What's new

Question Did new patch break the game completely?

Did balance got worse after patch?

• Total voters

Belial

Noob
Recent patch has greatly hurt defensive options. Yes offence was hurt too, but defence was already bad in this game, and every nerf to it like a nail to a coffin.

Armor was random, yes, but at least it gave you a momentum to start the offence. Now characters with OP offence or plain dirt (like quan, cryo, kitana, shirai ryu) do not even respect you. Like, at all. In absense of armor normals define character strength

Also Jumps are barely changed. Compared to loss of armor that was used to antiair, Id say jumps got better than pre-patch.

Finally tools like throws and staggers which compliment offence became better as well.

Yes game became less random, but in turn it highlighted game problems even more. I bet now we'll see even less characters played than before.

Look at Shirai Ryu - he was supposed to be nerfed, wasnt he? But he only got better in this patch. No respect for armor, hard-to-blockables in place. Small nerf to ability to setup exkunai after f122+4 - is a neglible price to pay for, in fact, improved offence (relatively)

Now look at Kenshi - he was supposed to be buffed, right? But his normals are trash, he got no backdash and now they removed armor from him. His AA is butchered (db1 was one of the best AA armors in game - gone), his only hope is to outzone people, which is unlikely to happed despite nerfs to run.

And that stands for nearly every character in the game - Alien got even better for example. And then there are characters like Cryo, Kitana, Buzzsaw which excel at everything.

What patch did is in fact put the game in "manual mode" for NRS, where every broken stuff has to be hotfixed.

Last edited:

REO

Undead
I think players mostly relying on armor launchers last version of the game was just a way of sugar coating how powerful jumping can be in this game. Also a lot of the safe armor attacks are still an issue.

Luckily, NRS will still continue to support MKX and the game will improve with each patch. I still feel some jump attacks need to be nerfed and some imbalanced armor attacks need to be addressed.

There's definitely still some "super" characters in this patch that excel in nearly everything that is needed, and more.

Improving Block Breakers, nerfing some jump attacks, giving some characters viable anti-airs, toning some of the ridiculous armor attacks down, and buffing some characters backdashes should be looked into for the next patch. The balance issues will definitely start to rise and become more noticeable once players get more comfortable in this version of the game.

Overall, I like and prefer this version of MKX more than the last one we had. But more improvements are always welcome and should be discussed.

Belial

Noob
What this game needs is another defensive mechanic, not cosmetics like "Kounter".

I think lack of defencive options was primary concern about pre-patch MKX. With this patch defence became worse than before, dont you agree? If so, how could you love this new version more? Do you think the game is more balanced now, when its problems stand tall and there is no answer to it? Armor was a poor answer I agree completely. I completely agree on your points above as well. But we have what we have and have to judge it properly. No matter how stupid armor was it sort of balanced out stupidity of crazy offence.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
this version is better but is another classic case of nrs patches missing the whole picture. also why cant they just make d2s universally consistent to deal with these jump ins. it doesnt make sense dvorah gets her d2 when characters like lao or ferr torr have their double digit startup trash ones

KCJ506

Noob
I read somewhere that the patch actually removed a character's brutality. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so which one?

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I'd say the balance overall improved, but some changes are really questionable IMO. We can tell some characters were ruined by some of the universal changes and most of them weren't even S tier. As it stands, there's room for even more improvement.

REO

Undead
What this game needs is another defensive mechanic, not cosmetics like "Kounter".

I think lack of defencive options was primary concern about pre-patch MKX. With this patch defence became worse than before, dont you agree? If so, how could you love this new version more? Do you think the game is more balanced now, when its problems stand tall and there is no answer to it? Armor was a poor answer I agree completely. I completely agree on your points above as well. But we have what we have and have to judge it properly. No matter how stupid armor was it sort of balanced out stupidity of crazy offence.
I agree with you that it does need another defensive mechanic. More depth is always welcome. Maybe they should reduce the chip on certain strings or attacks that are advantage on block. Or maybe introduce no chip outs for normals, or something that will only benefit the defensive side of things.

