What's new

direction PLUS button to block

is button PLUS direction to block a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 84.4%

• Total voters
this is more about fighting games in general but i feel like the mk 10 forum is also an ok place for this thread

on topic: i feel like a block button and directions to block both have their good and bad sides.

on the good side, with a button you have no auto block, while with directional block you have more game depth due to crossups.

on the bad side, the button automatically blocks crossups, while the directional block auto-blocks surprise attacks when walking back, trying to bx or whatever. also you sometimes lose positioning when you want to block because of walking back. so in general, everything the game does for you that is not intentional is bad, because it removes psychological depth and skill dependance from the game.

a solution that would cover the downsides ive mentioned would be having to block actively with a button as well as choosing the right direction. that makes the game complicated though, especially when it comes to blocking low and directional. another idea would be to have two dedicated block buttons, forward and backward, which makes low blocking less complicated.

what do you think?

Sami

Noob
For MK in general, the entire point of the block button is because of the massive number of teleport attacks that exist in the game. There's even double teleport punches (smoke). In addition, MK now has such a strong wake-up game that the guaranteed cross-up attempt present in SF and the like wouldn't be relevant in MK due to the number of moves with wake-up invincibility.

So with a uni-direction blocking system required for teleport attacks (lets not forget some characters have setups that could hit you from both sides of the screen at once, e.g. Reptile) and that the knockdown player can be at an advantage, the only reason MK would need cross-ups is for a raw jump over a standing opponent.

On a personal note, I've always considered the cross-up to be a flaw in the directional blocking system. While it has become part of the standard for fighting games, the existence of a move that - when timed well - is completely impossible to read and requires a guess as to which pixel your opponent will side on is a fucking retarded mechanic. And yes, this is coming from a Raven player who abused the hell out of them - doesn't mean I don't think that they're dumb :p. There's no depth to luck.

How about we make it to where you have to press the block button and perform the input that the opponent is doing in reverse in order to block the move correctly. That way it another layer of depth to blocking. There is literally no reason to have back and a button combined. Literally the only thing that does is it makes blocking crossups slightly more annoying while continuing to have the same basic blocking style as MK. Choose one, not both

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
don't care, i want to wait, cuz know i realize the only way i can get what i want is getting an important job in NRS lol.

Then they should play Injustice or Street Fighter for that, it sf and kof does this for ages.

Honestly, adding a back to block mechanic just because of a jump tactic that can be used while ppl wakeup is retarded.
Just saying that's no different than adding fireball trades just because of a certain characters zoning when you can just play SF instead but I agree that MK should keep the block button. Honestly MK10 should just keep the basic gameplay mechanics of MK9 but fix some of the bugs and balance better.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Considering that MK's thing is basically "Block Button: The Game" I think changing it would be probably the dumbest move that NRS could make.

Because of it the movement and footises of the game are the way they are, and more imporantly the FEEL of the game is the way it is.

Minh Giang

maybe the only way to plz both people who want blk button and b2b is making a block system like tekken, people can't block when char's back faces opponent's move, so if you want to block crossup, you must press both block and back button.
well, horrible idea lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The directional Input (back) + blocking, was an Hidden MK mechanic concept that prevented players to get thrown in MK3, UMK3, and MKT, the input disable the block action in the opponent attempting to throw, i'm pretty sure AK Juggs and Shock confirm this as well. On those games where irrelevant, avoiding throws was a basic concept, however i didn't matter much because if you're not getting thrown out, you would be Kara jabed for chip damage until your cluch breaks and get punished for bad decision at bad timing.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Just saying that's no different than adding fireball trades just because of a certain characters zoning when you can just play SF instead but I agree that MK should keep the block button. Honestly MK10 should just keep the basic gameplay mechanics of MK9 but fix some of the bugs and balance better.
after a few very intelligent and healthy discussion posts made by very respectable ppl instead of bashing someone to death, i understood why it could be bad, and in fact i agreed with most of them. I was wrong i admit that.

But some ppl just want to "crossup", understand what i mean?

Minh Giang

after a few very intelligent and healthy discussion posts made by very respectable ppl instead of bashing someone to death, i understood why it could be bad, and in fact i agreed with most of them. I was wrong i admit that.

