What's new

Combo Video - Displacer Displacer Raiden

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I do think that Displacer with MK9 teleport will be a bit ridiculous. Remember that MK9 Raiden had no ways to open people up and relied on not giving away life lead, hanging back and hopefully allowing opponent to hang himself. His only real mixups were "reverse mixups" relying on opponent wanting to armor his gaps with unsafe moves. Even then some people claim that with vanilla teleport he would be tournament viable. Think about it, considering how silly some of those tournament viable characters of MK9 were.

In terms of playstyle though, that was actually perfect transition of the character into gameplay. A protector that acts defensively, holds on home advantage and employs philosophy of aikido against reckless attackers. That's what he did in the story, that's how you were playing him too. Aggressive MKX Raiden that opens you up, drags into the corner and murders you there feels like full-on Dark Raiden lol (not that he's the only character that does that, but whatever).

I actually want to see Displacer to be MK9 Raiden re-imagined, but he needs to lose something IMO. At least something like b33 string (keeping b34 intact...) and special cancel option selects (I think they should go universally though), maybe even b3 period.
Shocker scaling glitch that happens when you pick up opponent from the ground late in combo should be probably fixed universally too.

But can we have something like old TP back instead?

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
I do think that Displacer with MK9 teleport will be a bit ridiculous. Remember that MK9 Raiden had no ways to open people up and relied on not giving away life lead, hanging back and hopefully allowing opponent to hang himself. His only real mixups were "reverse mixups" relying on opponent wanting to armor his gaps with unsafe moves. Even then some people claim that with vanilla teleport he would be tournament viable. Think about it, considering how silly some of those tournament viable characters of MK9 were.

In terms of playstyle though, that was actually perfect transition of the character into gameplay. A protector that acts defensively, holds on home advantage and employs philosophy of aikido against reckless attackers. That's what he did in the story, that's how you were playing him too. Aggressive MKX Raiden that opens you up, drags into the corner and murders you there feels like full-on Dark Raiden lol (not that he's the only character that does that, but whatever).

I actually want to see Displacer to be MK9 Raiden re-imagined, but he needs to lose something IMO. At least something like b33 string (keeping b34 intact...) and special cancel option selects (I think they should go universally though), maybe even b3 period.
Shocker scaling glitch that happens when you pick up opponent from the ground late in combo should be probably fixed universally too.

I'd have to disagree. MK9 teleport, especially in this game, would be pretty fair imo. b33 is already full combo punishable and everyone knows how pathetic you look after a whiffed/blocked b2. Not only that but his normals aren't that great in displacer/MoS compared to the rest of the cast and in this variation he's a lot more meter dependent without a consistent way to build it. Teleport that is still punishable on a read but if timed correctly should be able to punish poor zoning. That was supposed to be the purpose in the first place right?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX

I'd favor this... like I wouldn't care too much (re: at fucking all) if he lost B2 and B33 and they were replaced by really solid poking tools that didn't launch and were maybe kinda slow but had good reach and block/hit frames, and a dumb fucking teleport. Like I said before, the teleport could even lose it's invincible nature lest meter burned (this is an acceptable trade off from MK9... seems to be in the spirit of this iteration) but omfg that shit should recover so damn fast. You spend stamina on this shit too y'know. Hell I wouldn't even mind Shinnok damage without a corner if that teleport was worthy in anyway.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'd have to disagree. MK9 teleport, especially in this game, would be pretty fair imo. b33 is already full combo punishable...
I think b33 can be block confirmed into shocker. I mean, you're inputting it anyway every time, just have to decide whether to ex or not. Not exactly my definition of full "combo punish-ability", so that's why I'm saying that. If you feel that mixup is necessary, then keep b3 and b34, but keep in mind there will still be an option to be safe.

Not only that but his normals aren't that great in displacer/MoS compared to the rest of the cast and in this variation he's a lot more meter dependent without a consistent way to build it.
He'll be less meter dependant when you don't have to EX tp every time, plus good tp may make it possible to combo some things meterless making his combo less inferior to TG than they are currently. Also decent TP means possibly okay ways to build meter - not TG level obviously, but still better than some other characters have.

ITeleport that is still punishable on a read but if timed correctly should be able to punish poor zoning. That was supposed to be the purpose in the first place right?
Well, my to-go use of TP in MK9 was to punish pretty much everything unless it's fast string with little recovery. So it's not exactly anti-zoning tool only.

For the record, I'm posting all that keeping in mind that current tops, possibly including TG, should probably get massive nerf boot to the face.

I'd favor this... like I wouldn't care too much (re: at fucking all) if he lost B2 and B33 and they were replaced by really solid poking tools that didn't launch and were maybe kinda slow but had good reach and block/hit frames, and a dumb fucking teleport.
Actually, yeah, pokes are must for that.

Like I said before, the teleport could even lose it's invincible nature lest meter burned (this is an acceptable trade off from MK9... seems to be in the spirit of this iteration) but omfg that shit should recover so damn fast. You spend stamina on this shit too y'know. Hell I wouldn't even mind Shinnok damage without a corner if that teleport was worthy in anyway.
Thing is, if you keep it 10f with no invincibility, you can as well f1 into something instead. Safer and will beat out many more things than 10f teleport. That is, unless you prefer TP to be anti-zoning. MB TP is already fine, although I'd like to know accurate frame data on that because what's given to us is incorrect. People were crying foul because they actually believed that you can actually be anywhere within 7 frames.

