What's new

Doctor Fate Matchup Discussion

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Anyone have good experience in the Cyborg matchup? I played a quick set against one and didn't have many answers for him.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
how do you guys feel about the Darkseid matchup
Tough MU for me atm trying to find a way to get passed his teleport. Going against a really good darkseid and the zoning isnt the problem its the burst damage he gets from the teleport thats the problem

babalook

Noob
Tough MU for me atm trying to find a way to get passed his teleport. Going against a really good darkseid and the zoning isnt the problem its the burst damage he gets from the teleport thats the problem
Ya, although he doesn't win a straight zoning battle he doesn't have to, I feel like every time I summon an ankh, orb, or throw a fireball the risk reward is way out of my favor. I think this is one of those matchups where you can't really get any of fate's decent shit started, similar to the Supergirl matchup (but I think Darkseid is a much better character than Supergirl).

GroovyMango

Bullseye
For darkseid, it's all about getting the life lead and then straight chillin. st 1 to bait tele works super well. Fate can d2 it most of the time on reaction and get a meaty combo to send him back full screen. If he's content throwing fireballs, get that healing field up and gogogo.

Supergirl is a huge pain though, that movement makes life so difficult. And the vortex...

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Yes, yes I know. I still think Batman wins but not nearly as bad as I thought. its probably a 6-4 in his favor or it might be even. His air mobility and crouching hitbox along with bats keeps Fate in check but so do our ankhs.

So, I'm trying to get better as a new player and I'm forcing myself to go to events.

At a high level, what are my focuses against Superman, Firestorm, Darkseid and Adam? They tend to all have abilities or moves that have priority over my f2. They all have projectiles that can give me a little trouble and some pretty punishing strings. With everything I do starting with f2 (except a corner combo starting b1d3), they are very comfortable with standing block and outzoning me or punishing me hard.

babalook

Noob

6-4 fate imo
Might I ask why? I really thought this was in her favor since her projectile prevents you from doing anything but fireball (and normally she recovers quick enough to block said fireball), at mid screen you basically have to just take her air gunshot, her trait helps her compete at zoning as well as get in, she has a strong jump game especially considering our anti-airs, and she's better at close range.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Might I ask why? I really thought this was in her favor since her projectile prevents you from doing anything but fireball (and normally she recovers quick enough to block said fireball), at mid screen you basically have to just take her air gunshot, her trait helps her compete at zoning as well as get in, she has a strong jump game especially considering our anti-airs, and she's better at close range.
ive played best of harleys and just feel fate zones her out

Reading that Cyborg might be a bad matchup for Fate has my brain all in a mess. I got no answers for that normal into force push (not sure what it's called) and I've been getting shut down as a Cyborg player. Hell even some Cyborg's think the matchup is one of his worst at the moment. Curious to see what the other Cyborg players are doing differently, cuz I'm getting mopped

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
whats people think about vs atros?

ive been playing the mu with swampy more than fate as his disjointed hitboxs help with dealing with the trait shield

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Used to think Supes was a bad MU but its not as bad as first anticipated. Ankhs are they key full screen for sure. If his D1 had a little more range I think this could turn the tide heavily in Fates favor. Also, Batman as well. although I can't really say I've played a great Batman but I get his general idea.

The one I most struggle with atm is Aquaman. It feels like a solid MU for Fate. He can keep him out with ease and his strings out range and out damage Fate without breaking a sweat. Anyone else with me on this or if not what can I do differently? I initially also thought Deadshot was awful but it is true what they say, patience is a virtue.

Dr Fate is a lot of fun and I really wanna stick it out and main him but atm, he has to work really hard compared to some others. But thats why you have a pocket BA :)

I feel like he loses to Deadshot if he doesn't have Air Amon Ra Blast. It's not only annoying to try and counterzone Deadshot, but at a point it gets impossible, what with his low bullets. And then you have the fact thaat he has so much pushback, and his superstar normals, Fate would have a hard time fighting them imo.
Fate was the first character I took to training mode and I was verrrrrey upset he didn't have air Amon ra. He has very poor air control

Used to think Supes was a bad MU but its not as bad as first anticipated. Ankhs are they key full screen for sure. If his D1 had a little more range I think this could turn the tide heavily in Fates favor. Also, Batman as well. although I can't really say I've played a great Batman but I get his general idea.

The one I most struggle with atm is Aquaman. It feels like a solid MU for Fate. He can keep him out with ease and his strings out range and out damage Fate without breaking a sweat. Anyone else with me on this or if not what can I do differently? I initially also thought Deadshot was awful but it is true what they say, patience is a virtue.

Dr Fate is a lot of fun and I really wanna stick it out and main him but atm, he has to work really hard compared to some others. But thats why you have a pocket BA :)
If u blk a ftd deep can I get an orb out safely ?

Nausea

Soul Ascended
If u blk a ftd deep can I get an orb out safely ?
As far as I am aware you can't. Best bet would be to try and get an Ankh out but even then, you will get punished by another FTD. It is something I will need to double check but I'm at work atm. But if my memory serves me right, I got blew every time :'(

As far as I am aware you can't. Best bet would be to try and get an Ankh out but even then, you will get punished by another FTD. It is something I will need to double check but I'm at work atm. But if my memory serves me right, I got blew every time :'(
Sounds like ur best bet is to do the sinestro thing and check with Amon ra. Once u have him trained u will do that consistently then u can probably sneak an orb or ank out bc he is waiting for Amon ra

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Sounds like ur best bet is to do the sinestro thing and check with Amon ra. Once u have him trained u will do that consistently then u can probably sneak an orb or ank out bc he is waiting for Amon ra
Yeah I think that is gonna be the only option. But trying to get an Aquaman to show respect is going to be a fucking challenge lol.