But some ppl just want to "crossup", understand what i mean?
if NRS really can make b2b work, like people can react and block Scorpion's teleport, not someshit happened in Injustice, and they put L+R unblockable, reptile will be god tier :p.

cyke_out

Noob
On a personal note, I've always considered the cross-up to be a flaw in the directional blocking system. While it has become part of the standard for fighting games, the existence of a move that - when timed well - is completely impossible to read and requires a guess as to which pixel your opponent will side on is a fucking retarded mechanic. And yes, this is coming from a Raven player who abused the hell out of them - doesn't mean I don't think that they're dumb :p. There's no depth to luck.
50/50's exist is a lot of games and they come in more forms than just cross-ups. In those situations, when it's an unseeable guess, and not something you can block on reaction, you need to play your opponent more than his character and make reads based off of his habits. In my opinion, Cross-ups are one of the more fair 50/50's, most can be recognized given the right spacing and set up, and you use anti-air moves to stuff them, or some sort of evasive technique like an invincible backdash to get out of both options, or some sort of armor move.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
if NRS really can make b2b work, like people can react and block Scorpion's teleport, not someshit happened in Injustice, and they put L+R unblockable, reptile will be god tier :p.
No, Mortal Kombat is not only about specials, throwing projectiles or blocking scorpion tele (i can see you had a bad exp from injustice), its way beyond this.

The block is such an important mechanic of the game and wasn't made only for blocking the wheird projectiles the game has as smoke's teleport, reptile's setups, there is also a very important one which is movement, dash blocking mechanic allows to calculate space without necessary stop the entire flow of the game at all, if you take the blocking mechanic, MK will imediatly turn into what is happening in Injustice, fake approaching wouldn't be possible, avoiding certain screen frametraps wouldn't be possible, and ppl would cry like it is happening in Injustice now.

The only MK that was more about specials than anything else is probably MK2, the rest isin't.

Minh Giang

No, Mortal Kombat is not only about specials, throwing projectiles or blocking scorpion tele (i can see you had a bad exp from injustice), its way beyond this.

The block is such an important mechanic of the game and wasn't made only for blocking the wheird projectiles the game has as smoke's teleport, reptile's setups, there is also a very important one which is movement, dash blocking mechanic allows to calculate space without necessary stop the entire flow of the game at all, if you take the blocking mechanic, MK will imediatly turn into what is happening in Injustice, fake approaching wouldn't be possible, avoiding certain screen frametraps wouldn't be possible, and ppl would cry like it is happening in Injustice now.

The only MK that was more about specials than anything else is probably MK2, the rest isin't.
as i said, i will wait cuz i can never have the game i want iF i don't work for nrs :p. but i'm tired of dash cancelling :p, hope they will make slower fireball and injustice's dash system :p.
well, after saying it, i know people will bash me cuz i want mk10 to have something from injustice lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
as i said, i will wait cuz i can never have the game i want iF i don't work for nrs :p. but i'm tired of dash cancelling :p, hope they will make slower fireball and injustice's dash system :p.
well, after saying it, i know people will bash me cuz i want mk10 to have something from injustice lol.
You will get bashed for sure.:p

The dash Canceling System is good, and was actually replaced by the good old run canceling system that helps to maintain the flow of the game bro, if you don't want to cancel your dash and not being punished by it, play Injustice, or Street Fighter.:p

Most Angolan MK players already hated MK9 because of the lack of run button, even though the Run Proprieties where still half there.

The only thing that couldn't be done on MK9 was avoiding crossups by dashing out of it on reaction (you could just run away from it in others MK games) and MK9 crossups are equally retarded as sf, your character might stay immobile.
And lol at working at NRS only to change this man, just lol.

Minh Giang

You will get bashed for sure.:p

The dash Canceling System is good, and was actually replaced by the good old run canceling system that helps to maintain the flow of the game bro, if you don't want to cancel your dash and not being punished by it, play Injustice, or Street Fighter.:p

Most Angolan MK players already hated MK9 because of the lack of run button, even though the Run Proprieties where still half there.

The only thing that couldn't be done on MK9 was avoiding crossups by dashing out of it on reaction (you could just run away from it in others MK games) and MK9 crossups are equally retarded as sf, your character might stay immobile.
And lol at working at NRS only to change this man, just lol.
i know that mk10 will have something from injustice, fuck, i swear that :p.
Damn, i really miss Run System, it makes UMK3 fast as hell, i love it :p. But i want Injustice's dash system so maybe MK10 should have something like pressing FFF char will run immediately after forward dash. and when chars run, they will yell like Liu Kang "wutzupwitzat" in UMK3 lol. Just my own idea so don't bash me :p.