What's new

Do you think this game will turn out good?

RoGE

Noob
We all know the last 3D MK games were let downs but now that the MK team is with WB, do you think this game has a chance in the competitive scene? I noticed how they didn't go for the "release a MK game every year" routine but instead it seems like they are taking their time with this game. Also, if this game turns out to be not that great, do you think the DLC will save it?

I myself will give this game a chance, hopefully the online will be better, I mean MKvsDC wasn't THAT bad but online was terrible.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This game will be good, but I think that online will make or break this game. If they keep the same network code from MKD-MKA-MKDC, then we will get different move properties online that shouldn't happen.

I think the game will be reasonable and have a nice single player. Like Konqrr said online will make or break it especially for the re play value.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think MK9 will be one of the best MK's honestly, and be good. If there's issues online, WB can always patch it (unlike Midway)

This game will be nothing like the 3D MK's...I see it more so of MK2,UMK3+little bit MKDC=MK9

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Topic: Do you think this game will turn out good?
No. Let me tell you why.

Many of us are living in the past, and somewhat in the present with the offline tourneys seeing some growth in attendance and general interest from the fighting game community. The players that desire that "old school" feeling are only going to be disappointed by the fact that there will always be something from that recipe, which will be different for everyone. The real scary part is this: If we are going to accept a new great title in the series as a fan base, WE ALSO HAVE TO ACCEPT IT WILL BE DIFFERENT. We have seen the downfall of content (quantity) to quality gameplay throughout the last ten years. I think the best way to have a chance at enjoying this game is -

1) hoping it isn't broken as technically speaking, 2) gameplay is enjoyable and up to par in comparison of the best in the series, 3) characters are dynamic and I believe this is already very likely, 4) story and "necessary" features are pertinent to us being satisfied with the game overall, 5) we have ZERO expectations for it to be just like or even remotely close to our favorite games of the series.

If we don't set ourselves up to be dissatisfied with cliches and the game is actually decent, it could be a great experience. Hell, it could change the entire industry.

Noob
Oh boy... this question... I honestly, as everyone does, HOPE that MK9 will be good, but I have some serious concerns and doubts, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some things that I think look good.

First and foremost, I agree with Dreamcatcher, this game is going to be different than the former 2d games, and that's something we have to just deal with, OR go back to playing UMK3 and MK2.

I will say that the game looks a little too much like MKDC in terms of it's animation and gameplay so far. This isn't to say that they won't make the animation play like a 2d game, but if the animation is indicitive of anything, than we are dealing with more of the same in terms of MK9 and MKDC.

For the record, lets clear the air about MKDC... some people do like the game. I personally do not, and it has nothing to do with characters and such. It has to do with the inherent inequality in player properties from player 1 to player 2. P1 has a definitive advantage just by being P1, and that is inherently a broken quality that makes MKDC, in my opinion, nothing more that a flawed game with a flawed fighting system and ultimately nothing more than a casual game not worthy of any look into depth and strategy, as choosing P1 is all players' main priority(before winning the match). This is not the stuff that good games are made of.

With that said, I am praying that MK9 does not retain this property imbalance, because if it does, it will doom the game to the same level of casual play that plagued MKDC, with no real need to look further at any level of depth because of an inherently broken fighting engine. So far, I haven't seen any indication of this, which is good.

I do not like the idea that MKDC's U2 launcher could be a universal technique either. We've seen it from Scorpion so far, and definitely in Sektor's EX TP Uppercut, but what we don't know is if the EX actually includes the re-launch or if it's done manually. If it's manual, then Sektor has the U2 launcher as well and leads me to believe that it would be a universal technique. Lets hope not...

The game also has Throw Techs. I believe this to be a bad idea for MK in general. I never liked them in MK, though they work in SF. The problem is that in SF, there is no chip damage on normals when blocking. This means that you can't pressure in SF for chip damage unless you use a special or a throw. This leads to a close game coming down to throws and techs, and the occassional fake throw, punish the whiffed tech. All in all, throw techs will, in my opinion make this game more of a turtle fest than a rush down game... they make rushdown pointless because I'm not going to try to chip away when I can just go for the throw, especially since, in just about every fighting game, throws always beat normals...so if someone tries to tech while I'm chipping, I'll eat a throw. I expect the close game to come down to exactly that.. no chip, just throws attempts and techs.

Throw recovery/quick recover. I actually have no problem with this. It creates a good mixup and lets you choose, to a degree, how you get up. I don't necessarily like the idea of recovery attacks, so I hope they aren't in there. BTW, Throw recovery is different than a throw tech... it just lets you roll out of a throw.

EX move execution. I'm not keen on holding block to execute the EX moves. This means I can no longer buffer tap motion moves from block without the risk of executing the EX move instead of the normal move. The only way to fix this is to require the press of block while you press the attack... for instance, if I am buffering from block, I must actually release and re-press block with the attack for the EX move to work...otherwise it will result in accidental EX moves all the time and frustrating loss of meter. On the other hand, releasing block for that brief instant could also mean eating an attack... so overall, IMO, the execution of the EX moves is not well thought out.

