better wakeup options, but that he should still have them. At some point he will need them, so they should be included in the next patch.

4x4lo8o

Noob

4x4lo8o What are the universal ways to punish Ares' wakeups besides throw?
I may have phrased that wrong, since when I said univeral I meant something that a character can do works against all of Ares options getting up(including standing and blocking, jumping, etc) as opposed to something that all characters can do, buuuuut

a simple neutral jump will be all of Ares wake ups other than wake up super.

Also, I think saying besides throw is ridiculous. The fact that the opponent can go for a throw as you wake up and still have time to recover and blow up any of your wake ups that avoid the throw is huge. That means that anytime the opponent uses an untechable knockdown or knocks you over in the corner you have to tech a throw. How is that ok?

Besides that, I'm sure pretty much every character has their own options. Nightwing, for example, can d1 and if he sees you GS or teleport he can react and full combo appropriately. So you have to stand up and block a d1 and all his following pressure. Even if you do far GS he can punish with Flying Grayson(and maybe Ground Blast).
Black Adam can do a jump back and on reaction chose to catch you for full j2 combo if you teleport, hit you out of GS with j2~divekick, MB divekick if you fireball, phase shift, front tele, or jump.

Getting up is a nightmare for Ares. Even against players who don't understand he wake ups and haven't figured out how to completely nullify them they can basically just jump at you and Ares has no strong options if it was timed well.

I phrased that wrong aswell, I didn't mean to put throw that's why I edited out. I agree with your points and can see that it's a pretty bad struggle for Ares when it comes to wake ups.

4x4's right, but we already know that Ares needs better wakeup options. He can do well without them, but that will only last so long. A neutral jump can beat his options, and I just went into practice mode and set the Ares dummy to always block and wakeup teleport. Even while walking back, when he teleports, I have enough time for a 3d2 full combo. This is pretty bad even though very few people really know how to exploit it. Ares is still a really good character, but as the game goes on and people start to learn the MU, this will become very very bad for him. It needs to be patched.

So, going over this thread, the most necessary buffs he needs are a better backdash and better wakeup options. That's not too much to ask for, and I hope NRS can give it to us by the next patch.

Here's a problem though: How should we change Ares's wakeup options to make them more viable? Make the recovery faster? Make the invincibility frames higher? Even with those two suggestions, he would still probably be subject to free pressure. Maybe we should make another thread for that while continuing the topic of other buffs/fixes he needs?

4x4lo8o

Noob
4x4's right, but we already know that Ares needs better wakeup options. He can do well without them, but that will only last so long. A neutral jump can beat his options, and I just went into practice mode and set the Ares dummy to always block and wakeup teleport. Even while walking back, when he teleports, I have enough time for a 3d2 full combo. This is pretty bad even though very few people really know how to exploit it. Ares is still a really good character, but as the game goes on and people start to learn the MU, this will become very very bad for him. It needs to be patched.

So, going over this thread, the most necessary buffs he needs are a better backdash and better wakeup options. That's not too much to ask for, and I hope NRS can give it to us by the next patch.

Here's a problem though: How should we change Ares's wakeup options to make them more viable? Make the recovery faster? Make the invincibility frames higher? Even with those two suggestions, he would still probably be subject to free pressure. Maybe we should make another thread for that while continuing the topic of other buffs/fixes he needs?
I don't think this is a matter of time. Maybe not everybody you run into online is doing it, but people I play with locally on a regular basis is already to the point of doing automatically without even thinking about it. Maybe in tournament you can get pretty far without seeing it, but that's mostly because even without it Ares isn't a threat to most characters. Anybody who's concerned about the Ares match up will figure it out pretty fast and even Ares does get other buffs or some gdlk Ares player starts winning tournaments the characters viability will not last long because of badly his wake ups will get exposed.

How to change them is the real problem. The only thing I can think of that would help and wouldn't seem pretty radical is to improve his back dash. It wouldn't change the fact that there's 1 set up that blows up all his wake ups and there'd still be ways to punish him for it I'm sure, but at least he'd have an option for getting away from that setup. Tbh that might not even help much.
I don't think changing his invincibility frames on his existing wake ups would help at all. The only other idea I have, and I think I mentioned this somewhere else, is to make his trait a wake up and give that some invincibility. I'm not sure if that's a reasonable option either, but I basically have no ideas about this. Straight Sword/Axe would still be punishable if blocked point blank, and up/down weapons won't hit if they cross you up, so it should be fair/not broken.

