What's new

Do you think Injustice will have a larger fan-base in the America's or..?

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
*buncha really good info I was completely unaware of* [SIZE=4 said:
*the average cost per game was 50 cents, while the cost to play MK3 was about 5 times more expensive.[/SIZE]
** Unlike in the US, most SF players don't play Mahvel and KOF players are so elitists that will rarely play anything that's not KOF.
** *Is worth to mention that neither DC nor Marvel are as popular as Anime in Mexico (El libro vaquero> Memín Pinguín >Anime> Mahvel> DC).

Wow, thanks for clearing that up. All I see are the streams and such and catch guys like the MODOK player coming in to make top 8 in UMVC3 at EVO. Didn't know about all of this. Still even though I know about the KOF elitism thing (because honestly if Im disappointed in this game I'm going back too now that Im in) its still true that Mexico is now old enough that they dont have to rely on arcades. The anime thing is a bigger factor in my eyes than anything else you mentioned because it lowers the fanbase initially.

I'll hold out hope for Mexico to get into it because they got some really good players down there, but yeah KOF is likely not gonna budge from KOF. I play everything and stick to one per year while casually playing the rest and KOF beat out Marvel for me after I gave it a shot. That game is pretty damned amazing and I want Injustice to be my next big thing, but I know that if it doesn't balance well or if it doesn't flow well that I'll be back to KOF. The game sucks you in hard once it has you. Gonna be hard to draw any KOF guys from it, but at least I'm wanting to give it a fair shot so maybe other KOF guys will too down in Mexico.

Wigy

There it is...
So your enemy cant even tell if your blocking? does your guy like hold block or what? im confused here.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
So your enemy cant even tell if your blocking? does your guy like hold block or what? im confused here.

No, you don't visibly block while holding back. You just walk backwards until your opponent attacks.

shaowebb

Because it's not MK.
This really. Its trying to draw in more FGC while remaining mainly focused on casual content just like MK did. Just look at its feature list.

• trades
  • Crossups
  • mixups
  • back to block
  • frame data in game
  • extreme focus on online play
  • button layout it l m h special meter stage so its like other 4 button fighters like MVC only with a meter button and stage button tacked on
  • flight options for some cast
  • option to swap to quarter circle inputs to make things less of an adjustment to tourney guys on sticks
  • option to turn hazards and negative edge off
All that is definitely designed to appeal more to FGC. They're broadening their tourney prospects in that niche group. Mainly though they have expanded single player content in my eyes. I mean the battle tower thing gives you 20 extra story missions for the DLC Red Son skins and we already heard this game's story mode is supposed to be bigger than MK. Plus they have stated while strongly influenced by FGC they are mainly marketing and building towards casual mass audiences just like MK9 which helped to make it the only profitable fighter that year.
They know how to get the casuals. MK9's single player content is testament to how good they are at it. However, they only scratched the surface of the FGC crowds so they are trying to penetrate it more to make their studio even bigger. To do this they had to make a lot of adjustments so since their MK brand isn't at risk this is the perfect opportunity to do so. Besides if it works MK10 will have a bigger tourney scene when it rolls around because they will have broadened their FGC reputation with Injustice. Win/Win to do all these changes.

shaowebb

Why do people want this
Mindgames.
Mindgames.
EDIT: Beaten!

It makes players trickier to read and it makes walking forward and then backward a thing so it confuses opponents on approach footsies. Harder to read if you are trying to inch in or just trying to bait someone into something if you tap back and forth a few times. Its honestly more like sparring in real life. Its how things rolled in Kung Fu a lot for me with the forward backwards shuffle. It gets pretty tense figuring out when your opponent has truly committed their approach at you or if they are just tapping again to bait out a block into punish (or grab).

Wigy

There it is...
This really. Its trying to draw in more FGC while remaining mainly focused on casual content just like MK did. Just look at its feature list.

• trades
  • Crossups
  • mixups
  • back to block
  • frame data in game
  • extreme focus on online play
  • button layout it l m h special meter stage so its like other 4 button fighters like MVC only with a meter button and stage button tacked on
  • flight options for some cast
  • option to swap to quarter circle inputs to make things less of an adjustment to tourney guys on sticks
  • option to turn hazards and negative edge off
All that is definitely designed to appeal more to FGC. They're broadening their tourney prospects in that niche group. Mainly though they have expanded single player content in my eyes. I mean the battle tower thing gives you 20 extra story missions for the DLC Red Son skins and we already heard this game's story mode is supposed to be bigger than MK. Plus they have stated while strongly influenced by FGC they are mainly marketing and building towards casual mass audiences just like MK9 which helped to make it the only profitable fighter that year.