Breakers. I'm on the fence here... I hated them in MKDC because many(if not all) of them launched and resulted in stupid damage combos. I like that the MK9 breakers simply knock down. I think that, similarly to KI, the implementation of "unbreakable" combos would be good because it gives rise to depth of play for higher level players who are capable of not only saving meter for a breaker but also be knowlegable enough on the characters to recognize which combos are breakable.

Dash vs. Run ... Of course, as a UMK3 player, I want Run.. Run created so much versatility and depth that I can't go into fully right now. The run button was dynamic, it allowed rushdown, it allowed combo versatility and combo lengthening... it was done perfectly and it's removal is sorely missed. Dashing, so far as I've seen is implemented fairly well... but I think only actual gameplay will determine what level of depth it will add to the game. I am happy to see that specials seem to cancel the dash so moves like Scorpion's spear will cancel a B,B dash.

Corner pushback. So far, I pray that it just hasn't been implemented in the demo vids we have seen. One vid that's been posted shows Cage vs. Mileena and in a combo Cage pops up Mileena and combos in the corner with no pushback. This WILL lead to broken characters, 100%'s and infinites if it is not fixed immediately.

I am VERY concerned about this game. I like some of what I see and dislike alot of what I see. This doesn't mean, though, that I'm completely right or completely wrong. I'm just being honest about what I see and I hope that the positive qualities remain unchanged and that some/all of the negative qualities are addressed in the final build of the game. This game has the ability to be decent, though I'm currently believing that it may not necessarily be a good game... right now I stand more in the "casual fun, but not tournament worthy" group for MK9. I hope I'm wrong and I hope that the gameplay, come March, proves to be far different that the observations I've made here.

9.95 said:
Oh boy... this question... I honestly, as everyone does, HOPE that MK9 will be good, but I have some serious concerns and doubts, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some things that I think look good.

First and foremost, I agree with Dreamcatcher, this game is going to be different than the former 2d games, and that's something we have to just deal with, OR go back to playing UMK3 and MK2.
very this! I saw scorp do it but I didn't see the sektor instance. I hated that move in MKvDC. No one should get easy, repeatable, instant launchers like that. I hope it's part of a combo or something but it was an effortless move that got you way too much return for so little skill. I hope they don't implement it the same as it was in MKvDC :(

X820

Noob
^this, 100% agreed and how I currently look at it.

Hopefully the DLC will extend beyond a new and 'cool' looking mask for sub zero, and will include patches, mayor one at that after release.

In one of my first posts in this section I said that the footage shown remembers me of MKDC, and with all the footage that's been released at E3 after that, it sadly hasn't changed.

So my concern lies with what dreamcatcher and 9.95 have written.

We need a very well thought out game with serious mechanics, like pushback etc etc.

I'd hate to see yet another childishly EASY infinite in the first week, like we did in MKDC.

ninjalord said:
i was pumped up at first, when i saw the trailer, but watching the stiff gameplay just turns me off, and the elimination of HP,LP,HK,LK just sealed the deal for me. i was very excited to get mk9, but i won't be getting it. i talked about the super serious mood/violence in the graveyard topic, so that's a non-issue, but the game mechanics just doesn't do it for me. everything about this game is so different it's sad. boon is just a money grabber. you can tell from the article that ice posted. boon just cares about moving units and not about making really good product. i tweeted to him, that sfighter won the war, and that digi graphics were the only thing that scared capcom shitless(see alan noon's blog for proof of this), but boon doesn't really seem to respond to tweets anymore. honestly, i don't believe ed understands his own intellectual property. the guy is a programmer, not an artist or an art director. boon and tobias really should've expanded their team after mk2; instead, they chose to keep slogging alone, imo, to the detriment of their franchicse. capcom kept pushing the envelope, while end and john just couldn't keep up. it's sad what mk has become, because it had potential. and boon seriously--as far as we know--believes that mk9 can go to EVO. not a chance. have you really looked at the animation? and you know it's sad when ed is following capcom's lead. mk used to lead every game trend. for example: hidden char reptile/akuma; fatalities/supers/ultras; run button/dash(although samurai showdown did have dash didn't it?);air juggles, etc.... mk9 will disappoint.
Gotta love it when people condemn games when they are a year away from being finished. Boon is learning from Capcom how to make a good modern day MK and your complaint is that they arn't doing something new? You realise they tried "new original" stuff with the previous 3d MKs which failed. You should be praising Boon for following Capcoms lead as he may actually develop an MK game that is better than average!

"boon is just a money grabber"....lol I think you'll find every BUSINESS/COMPANY wants to make money.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yep, good point Icey not to mention WB has something Midway didn't...MONEY, so if there's an issue I'm SURE it will be patched....you see what some people don't realize is that MKDC had plans for DLC and patches but couldn't due to Midway dying and all...MK team had nothing, it's not like they could just pull things out of a hat....

I'm not worried about MK9 issues, I'm positive if there's something that people will abuse it will be addressed. :) The gameplay doesn't look choppy or slow either, looks fluid and fast :) especially compared to the recently released MK games.

And since ninja asked, SS did have a dash indeed(as do most fighters now) SF4 has one, Tekken, MKDC had one, some older 2D games like SS, BB etc, etc :)