What's new

Dive kick set ups after Leg Grab hits

So Ive been messing around with Sonya alot lately, but mostly in training mode. Ive noticed that she has a good advantage after a leg grab hits. So Ive been messing around with a setup where after i land a leg grab (most of her good combos end with leg grab) I will throw out a dive kick. Depending on when you throw out the dive kick, it can hit or wiff, cross up or land in front. This set up looks like it could be nice because if you cross up, the opponents controls are reversed, thus messing up his wakeup attack so he has to kind of guess what side you will land on with the wiff dive kick. And even if he inputs the command correctly, you recover from the wiffed dive kick quick enough to block and punish. If the opponent attempts to block, you can grab after the wiffed dive kick. If he attempts to tech the grab or just use any normal, you can time the dive kick a bit later so that you make contact and go into combo, or after the wiffed dive kick, throw out a cartwheel or any normal string that leads into combo. Im not sure how valid or useful this is because I havent gotten a chance to play online today and i got no one around to play offline with me (/wrists). So if anyone is using this or can try this out, let me know what you think! Also, Kung Lao spin can punish a wiffed cross up dive kick, but hes the only one and its only if its a cross up, in which case his controls are reversed anyway. Reptiles elbow dash goes underneath Sonya and everyone else gets blocked and punished. Maybe I just miss playing Rufus in SSF4, but I think this is a decent set up. Anyway, let me know what you think!

TrembleGoose

Aww, damn!!
Did some minor testing with my sparring partner(used Ermac) last night. It seems to be one of those situations like Noob's EX Low Clone on hit, where the opp can tech roll backwards. I was stuffing wakeup Push/EX Push if I did the divekick deep enough. If he rolled back, I had to dash and then Divekick for the crossup/stuff Push. Will do some more testing tonight/tomorrow night if possible, but it seems like a situational tool at best, but still a tool nonetheless.

Got me also thinking on incorporating crossover punch/just plain dashing into MS in their face, but I do believe this will require extensive testing with every character to see what we can exploit and get away with. This is definitely a path we should research. Hopefully it will yield solid results.

Good shit on this find btw. Got a lot of labwork to do with her.

cancel MS~f1 into a whiffed arc kick crossup over the knockdown, and you have time to jump back over and cross them up a second time. This seems to be the safest bet, imo. You can also just not jump back over them to mix it up further.

TrembleGoose

Aww, damn!!
Ah okay. On a slightly related note, is it even possible to cancel MS~f1 back into MS? Ive tried and tried, but only kiss comes out.