I wouldn't say I absolute love this new version more. I just prefer it a bit more than the last one. Reasons being a lot of the unnecessary and bonkers 50/50 block advantage repetition characters were touched on, a lot of the extremely oppressive and imbalanced plus cancel characters were finally addressed, and all of the rampant and explosive armor launchers were normalized. Those three changes I mentioned are enough to make me enjoy this version more than the last one. But defense is still weak and pumping characters with safe armor is not the solution for it.

I agree with you somewhat. Making armored launchers does reduce your options on defense but because they nerfed 50/50s so much and added 2 hit armor defense is much more powerful and has a much better winning chance than pre patch. Now all they need to do is make sure no one still has crazy 50/50s (grandmaster).

This is the problem with broad generalizations in fighting games. While "armored launchers are bad game design" is a reasonable statement to make, removing them all when every character is balanced around a multitude of other complementary tools causes some serious issues.

This is why I hate when people say things like "all d2s should be the same" or "all d1s should have the same frame data". Identical moves possessed by multiple characters aren't always equally useful.

This is imo the biggest weakness NRS seems to have when it comes to balance. They group moves together instead of examining them on a case by case basis.

Belial

Noob
This is the problem with broad generalizations in fighting games. While "armored launchers are bad game design" is a reasonable statement to make, removing them all when every character is balanced around a multitude of other complementary tools causes some serious issues.

This is why I hate when people say things like "all d2s should be the same" or "all d1s should have the same frame data". Identical moves possessed by multiple characters aren't always equally useful.

This is imo the biggest weakness NRS seems to have when it comes to balance. They group moves together instead of examining them on a case by case basis.
I also find funny, how they had armor and "armorbreak" before, but now its all the same. There was some degree of depth to it at least, now its removed altogether.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Well in my opinion that this is the best version of the game that has been released so far. No doubt in my mind.

Like Reo said there are still some stand out characters, as there ALWAYS is in fighting games but in general the quality of life improvements across the board, have greatly improved the player experience for me.

Some of the overly oppressive stuff is gone, and despite some people loud complaining heavy hit characters are still totally viable. Nothing was "destroyed" and many were made viable when they just were not before.

Luckily, NRS will still continue to support MKX and the game will improve with each patch.
I really hope this true. I think MKx has a lot to offer and imo it is a really fun game that still has huge amounts of secret tech that hasn't come to light yet. Also with large patches like this, basically resetting everything there is like a new meta to explore nearly from scrtach. I find that reallyexciting.

I hope to the NRS Gods that MKx will continue to get more patch updates and I would be stoked to see more content as well.

I agree with you that it does need another defensive mechanic. More depth is always welcome. Maybe they should reduce the chip on certain strings or attacks that are advantage on block. Or maybe introduce no chip outs for normals, or something that will only benefit the defensive side of things.
The thing is Mortal Kombat is a slave to its own "style". There are things that are just "the way Mortal Kombat dose it" that is a relic from the MKI and II. What you are asking for here is no an adjustment, but changes that arguably will make the game NOT a mortal kombat game.

Now I am not saying this is a bad thing. I have been advocating less chip for years. I feel that for MK to truly grow it needs to shed some of this legacy design.

That being said, for now this design is part of it and it WILL NOT change, so there is no need to talk about it. What you are asking for hear (well not so much Reo) is not something you patch in, but you are asking for them to design a completely different game.

It is like saying you hate how in chess you can not jump over a pawn to take it like in checkers.

