What's new

Discussion: The Timer (Poll)

Should the timer be reduced to allow the clock to play a factor in matches?

• Yes

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Figured I'd start this discussion since I hear it a lot but not in one place. What is everyone's opinion on this 240 second clock? Seems like with so much time we'll never have a timeout or pressure to scrabble with the clock winding down. Do we even need a clock if it's 240? Some of the best round ending hype close outs in Inj1 were the players scrambling to land their hit and win before a timeout.

Has anyone experimented on what a match feels like with a shorter clock? If you think a shorter clock would be better how much shorter would be the suggestion? If like it how it is what makes it better than a clock that forces scrambles?

Trying to gauge the overall opinion if people feel the clock is better not factoring in, or if they prefer the clock being a factor in matches.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
The problem is that unlike in MKX, the timer doesn't reset after an opponent loses their first lifebar, so back in beta, it wasn't 90 seconds to finish a round, it was 90 seconds to finish a match, so timeouts happened all the time. 240 seconds feels like too large a step in the opposite direction, though. 120-180 sounds like a decent middle ground.

EDIT: Actually, wait. Are these seconds actual seconds or NRS seconds where they're like, 1.5 or something? That'd just make 240 even more overkill if it's the latter.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
I think 180 would be a good amount of time honestly. That's 2 90 second rounds. I kinda get why they have it at 240. Because its almost three rounds but they expect both players to take some damage inbetween.

It just counts down pretty slow honestly.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
It seems quite high yes. I'm curious if it's like that for all the multiverse stuff. You would think that can be separated but maybe not.

Wavy

Block Spammer
It def needs to be reduced. It's really high right now. If I were them I'd keep track of every match time at combo breaker. Average it then add 10-20 seconds. The closer the match finishes to the timer the more hype it can be in my opinion.

Yeah I remember in beta the time went so quick it was almost impossible for comebacks and seen a lot of timeouts. Haha, they made sure it wouldn't happen on release.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
No, I want it to stay the way it is for now for my own reasons, but I think it could go to 120-180 in the near future.

Temetias

"MKX kid"

The last sentence of the video pretty much sums up what I think about this. A timeout in any of those matches would've been such a hype killer. This was maybe one of the best sets I've ever seen tbh.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
On one hand I agree that the timer is super high.

On the other hand I don't think it would be a great idea to change it right now. Zoning is incredibly strong in the current meta, and for a lot of characters it takes a lot of patience and time to get anything going against Fate/Deadshot etc. I don't think these characters need any extra advantages, which a shorter timer would certainly be one.