Do you like MKXL

• Yes

Votes: 177 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.2%

• Total voters

Matix218

Get over here!
As far as the game goes, I think it's easily the least flawed NRS game to date (and probably the best balanced), and definitely the most polished. The flaws for the most part, are mainly down to personal preferences and that's a good thing. However, in case said flaws bother you, they can be considered MAJOR flaws. Stuff like 50/50's and super oppressive offense can be pretty tiresome if that's not your cup of tea.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 50/50's, especially combined with the ridiculous run speed that many characters have (that also ties in to how dangerous knockdown situations can be), but I really feel that's my only gripe with the game. And I realize Injustice was a 50/50 heavy game as well, but in MKX, it just feels like setting up 50/50's is a more straightforward affair, which makes it a bit more annoying.

On the whole though, I love the variation system, I love godlike net code, and I really don't think the game has any major issues (some so called issues are really overblown or flat out untrue, such as so alleged lack of AA options). So yeah, I like it quite a bit.
For me personally the major issues I have with the game are the run mechanic and 50/50s that lead to high damage (35-40+%). I think that if 50 50s did lower damage or didn't launch people would have much less of an issue with them in general. Also I think the run mechanic just allows you to close way to much distance too quickly which diminishes the neutral "dance" for position that most fg players love. Also the run mechanic weakens anti airs just by existing since you (as a defender) just have far too many things you have to be looking out for at jump distance. (Run in throw, run in pressure/tick throw, run in 50/50, jump in, etc)

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
This thread is a really small sample and doesn't really reflect much. It's not like every competitive player is posting.

Like Injustice and MK9, some like it, some don't. I literally don't see any difference, and there is no particular "demographic" that likes this game more than others (ie those who are only casuals vs. experienced fighting game players).

Remember how many people took a shit all over Injustice, many of which being experienced tournament players? You could have made that same statement then.
This is true, mind you I would like if we could get the majority of the communities opinions on this.

We'll never be able to get a proper example as most people who don't like it aren't on the forum, plus not everyone who even plays the game is on here, but it's interesting to see a general sample still.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Wait so am I the only one who doesn't understand what people mean by the game should not have 50/50s? Its a game where you blocked right or low but if you dont, theres a combo. While I hate fighting sonya and kano, what would we do without 50/50s? How would you open your opponent up if they just constantly block. I feel as if that what makes tournaments fun. Can anyone give me feedback because I actually didnt play MK9 or IJGAU too much so I have no basis for the boring to watch statement I made. Anyways, I already feel the hate coming. Shoot me with it
Edit: HTBs are complete bullshit and should be removed, Im just talking about regular 50/50s in general

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
MK XL has:

1) Best single player mode of any other fighting game except some old SC maybe

2) Amazing online (after the last patch, that is)

3) Very balanced roster. Despite all the silly complains 3/4 of the variations are competitive and get used in tournaments. It's not rare to find 8 different variations in top 8 around the world

4) Great graphics

5) A lot of very different characters/ variations, enough to satisfy pretty much every taste

MK9 and Injustice were fun games overall, but don't really compare. Are we going to say that p1 advantage, horrible online, meter drain glitch, very unbalanced rosters, infinities, etc... didn't exist?

And no, I don't play just MK lol
In terms of presentation and content it is very good, easily the best FG ever. You could argue balance, you could argue unbalanced, especially considering what we've seen in ESL and combo breaker.

These things are not what I'm having problems with. The game caters to a fairly narrow style and most of the best variations revolve around it. I think this is best expressed by the fact that nearly all of the 'interesting' variations are the worst variation for the respective character. The game has seriously oppressive offense, limited defensive options, a footsie game that is highly unappealing to me which is comprised of lack luster AA's ( lack luster when compared to the jump attacks and the risk/reward), run mechanic (some characters have silly quick run speeds), huge range advancing mids, a wake up system that doesn't really work that well, and a very question distribution of risk/reward options.

No one is saying that MK9 or Injustice are better in quality or amount of flaws, but they are saying the games actual gameplay was more diverse and enjoyable.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Reading this thread made me realise how balls some of you are lololol, a lot of the situations people complain about is on them, not the engine.
To be fair, you did drop your favourite character Kung Lao because he couldn't maul people the same way he used to. The 'git gud' argument packs less of a punch when you were forced to pick a character in contention for best in the game in order for you to feel confident in winning tournaments again.

Does it speak of you as a player? I don't think so, it speaks of the game.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Wait so am I the only one who doesn't understand what people mean by the game should not have 50/50s? Its a game where you blocked right or low but if you dont, theres a combo. While I hate fighting sonya and kano, what would we do without 50/50s? How would you open your opponent up if they just constantly block. I feel as if that what makes tournaments fun. Can anyone give me feedback because I actually didnt play MK9 or IJGAU too much so I have no basis for the boring to watch statement I made. Anyways, I already feel the hate coming. Shoot me with it
Edit: HTBs are complete bullshit and should be removed, Im just talking about regular 50/50s in general
There aren't wide spread 50/50's in SFV, yet people get opened up because there is more to offense then guessing right on a high/low mixup.