I'm with everybody on wanting bug fixes first.

d4 whiffing in the corner is a problem. If you have the opponent in the corner you cannot launch off of 22 or b1 or 3~d4 because the sword will whiff. On block f23~d4 will whiff against most characters and I've had 3~d4 whiff on block as well. Ares still manages to do pretty well in the corner, mostly off of set ups after a combo, but that's more than half his pressure and mix up game taken away once he gets to the corner. That's pretty fucked up.
112~d4 should also be fixed in the corner during juggles, we shouldn't have to time it the way we do but that change takes less priority than all the grounded stuff that whiffs. b1~d4 can also whiff midscreen for some reason. I'd hope there's some general fix or easy change to d4's hitbox they could make that would solve all of these

Making the second hit of 22 hit mid consistently would be nice, but I wouldn't consider it a priority. Most characters have strings like this, and in Ares case it only affects a few match ups and isn't too bad to work around.

The thing where you have to go to neutral before doing b4 if sword is recharging is annoying too. I think I've lost matches because of that before; you shouldn't have to stop blocking to throw Axe.

Also, the way forward advancing string make wake up teleport go in front of the opponent. This is not inputs getting crossed up while you're down, it's some kind of weird bug or mechanic where the opponent is clearly on one side of you as you're on the ground, you input wake up teleport behind, they do a forward advancing string into your invincibility frames, the animation for teleport behind happens, then you appear right in front of their string and get full combo punished. No reason for it, that's exactly the kind of pressure wake up teleport should be getting you out of(the opponent's not doing anything to respect that wake up option, just blindly pressuring without any thought) and you can't even blow them up for that with wake up Godsmack because they'd go under it.

As far as buffs, I don't know what to do. He has some huge problems against a lot of the top tier characters and he doesn't exactly demolish most of the low tier characters. I don't know what changes can be reasonably made without doing a huge overhaul though. I'm also sort of a proponent of just letting Paulo and Hector and Ed Boon do what they want and switching characters or dropping the game if I don't like it, I don't want to campaign for buffs. But since getting more community feedback is part of the reason we didn't get a patch today I'll throw in my two cents about stuff they could change if they're looking to improve Ares.

The biggest problem is wake ups. Ares wake ups are just completely non-intimidating. Every character in the game can punish Ares for trying to wake up while still being completely safe or getting free pressure if Ares decides not to wake up. I don't know how many people are doing it yet (the guys I play with offline have it down, no one really does it to me online, and there isn't enough tournament footage of Ares so I have no idea about that) but in the future it's going to be a huge problem that I think could prevent Ares from ever being tournament viable unless some really broken shit gets discovered in other aspects of his game. I don't have any idea what to do to fix it though. Adding more invincibility frames to his wake ups won't help. Even if you made Godsmack and Teleport completely invincible all the way through recovery (which a terrible idea and not something they should do) the opponent could still easily get free pressure. A better backdash or allowing his trait to be used as a wake up might help some

Some kind of increase to his mobility would be nice. Either a slightly faster walk speed or a little more distance on his back dash. Even a better forward dash would help, just because the range on his normals is so mediocre and the few characters I'm trying to get in on can pretty effectively keep Ares out.

I think his teleport could be faster. Either make the start up a few frames faster or the recovery a few frames faster. As it is now it's very difficult to use for counter zoning(you can't teleport out of the way of most projectiles on reaction and even if you do or you get a good read you often can't punish), basically impossible to use to whiff punish(too slow and stuff auto corrects), and isn't useful for mobility. I don't want a huge change, but I think shaving off a few frames on either side could make a significant difference to Ares players without being broken.

I'm a little confused why everyone is complaining about his trait. With the space control, damage, and knockdown Straight Axe gives on hit it makes sense that you can't trade. Sword is fast enough that it rarely gets stuff when I'm trying to trade. Maybe a change so that Sword/Axe becomes 'disconnected' at a certain point. Maybe around midscreen, so that it doesn't travel full screen just to get stuffed and inch in front of the opponents face.

