What's new

Question Does Ares need buffs/fixes?

Since there is confirmation of big balance patches coming, do you guys think the God of War needs any buffs/fixes? IMO he needs a back dash buff and they need to fix his 22 whiffing on crouching opponents, aswell as 22 ~ d4 whiffing in the corner.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
colt please consider increased invincibility frames on wakeup.

teleport has the most at the minute but is not a option is alot situations and you cant do it at all vs some characters like superman were he auto corrects in front of him when he does f23 :/ theres others like this also.
godsmack has very little invincibility frames at all and is generally easily stuffed even if meter burned either both before or after the MB, fair enough if they neutral jump it and punish you,thats fine,getting snuffed is another thing.
trait,phase shifter and dark energy have no invincibility frames at all.

maybe increase the invincibility frames on godsmack to make a better wakeup option so he can get off the ground better but still with risk.
trait invincibilty on wakeup would be interesting but might be too good, i dunno.

fixing the axe bug be nice also.
EDIT: post #32 explain more ares wakeup problems

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
Since there is confirmation of big balance patches coming, do you guys think the God of War needs any buffs/fixes? IMO he needs a back dash buff and they need to fix his 22 whiffing on crouching opponents, aswell as 22 ~ d4 whiffing in the corner.
I agree with all of these. Especially the 22 whiff. Also maybe change 33? pretty useless mid mid, should just be like f2 3

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Honestly 1man3letters that would make him a bit stupid IMO. Maybe increase invincibility on teleport but not on MB godsmack.

only on wake up now just to be clear,not just the moves in general.
teleport has well enough invincibility frames and adding to it wouldnt fix issues like the f23 example i gave.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
How do you guys managed in fast paced matches, it almost seems like Ares has slow start-up on a ton of moves when I use him I find that I just can't get my combos off fast enough...

Yinze

How do you guys managed in fast paced matches, it almost seems like Ares has slow start-up on a ton of moves when I use him I find that I just can't get my combos off fast enough...
Abuse the down 1. knock them away with b13 or 223, start zoning dark energy and trait/godsmack mb/teleport d1

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Abuse the down 1. knock them away with b13 or 223, start zoning dark energy and trait/godsmack mb/teleport d1
Yup that's what I normally do. I'm pretty sure I'm to liberal with the Warp Transmission I get punished with it a lot.

Yinze

Yup that's what I normally do. I'm pretty sure I'm to liberal with the Warp Transmission I get punished with it a lot.
I like to do 112 low sword. If they block 112 go invisible then back 1, or just trait cancel dash in

Yinze

I can't be the only one that doesn't agree with his trait disappearing after being inches from your opponents face just because you get hit
It is annoying forsure but it does make sense they should focus more on his whiff problems

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Please keep this thread on topic and not a discussion on how to play ares.

Ares's glitch where the trait whiffs off of a hit string, and his 22 and other mid strings whiffing on crouching opponents (like Green Arrow) NEED to be fixed. That's the only thing he absolutely freakin' needs.

EDIT: Another thing Ares needs is an easier way to backdash out of a d4. Half the time, I end up going to the backsword and having to backdash again. It takes too long.

Also, a faster backdash would be nice, or a backdash with faster recovery frames. But it's not really necessary... for now.

Also, my two cents on actual *buffs* he could use:

1. Improved b3 (it's slow and stubby)
2. Faster startup frames on his trait moves
3. Straight Axe always hitting in its sweetspot amount of hits (3 or 4 hits?)
4. Increased invisibility time
5. Increased invincibility on teleport/wakeup teleport (this is debated I know, but really, it's so punishable the way it is now, which is why I want to see you Ares mains, including myself, use it a lot smarter!)
6. Better block advantage for Straight Axe (The frame data says it's -41, and that's ridiculous, even though it doesn't feel like -41)
7. Make downward axe appear and come down a lot faster (kind of a repeat of suggestion #2) - This is very essential for his primary trait mixup game. As of right now, overhead axe comes out so slow you can react to it on block. It should be a guessing game because really, this could be all Ares has in the future.

That's kind of all I can think of right now. Honestly, I think Ares is a fine character and aside from his bugs, he doesn't desperately need to be touched. However, depending on how the next few patches go, these buffs could become a necessity someday.

EDIT: Revising this, I'm going to narrow it down to a couple buffs I REALLY think he could use in the future

1. Faster startup frames on his traits
2. Making trait less punishable on block (for the negative options)

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
The biggest thing he ABSOLUTELY NEEDS is for D4 to NOT WHIFF IN THE CORNER. NOT WHIFF. On strings 2,2 and B1 the Sword WHIFFS. IT WHIFFS. IT ABSOLUTELY FUCKING WHIFFS. This is top priority. What good is a string in the corner when my launcher is going to WHIFF?

Other things in mind. Straight Axe/Sword should not disappear when he gets hit. Slightly more invincibility frames on wakeup God Smack and then we're good to go.

snort

Noob
Decrease the recovery time after using his axe. (This should be priority over anything else)
Better invisibility on wakeup for teleport and godsmack.
Godsmack hit range should be covered BEHIND Ares as it is in front of him!
Faster dash or increasing dash travel distance.

Thats it.