When the aggressor is gaining meter and dealing chip damage on top of threatening to throw you, you can't just block all day. But this is enough to make people try to escape or challenge pressure, thus giving the aggressor the chance to open you up through mind games.

Don't forget that footsies are a way of landing damage.

vicious1024

Does it matter?
Despite eventually hating a lot of the character designs and balance philosophy, I still think MKXL is a pretty cool fighting game and a great game overall.

The switch to rollback netcode and refinement of past NRS titles has me excited for Injustice 2.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
I love the game, the looks, the design, the sound, MK universe (although MKX misses a lot of characters), variation system it's cool..

i dont like how the meta was designed, or how the meta eveolved, how it encourages braindead playstyle where you dont get to risk nothing or, worst, get advantageous situations.. a game where you have fast advancing mids / strings that travels half screen and are -1/+2 with no recovery whatsoever, where you have safe / plus 50/50s that takes away half of your life, hard to blockables on oki that armour breaks, safe on block / whiff specials that HKDs... an inexistent solid Anti air game for half the cast but a bs Air game with jins / Njps that have disjointed hitboxes, no hurtbox, and that are plus on block with a huge priority, and jails into the next mixup or 50/50.

I'd like those things above to be almost gone... i can live with 50/50s as long as i can punish them or as long as they dont take 35% of your life.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
What exactly are you talking about? I'm open for different point of views. Who knows, you might open my eyes to things i don't realize yet
I see people complaining about 'no footsies', when they themselves have no footsies, and also sucked in injustice/mk9 in the same areas they're complaining about.

Injustice was actually worse for 5050s because there was also cross ups.

5050 situations aren't free in MKX, you have to do something wrong in the first place, either in neutral or defensively to put yourself in that scenario.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Kitana
Mileena
Quan Chi
Shinnok
Sektor
Leatherface
Alien
Predator

All of these characters can zone well. Not in every match up, but pure projectile based zoning doesn't exist in too many fighters these days.

More to the point, the zoning exists to force mistakes for punishment, not to deplete an entire lifebar with fireballs.
We want braindead zoning!!!! :mad:.
:DOGE

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
...Jump attacks being as they are...yeah. There is the option to trip-guard them, but I still feel that jump attacks have no business out-prioritizing grounded attacks. If they can't lead to combos, fine, but can I please smack those bunnies out of the air without the need to use meter?...

In relation to jump attacks, there's the concern of an added slowdown to your character's auto-correct before their attack comes out. Your character may have a great D2, but you may have noticed that on occasion, it comes out slower than usual while you're auto-correcting against an opponent jumping over you, and then said D2 loses to their jump attack. I have an eight-frame D2 that sometimes fails to beat cross-ups because of this.
First, great post. Second, thank you for bringing this to light. Very few mentioned the autocorrect problem in this forum, being one of the most awful choices from NRS. And I agree, jumps were fine besides the autocorrect issue, the thing was the lack of reliable antiair tools for the most part.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
You know it's funny (and foxy pointed it out already) that I would say injustice played largely the same, with the only real difference being no delayed getup, invincible wake-up attacks, and of course the plodding walk speeds. MKX sort of "fixed" the grounded mobility issue, and changed the getup game, but the core attacks are largely the same. It's interesting to see how people's opinions differ from game to game.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
people complained about no movement & defensive options in injustice now they complain about too much movement & offensive options hmmm

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
IMO NRS should get rid of Superman F23 type of strings and very slow walkspeeds in general
I'm very very confident Injustice 2 will get rid of this, just look how different MK9 was from MKX.

Advice:
Again, this is nothing new to what has already being said, NRS needs to start establishing ground rules in their games if they don't want to have headaches balancing towards afterwards, its completely sad when a Dev that supposedly values everyone's opinion decides your post is full of shit, or someone just doesn't know what they're talking about, and the balanced decisions turns out to be knee jerk reactions, with laughable outcomes in some of them. Practice what you preach NRS, no character tool should ever break rules of what you've stablished, stop introducing individual and exclusive mechanics into DLC characters after realeasing the game with no character being designed with tools to stop those things.

I will forever be annoyed by how Triborg has delayable dial string like a tekken character while everyone else doesn't, and how Alien animation can avoid mids and overheads, fullscreen disjoined hitbox low or overheads that combos, these need to stop.
Best advice ever.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
You know it's funny (and foxy pointed it out already) that I would say injustice played largely the same, with the only real difference being no delayed getup, invincible wake-up attacks, and of course the plodding walk speeds. MKX sort of "fixed" the grounded mobility issue, and changed the getup game, but the core attacks are largely the same. It's interesting to see how people's opinions differ from game to game.
This is true and I suppose it really comes down to the generally reactionary play style of Injuistice footsies vs the general reads based footsies style of MKX.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
This is true and I suppose it really comes down to the generally reactionary play style of Injuistice footsies vs the general reads based footsies style of MKX.
Right, they both represent the two extremes. Injustice top tiers were could be played highly defensive with rushdown characters having little option to advance in, and the opposite goes for MKX. I assume somewhere along the line we get the best of both worlds (Hopefully with invincible wakeups).