Belial

Noob
Well, I hope Im wrong, but im usually not. And so far I think you guys will be very unhappy about this patch in few coming weeks, once people start abusing new "top tier"

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I also find funny, how they had armor and "armorbreak" before, but now its all the same. There was some degree of depth to it at least, now its removed altogether.

lul it doesnt take a fighting games reviewboard to realize that armored launchers were cancer in mkxl. this isn't every fighting game ever made its ok to make hardline rules in your own game. like for instance with d2s. cleary intened as the universal aa button of every character in mkx. yet there are some characters who's d2s are godlike and there are some never even attempted. that's a problem, not whatever you're going on about that sounds like universal animations for every move.

the real problem coming from all these "gimme my armor back my character needed it" babies is just a side effect of the poor design around the balance of the game's design itself with the run mechanic, ranged normals, 50/50s, and jump ins.

you could make this a fighting game designed around mutliple launching armor specials and maybe it could be balanced but guess what nobody likes the idea of them at allnaccording to the existence of this patch.

Last edited:

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
this version is better but is another classic case of nrs patches missing the whole picture. also why cant they just make d2s universally consistent to deal with these jump ins. it doesnt make sense dvorah gets her d2 when characters like lao or ferr torr have their double digit startup trash ones
Dvorahs d2 isn't the ant air you need being to worrying about ;)

lul it doesnt take a fighting games reviewboard to realize that armored launchers were cancer in mkxl. this isn't every fighting game ever made its ok to make hardline rules in your own game. like for instance with d2s. cleary intened as the universal aa button of every character in mkx. yet there are some characters who's d2s are godlike and there are some never even attempted. that's a problem, not whatever you're going on about that sounds like universal animations for every move.

the real problem coming from all these "gimme my armor back my character needed it" babies is just a side effect of the poor design around the balance of the game's design itself with the run mechanic, ranged normals, 50/50s, and jump ins.

you could make this a fighting game designed around mutliple launching armor specials and maybe it could be balanced but guess what nobody likes the idea of them at allnaccording to the existence of this patch.
if all d2s become the same exact button then there will still be characters that benefit from it more than others. It'll just be based on what ranges they play at, the recovery of other normals, and other factors same with normalizing all pokes. Making one move exactly the same for every character isn't how you balance a fighting game.

Recent patch has greatly hurt defensive options. Yes offence was hurt too, but defence was already bad in this game, and every nerf to it like a nail to a coffin.

Armor was random, yes, but at least it gave you a momentum to start the offence. Now characters with OP offence or plain dirt (like quan, cryo, kitana, shirai ryu) do not even respect you. Like, at all. In absense of armor normals define character strength

Also Jumps are barely changed. Compared to loss of armor that was used to antiair, Id say jumps got better than pre-patch.

Finally tools like throws and staggers which compliment offence became better as well.

Yes game became less random, but in turn it highlighted game problems even more. I bet now we'll see even less characters played than before.

Look at Shirai Ryu - he was supposed to be nerfed, wasnt he? But he only got better in this patch. No respect for armor, hard-to-blockables in place. Small nerf to ability to setup exkunai after f122+4 - is a neglible price to pay for, in fact, improved offence (relatively)

Now look at Kenshi - he was supposed to be buffed, right? But his normals are trash, he got no backdash and now they removed armor from him. His AA is butchered (db1 was one of the best AA armors in game - gone), his only hope is to outzone people, which is unlikely to happed despite nerfs to run.

And that stands for nearly every character in the game - Alien got even better for example. And then there are characters like Cryo, Kitana, Buzzsaw which excel at everything.

What patch did is in fact put the game in "manual mode" for NRS, where every broken stuff has to be hotfixed.
You realize that SR got hit hard by the nerf hammer shaving his frames and actually nerfing his offense didn t make him better it made him worse. I m not saying by any stretch of the word that he is bad but he is not good either he is in the middle. About the HTB you always had a way out and If u don t have a 2 hit of armor move time to hit the lab mate.
As a whole I think this version of the game is better than the previous one MKX became better with every patch and it keeps getting better in NRS I believe

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Jump nerfs are definitely the minimal, in this patch, i still preffer this game version compared to the past one, there is indeed better neutral, but jumps are still dumb as hell. Slow walk characters like KL will have a hard time to space certain jump attacks

Also it seems the juggle physics is messed up, there is some combos that don't work anymore, and there are some that need to be delayed in order to work.

But i still find this game version less random overall, aside from a few things.