So... I'd add some startup improvement.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
I think b33 can be block confirmed into shocker. I mean, you're inputting it anyway every time, just have to decide whether to ex or not. Not exactly my definition of full "combo punish-ability", so that's why I'm saying that. If you feel that mixup is necessary, then keep b3 and b34, but keep in mind there will still be an option to be safe.

He'll be less meter dependant when you don't have to EX tp every time, plus good tp may make it possible to combo some things meterless making his combo less inferior to TG than they are currently. Also decent TP means possibly okay ways to build meter - not TG level obviously, but still better than some other characters have.

Well, my to-go use of TP in MK9 was to punish pretty much everything unless it's fast string with little recovery. So it's not exactly anti-zoning tool only.

For the record, I'm posting all that keeping in mind that current tops, possibly including TG, should probably get massive nerf boot to the face.

Actually, yeah, pokes are must for that.

Thing is, if you keep it 10f with no invincibility, you can as well f1 into something instead. Safer and will beat out many more things than 10f teleport. That is, unless you prefer TP to be anti-zoning. MB TP is already fine, although I'd like to know accurate frame data on that because what's given to us is incorrect. People were crying foul because they actually believed that you can actually be anywhere within 7 frames.

So... I'd add some startup improvement.
I don't know 20 frame recovery or so, I don't see raw tp combos really happening even with b14 but it would be interesting to see that work and if so then yeah some adjustments should be made. TG like damage with teleport mobility shouldn't really be a thing especially when you have b14 as a string. That's the only thing that would really worry me as far as the teleport goes, but beyond that I don't see how removing the low string starter, one that requires meter to do any significant damage, would justifiably compensate for an improved teleport. We may just have to agree to disagree and you may be correct in the long term as far as nerfs go, but can't shocker just be neutral ducked after the b33?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
TG like damage with teleport mobility shouldn't really be a thing especially when you have b14 as a string.
I agree with that.

beyond that I don't see how removing the low string starter, one that requires meter to do any significant damage, would justifiably compensate for an improved teleport.
That depends on how good meterless TP is too. If you can pseudo parry many things with it like it used to be in MK9 (which may not be the case though seeing how good advancing strings are in MKX and how recoveries are generally better), then I'm not sure if Displacer must have yet another way to open people up.

We may just have to agree to disagree and you may be correct in the long term as far as nerfs go, but can't shocker just be neutral ducked after the b33?
Gotta check that. If it is so, then I can't say there's a problem with that. I mean, you can mix stuff up further with superman/lightning, but risk/reward is not in your favour here.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
I agree with that.

That depends on how good meterless TP is too. If you can pseudo parry many things with it like it used to be in MK9 (which may not be the case though seeing how good advancing strings are in MKX and how recoveries are generally better), then I'm not sure if Displacer must have yet another way to open people up.

Gotta check that. If it is so, then I can't say there's a problem with that. I mean, you can mix stuff up further with superman/lightning, but risk/reward is not in your favour here.
I can agree with this. It truly does come down to how good the teleport is but if there is a buff in the works I trust NRS to get it right. Besides my biggest issue in the first place was the phase and in front entities of the teleport. I just knew that at the cost of half stamina the frames of the teleport would be different. No point in phasing right in front of the opponent just so you can materialize into an 35% combo. But hey I'll just deal until then.

I had this raging scorpion player get so made when I did 214 EX tele 213 etc cause he doesnt know that its all one combo, hes like I BLOCKED IT WTF

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
This is pre patch and now only does like 54% but it is ridiculously long and swagged out like most check combos
Have you tried following up that uppercut with b111+3 instead of b14 shocker? I'm curious to see if that worked and what the damage difference is. Typically ending with the throw combo does a bit more damage.

f1 nerf which was intended to hurt TG, made me actually switch to TG except for certain matchups.
Why can't it be mid for us and mos and high for TG?

I didn't need to use it that often, but it gave them a reason not to just duck and poke, which made 214 less stuffable

After trying a lot of different timings, I can officially confirm that f12b3 x3 into shocker/superman etc is possible midscreen with good timing on the beta. Its hard to pinpoint what adjustment I made but I think I was running for a slightly longer amount of time than before, but maybe thats just in my head. Im definately sure that it was a clean hit and the opponent didnt slightly jump or something to give me more time, it was right from f12 pressure

I dont think vicinity blast has been altered at all, but because of less lag VBCs are finally viable and now instead of going "oh shit i landed a vicinity cancel again" now its "oh crap i missed one"

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
After trying a lot of different timings, I can officially confirm that f12b3 x3 into shocker/superman etc is possible midscreen with good timing on the beta. Its hard to pinpoint what adjustment I made but I think I was running for a slightly longer amount of time than before, but maybe thats just in my head. Im definately sure that it was a clean hit and the opponent didnt slightly jump or something to give me more time, it was right from f12 pressure

I dont think vicinity blast has been altered at all, but because of less lag VBCs are finally viable and now instead of going "oh shit i landed a vicinity cancel again" now its "oh crap i missed one"
it was possible before the beta too