What's new

Do you like the 'throw' mechanic in MK9?

Do you like the throw system in MK9?

• Total voters

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
12% is horrid and not worth using half the time. No one uses hella throws. Watch SC. That games throws actually mean something. The worst part is you can throw someone who is duck blocking. GTFO with that nonsense.
all games can tech throws while blocking..... its not that big of a deal.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
12% is horrid and not worth using half the time. No one uses hella throws. Watch SC. That games throws actually mean something. The worst part is you can throw someone who is duck blocking. GTFO with that nonsense.
all games can tech throws while blocking..... its not that big of a deal.

I throw hella. I beat the best in the world with throws.

I can't believe people just look at the 12% and think that's your only reward. Please think outside the box just a little.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I throw hella. I beat the best in the world with throws.

I can't believe people just look at the 12% and think that's your only reward. Please think outside the box just a little.
your character benefits from the throw mixup.

There are only really a handful of characters that would benefit from throwing over staggering their strings.

and yes, you do throw a shit ton. More than probably anyone else.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't know why most don't throw more. They're great and Chicago throws hella.

Throw/2,1 or f+2,1 is Kitana's best 50/50 and her best way to punish counter poke attempts.

I play with guys that are very good at teching. Dizzy is the best I've seen at teching throws. I still throw him all day. I will throw Mike all day.
I meant Mike barely can throw me, because I just tech it most of the time.

Okay, you throw me with Kitana...I eat 12% and get knocked down...and then DTR away. Of course, Kitana's throw puts you at a range that's really good for her anyway. Someone like Cage or Sub lose ALL offensive momentum by throwing. DTR fucks up throws offensively way too much. I love Cages throwing me.

Not every offensive character benefits from throwing. Off the top of the head, the only characters that truly benefit from throwing for offensive momentum is Kitana, Reptile, Sheeva, Jax and Sonya. The rest don't really keep any momentum, it's just damage, and if they need to stay in, they can't throw, or that's too much room to breathe.

When I say throws are stronger defensively, I mean that they are good for a quick 12% and some room to breathe if you need it. Get a moment to put some pressure if the opponent gets close, and throw. Defensive characters benefit the most from this because they want the opponent to be further away, and the throw does that for the most part. It makes the opponent have to respect it when they're finally in. On a character that wants to rush, unless the throw leaves them so close that you aren't getting away, they're better off not using it, cuz that's just room to roll away.

The reason we still think throws are good for offense is because no one DTRs.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You won't love being thrown by Cage when you're thrown into the corner and now have to deal with Cage's corner pressure.

THTB

You won't love being thrown by Cage when you're thrown into the corner and now have to deal with Cage's corner pressure.
That's the only time it's actually strong. Otherwise he doesn't want to throw, really.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
THTB has gotten on to what I was going to say to GGA 16 Bit.

Kitana has possibly the best offense throw game considering her options after it. Kitana is one of the few characters that can use her throw as genuine threat in rush down in mid-screen. Sure Cage can throw you into the corner, but midscreen he has nearly no incentive to throw because he get's meter from his continuous block strings which means he can continue his block strings. Scorpion on the other hand does not have a good throw in my opinion.

Also, what do people think about the (generally) universal damage of 12%? I'm wondering whether I would agree with characters getting more favourable set-ups from a throw for less damage that a throw that grants no advantage afterwards.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I love Raiden so much lol he has answer for everything :p
yea and that answer is generally "no"
no to your setups,
no to your frametraps,
no to zoning,
no to your throw mixups,
no to follow ups after d3/d4 on hit
and on a more personal note, no to blade charge

NRS did good nerfing the crap outta him lol :p

also that people talking about throws that suit the chars playstyle,
mileenas kind of fits that well,
knocks you fullscreen for her to start her zoning,pretty handy

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I throw people like mad with KL, sets him up for safe 5050s which lead into chip & more pressure. As well as that since it's so quick you can reset the opponent back to square one and probably throw them multiple times before they get pissed and make a bigger mistake.

But he's a character fortunate enough to have a meaningful throw, because you cant escape him. With Cage on the other hand, why throw when I can get 12% chip instead.

Teching doesnt seem to make sense to me, I tech throws ALOT but I dunno if I'm blocking when I do, I just dont pay attention.

THTB

My only issue is that you can't tech throws while blocking, if you could it would be fine in my opinion.
If you could tech while blocking, throws would have no purpose. Ermac would be unable to push you to full screen when he needs you there. Kitana would not have anything to open up your defense with. The only character that would be able to even throw you is Jax, because he has, hands down, the best throw in the game. He is the only character who can throw you in either direction, and still throw you towards the corner, and it does the second-highest damage of any normal throw.

@Foxy, yeah that's true about Lao's. Can't he still hit you with f2 if you jump back or DTR?