They know how to get the casuals. MK9's single player content is testament to how good they are at it. However, they only scratched the surface of the FGC crowds so they are trying to penetrate it more to make their studio even bigger. To do this they had to make a lot of adjustments so since their MK brand isn't at risk this is the perfect opportunity to do so. Besides if it works MK10 will have a bigger tourney scene when it rolls around because they will have broadened their FGC reputation with Injustice. Win/Win to do all these changes.
can u explain the crossups and mixups bit cause i thought mk had that? im confused. also flight options? whats negative edge.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
can u explain the crossups and mixups bit cause i thought mk had that? im confused. also flight options? whats negative edge.
Can't tell if serious :coffee:

I think I've basically explained a crossup several times easily. MK does not have legit crossups. It's a popular topic. In MK your opponent just jumps to your other side and all you have to do is hold block. While crossups with back to block you have to block the opposite direction your opponent lands on. This adds mind games. Watch SF tournaments and you'll understand. People fake crossups to get the opponent to block the wrong way or actually attempt a crossup.

shaowebb

Crossups and mixups get really powerful in back to block games because its not just the move hitting deep its figuring out if its deep enough to block if you hold towards it or not. In other words you not only have to hit block on reaction now, but in the proper direction. This makes defense more challenging and advanced and allows for offensive mixups and crossups to be more sinister than ever because some can setup crap in front of you and then go for the crossup that requires a different block direction. Nigh unblockable stuff can occur this way which in turn advances footsie play because you will use back dashes more and trades more to counter this stuff.

Just think about it...is that guy trying to jump behind me or do I push TOWARDS him now to try and block a crossup? If Im wrong will I eat a normal into full combo if he wasn't going for crossup? Maybe I should AA the guy? Wait I should back dash...or will that put me into his attack if it comes out? Forward dash maybe? Jumping L should have priority, but will it hit or trade versus that character if they jumping L as well? MINDGAMES.

Flight options are for stuff like you see in Marvel. Its severely toned down in this game but you can see clips where Wonder Woman will activate flight for her air combo portion off of a launcher. Basic idea is if you can fly do your ground combo and end with a launcher (think uppercut) then jump up and hit a few shots in air with your opponent, but THEN activate flight and just juggle them in the air for awhile longer. That latter juggle is something non flight guys can't do. Its why Wonder Woman's ground combos till now looked average IMO...because she is meant to get her extensions off of flight to extend stuff. Simply cancel a move into flight to keep it going is the idea. Check out Sentinel fly/unfly on google to see such combos in action. They wont get that long though in Injustice because it has gravity though to limit it and force fall outs.

Negative edge is that sometimes in a fighter you input a move and then hit punch or something. Think a dragon punch. Enter the directional input and then hit punch and it comes out. Negative edge is you HOLD the punch portion and the move only comes out upon releasing it. So in other words some stuff can be done by inputting it during other animations or on wakeup for some stuff in some fighters and you hold the button and when you are ready you release punch and it comes out. Its useful, but the timing on doing the move normally can get thrown off for some folks if they are used to it coming out right when they hit punch and not when they release that button. To keep people from yelling "I did fireball but it didn't come out! Broken ass game!" this can be toggled on and off. Some want to negative edge, some dont.

Dude it's not that confusing, you block when you get hit otherwise you move backwards. Every other FG has this, watch some Street Fighter vids if you're legit that confused, you'll see how it works.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Why do people want this
Contact blocking is a compromise for both sides of the fence, and an ingenious way to satisfy both people who mostly play SF/KOF/etc, and those who mostly play MK. Obviously, because the former games have back for blocking, holding a block button is extremely unnatural for them. HOWEVER, players of MK are more accustomed to being able to maneuver themselves away from the opponent without block animations triggering for simply holding back as the opponent whiffs things. As such, IGAU combines these two attributes together.

This is actually REALLY huge for the footsies department of the game. Most games that have contact blocking are 3D games with VERY slow walk speeds. As a result, whiffing is huge in this game because it is just as easy to force as in MK9, but with a lot less risk for misjudging ranges or getting caught with your pants down and fingers off of blocking. It actually helps MK9 players transition to the new blocking without removing something they're totally accustomed to. Meanwhile, other players aren't caught off guard with a block button and a lack of traditional crossups. And overall, it promotes spacing a lot.

This is actually a really, really good change if you understand everything this causes.