What's new

Strategy Does anyone use anything other than health chain?

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I don't really see the bonuses as being that great.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
It all depends on when I hit the trait. If we're even on life? Power chain. That extra damage is great.

If I'm fighting a zoner? Defense chain. You take practically NO chip

I use the Power chain alot against weaker players, it leaves them perfect distance to then go for a MB Cleaver Spin which is safe on block , or leads to another combo if hits !!

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I often use Power Chain because the damage boost is just incredible, the health chain for the kill and the defense chain only the heavy zoners

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
Power Chain at under a meter for a setup
Health Chain as a finisher to a combo
Defense Chain against heavy zoner characters

You know whats nice? Grave Rot with Power Chain does more due to him literally hugging you the entire time.

Brahma

Noob
Also important to note is the positioning after each grab.

Damage chain 1 is the only one of all his throws to switch sides with an opponent. Sometimes I use this to keep them in the corner. Not always worth dropping the damage, but his corner game is strong. Also usefull when you know the first part of a chain will kill the opponent. Always a good idea to start that 2nd round with them in the corner.

Also be aware of stage interactable positioning. Health and Damage chains both move Grundy forward a lot, where Defense keeps him relatively in the same spot. Sometimes I use Defense just to keep me on top of an interactable so I can throw it after my grab chain.

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
Just won a match because I activated the defense one against a Deathstroke when I had roughly 7% health left on my first bar and he was just on his second. Managed to block literally everything he had and retaliate with 2ish% left and won.

Was glorious, if not for defense chain, I would've lost that hp lead due to him chipping out my first bar.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Honestly depends on match up. I personally think health should be used ALL the time(If you're not fighting a zoner who you need to use the chip throw for.) As Grundy does enough damage as it is without power, but it's personal preference.

Gruff757

The Gruff
Honestly depends on match up. I personally think health should be used ALL the time(If you're not fighting a zoner who you need to use the chip throw for.) As Grundy does enough damage as it is without power, but it's personal preference.
Here is what I do...

Initial Grab = Defense or Health

When in the Corner = Alternate between Power and Health

Health most of the time
Defense against zoners (superman, deathstroke, sinestro, etc.) although I will change it to health if I notice they don't tend to zone but always switch back to defense during the 2nd half of their 2nd bar since everyone tends to zone when they're that low.
Power when I'm setting them up for a string or if I notice they are having a hard time getting out of my setups