Trait is fine on block. Downward Sword and Axe are both safe at all distance and Rising Sword/Axe are positive. Straight Sword is safe anywhere other than point blank and Straight Axe is safe from any distance where it makes sense to throw it out. Both are positive at full screen.

Recovery on his trait doesn't make sense to me. Why does Ares trait take longer to recharge than Superman's when Ares needs his sword to even combo off of most of his strings? It's already difficult for Ares to punish in many scenarios and it's even worse when your opponent does something punishable and you can't get good damage out of it because Sword isn't charged.
I'd guess that part of the reason sword takes so long to come back is so that you can't use it multiple times in combos, but even then gravity and damage scaling solve any real issues and there's no reason for Axe to have the same recharge time and there could also be a different recovery time on straight or downward sword so that those are more viable. Straight sword helps his zoning game immensely and being able to use that without giving up your ability to combo for 9 seconds would be completely fair.

I'd kind of like to see invisibility last longer, especially the MB version. It might be the length it is because they don't want you to do something like ending a combo in mb invis and getting a combo with an invisible mix up and still having enough invis time left to finish the combo and get another invisible mix up. Which is fair, but I'd like to be able to use invis fullscreen in my zoning game (there's no animations to react to - fireballs and axes and swords just appear coming at you and teleport becomes very difficult to punish) and with how short it is it makes it very hard to justify spending the meter, especially since I'm also working to avoid getting hit so I don't lose it that way. Even if they did some trade off like MB invis goes away once you land a normal but other it lasts longer I would take that(it'd almost be a double buff because it'd make combos you land while invisible easier to perform).

This one's a little weird, but I would really, really like the hitbox on his d1 altered. Its range is fine as it is, but it needs to connect higher. The problem is that so many characters float and they actually go over the d1. You can still connect with d1, but you need to be right up in their ass. Try testing d1 against Nightwing and against Wonder Woman. It literally has about 1/3 the effective range against Wonder Woman. Outside of his d1 he's already a very slow character(his 8f high s1 is his only other move faster than 10 frames, and it's not fast as far as s1's go and difficult to use because they're often already crouching because of d1) so neutering the range on it against certain characters really hurts.
The issue also has more to do with the position of the legs than the floating itself(it's only when they float with their legs back, likes Supes, WW, Raven, and GL when he's moving, character like Black Adam that float with their legs in a more normal position that's not tucked behind them aren't an issue) so it could also be fixed by normalizing the hurtbox on those characters. This could also fix the problem for other characters that may have the same issue(off the top of my head I don't know of any, but wouldn't be surprised if it at least affects the other characters with low d1's)

Ares also has a problem punishing. I don't know how to solve it, but there's a bunch of stuff that's supposed to be punishable or is punishable by most of the cast that Ares can't punish well(Scorpion's MB teleport or Black Adam's non-MB divekick if it doesn't hit very high, among others). Whiff punishing and punishing back dashes on read also ranges from hard to impossible.
Ares generally isn't getting particularly good damage anyway off of anything other than a jump in or blocked attack that's punishable by 3d2 so the complete lack of ability to punish in some cases really hurts. This is another one that I'm not sure how to fix, though. It’d probably require a major change to one of his strings.

I also think nerfs to the top tiers will help Ares. Most of his really big problem match ups are character that are already cried about a lot and give most of the cast problems. So changes to those characters could function as Ares buffs and do a lot to help the character in tournament.
I just want to say that, to me, this pretty much covers every change Ares could use to make him a better character without making him super-powered or even A+/S tier. These are all fair changes (except nerfing the top tier characters).

MK_Al

Noob
It is very possible to full combo punish and even option select for some characters against Ares's teleport, which is why you all should use it a lot smarter. I don't think NRS will make it a free and safe teleport, even though I hope they do. With that being said, stick with Ares the way he is now, and all of you will level your game the hell up by playing smarter, safer, and better.

It's not about making the teleport free or even safe. I don't mind getting punished if my opponent makes a good read. It's about having a faster startup; with 20f startup it's almost useless IMHO:
- you can't teleport when it matters
- in case you can teleport, you're to slow for proper punishment

To me this is also not only about fixing what's broken, it's about giving him fair tools to compete with the rest of the cast.