What's new

Does anyone actually play Mortal Kombat 3 anymore?

dreemernj

Ambassador
I don't think so.

UMK3 has basically everything from MK3 plus a lot of the gameplay tweaks that MK3 definately needed. I would say MK3 was a broken game. The ice clone, rapid fire jax projectiles, the broken corner roundhouse.

i play mk3 for xbox on midway arcade classics and genesis
because i cant find umk3

for now the only way to get it on a console system so far
is with an xbox 360 or find another system version of it

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Yeah, they added ninjas (teleports) and jewed the missiles in UMK3 and Jax is still a force lol

first time i see this.. like dreemnj i consider mk3 a broken game, and... yeah off course was a good game, but except shits like this, the fast projectiles (first time i see this :p i never played to see this cus when first time i played mk3, 2 weeks after mk3 was changed by umk3 and... you know) in the arcade when you finish the game and wait to the kredits exactly when kano and kabal jump in the screen, you push down and start in both controllers and beggin with a new kredit, the broken subzero was "invensible", kill motaro was so easy with all chars, the cpu difficult.. damm, too easy (the reason why everybody in my local arcade in that time play mk3)

krsx

Noob
MK3 is still my favorite arcade MK, but only because of the story, atmosphere, roster, stages and all the other superfluous aspects of Mortal Kombat.

UMk3 demolishes MK3 in terms of gameplay (no pop up through the ceiling!) and whenever I play MK3 now, it's a horrible feeling. Character's without launchers, unlimited RH's in the corner, no relaunch combos - it's brutal, like a Diet UMK3..

Oddly though, it still feels like a more complete game, due to the polished non gameplay stuff. Umk3 with it's crappy stage cycle, out of place characters that don't tie in with the storyline, and so on - it's like MK3+. If only they could've waited, made MK3 with the UMk3 gameplay aspects, would've suited me perfectly.

Sub Zero being able to clone freeze someone while blocking typifies the gameplay though...

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think MK3 had the same kind of factor that MK1 and MKII had in terms of presentation. UMK3 was merely an upgrade that was inevitable. I think the gameplay completely overtook everything.

krsx

Noob
Shock said:
I think MK3 had the same kind of factor that MK1 and MKII had in terms of presentation. UMK3 was merely an upgrade that was inevitable. I think the gameplay completely overtook everything.
Indeed. But it's the same argument I make about the MK3 series fatalities. In MK1 and 2 you had the cool finishers and the bad gameplay, but the fanboys were happy. In MK3 and UMk3 you had the good gameplay, but the bad finishers, so the more hardcore players were happy. The fanboys weren't. What I never understood was, why not have great gameplay AND cool finishers...

So the point I'm trying to correlate is that they should've waited, then had the proper MK3 presentation AND the great UMK3 gamplay.
Both Umk3 Scorpion (watered down H. Smoke) and Classic Sub Zero (Just give Unmasked Sub Zero - who became low tier anyways - the ground freeze and the faster slide, maybe even the pop-up) were needless, and they probably could've fit in the other characters with the storyline.

But (as was discussed at MKO once) if it was a marketing ploy, then it's a whole 'nother discussion.

Spooky

Banned
MK3 Ultimate wutever fatalities are the shit!

wtf you talkin bout? xD

I like

Sub-Zero's (both)

Reptiles (both)

Ermac's (Telekentic Slam)

Scorpions (Both)

Kabals (Both)

Nightwolfs (Both)

Shang Tsung (Both)

I give up.

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Kah Ball said:
MK3 Ultimate wutever fatalities are the shit!

wtf you talkin bout? xD

I like

Sub-Zero's (both)

Reptiles (both)

Ermac's (Telekentic Slam)

Scorpions (Both)

Kabals (Both)

Nightwolfs (Both)

Shang Tsung (Both)

I give up.
Ha ha well it's always gonna come down to personal preference. The only real "fact" you can argue is that MKII had a lot more animation frames dedicated to Fatalties than MK3 did. For example just look at a typical torso-severing fatality:

MK II - specially-drawn torso is knocked off, with spine sticking out the bottom, guy drops to his knees and collapses

MK3 - guy gets stuck on one of his dizzy frames and his upper body is cut and pasted onto the ground (complete with mysteriously floating hands)

And of course you had things like the Pit II and Kung Lao's fatality, where they added a ton of frames for every character in the game, just to accomodate individual fatalities.

MK Trilogy in particular had a ton of "Uppercut and Paste" fatalities.