What's new

Do you want the Variation System to return to MK12?

Should Variations return to MK12?

• Total voters

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I just want all of the best moves in one variation, personally.
That'd be Erron Black, and that's 50% of why he was OP at launch.

Imo it makes much more sense to spread them out between variations, rather than having a supervariation which makes the others useless to play.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Absolutely not. I think there's been enough pushback on this issue that I think it'll finally be scrapped.

They need to go Tekken style and just give us a ton of moves for each character and just let the chips fall where they may.

A trait type mechanic would be interesting for MK where we could have access to more moves for a certain amount of time or if we could have access to them the whole match if Paulo could find a way to balance it.

kinger

Noob
I don't mind how they have it now if they would just have better balance within the variations. I mean when a character has a useless variation what good is it.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6

Imo it makes much more sense to spread them out between variations, rather than having a supervariation which makes the others useless to play.
Spreading out the good moves is a terrible way to address balance between abilities because you just end up with variantions that are dominated by one option and/or are bogged down by absolutely useless shit everyone hates.

If an ability is so bad that you have to force people to use it over better options, it needs to be looked at and adjusted instead of just forced downs your audiences throats.

When people were using Thin Ice sub only because it had access to a move in his default kit, clearly something is wrong.

Variations helped in that they gave characters with stagnant movesets like Baraka, Kano, Scorpion, Jax, Kung Lao Kitana, Mileena etc something fresh and new but now it's time to take those new moves, incorporate them into the characters full movesets and retire Variations because it only adds more on the plate for balance.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Spreading out the good moves is a terrible way to address balance between abilities because you just end up with variantions that are dominated by one option and/or are bogged down by absolutely useless shit everyone hates.

If an ability is so bad that you have to force people to use it over better options, it needs to be looked at and adjusted instead of just forced downs your audiences throats.

When people were using Thin Ice sub only because it had access to a move in his default kit, clearly something is wrong.
Putting all the good moves in one variation just defeats the point of having a variation system altogether. It just doesn't make sense.

The goal should be to make the base kit solid enough that you can create separate playstyles, that each have at least one really strong special apiece to make them viable.

stokedAF

casual kahnage

I said that wrong. I mean I don’t want variations at all lol. Just the best moves in a base setup.

Rizz091

Noob
Please no more variations. Make complete, well designed move sets for each character with clear strengths and weaknesses. Maybe let's not make then so simple anymore though.

Multiple selectable supers would be cool instead.

MURK

Noob
I'm afraid that if NRS removes the variation system for the next game, the game will die out fast because there is nothing new to look forward to. As a competitive player, I'm sure one solid character vs multiple versions would be great but the "fun" side of the game could potentially drop for someone who actually wants to explore the game and character that they love.

Me personally, I love having multiple versions of my character(s) especially if there is a better answer for a specific mu(s). I just believe in going down with my own ship instead of jumping to a whole new boat

I hope it doesn't return.
I feel that splintering the character in threes is overall detrimental to them. And I do not mean "shove all these moves into one variation" either. Some of these moves are there clearly because there was a need for another variation. Why does Kitana need to have multiple Mileena moves? It makes her less of a Kitana and only teases Mileena fans. Did Shang Tsung need to take four ninja moves? Did Kung Lao require ghost manipulation similar to Kenshi? Erron Black's Reptile acid?
I do not understand who it appeals to. The pros seem to learn their matchups against already locked in tournament variations. Most characters already have a determined best variation too, so throwing the others out wouldn't affect much. You can find tech with custom sets, sure, but what is the point if it never will be used in a competitive environment?
Overall I feel like MK11 variation are a step down from MKX variations, and I didn't like those either.

ryublaze

Noob
We just had variations for MKX and again for MK11, except now they're nerfed to the ground with many variations still being pointless. They could have at least let us customize our moves this time around, but we're still stuck with the same old variation system. Yeah no, can we please go back to having compete characters again?

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Putting all the good moves in one variation just defeats the point of having a variation system altogether. It just doesn't make sense.

The goal should be to make the base kit solid enough that you can create separate playstyles, that each have at least one really strong special apiece to make them viable.
But what im saying is that there shouldn't be this big discrepancy between the useful of abilities that one super variation should be an issue.

Everyone only plays spring cleaning Cetrion because the other two variations are gimmicky trash. Can you really blame people for not wanting to use them? Can you really blame them for not wanting to trade teleport and Geyser jails for (example) and RNG aura that costs two defensive bars?

The problem is not all the good moves going in one variation. The problem is that you'd presumably be able to fit all the good stuff in one variation because there is only a couple good choices to begin with.

Variations of course should be built on top of a string base kit. But then in 11 we have multiple cases of good base kits moves being replaced by trash for seemingly no reason other than to nerf the character.

Again removing player choice is not a substitute for balancing tools between each other. Of course it's much harder to go through each ability individually and make it worth using, but the result is much better than "you can't use these together".

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What's interesting to me is whether or not using the variation system actually results in "incomplete" characters, or whether it just feels that way because one variation tends to be better than the other variations a character might have, and people are also more aware of the potential moves a character might have access to.

If NRS concentrated on making just one variation per character, would it actually make for a better designed character? Or would we simply end up with one variation per character similar to one of the two original variations we got, and instead of feeling that the character is incomplete, we'd simply end up feeling like it's poorly balanced or poorly designed.

For example, if they made just one variation of Raiden, would it be some different combination of his current abilities? Or would it just be his Thunder Wave variation, and we just simply wouldn't even know that his other moves had even been an option?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’d say no to variations coming back. I don’t think MKX SZ is a good example of variations either. Cryo served no purpose matchup wise, Unbreakable was alright, but you were ultimately playing a heavily gimped version of the character if you didn’t use Grandmaster.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I can only speak as a noob player but they have to go, as others have said i want my character to be the best version of itself and i feel ripped off that say 52 kard pickup gets all the best customs in a preset, while i get 2 some get only 1 and youre forced to make do (do) . Noob would be his best self with slide , kombo teleport and sickle snag now do u honestly think that would break the game? It wouldnt it would add 15% onto his f212 string thats it!
/ end ramble