What's new

Diary of a Mad Black Scrub

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
*Mods if this is something not acceptable on your forum, my apologies. Just thought it would be something fun to look back on if I ever level up*

What is this?: A personal (very public) blog of my journey to level up. I'll post my ups and downs throughout my journey to level up. This isn't a "cry for help", just a place to put my thoughts. If you have advice on anything I post, feel free to post. If you have the urge to just troll, feel free to PM me. I'll post videos of matches and give my thoughts on them - again, you don't have to post, its just something I can look back on.

Background: I'm a 30 year old, married father of twin girls. I'm currently in the military stationed in Texas. I'm not a late blooming casual gamer, I'm a "most of my free time gaming gamer" so to speak. I never was the one for me vs CPU games (except for back in the day games like Mario, Command and Conquer, etc...) so the competition side of me always burned. The games I was most interested in were Call of Duty, Madden, NCAA Football and NBA 2K. I've probably taken thousands of dollars from money matches in Madden and in NBA 2K I loved teaching people the game which led to me creating a youtube channel. In COD, before it became this big eSport, I'd put my clan [)!3 up against anyone, we were pretty damn good.

But enough of the other games, what about Mortal Kombat? My love, a very casual elementary school love, for fighting games began in the 90s. I was pretty good for a kid but I played causally against family and friends. I had a moment in my preteen years where I'd sit at the arcade and take quarters but it never developed past that (though my game of choice back then was Street Fighter). Over the years I'd buy it but only play it casually until the next big game dropped (normally a sports game) before dropping it again. Back in 2011 I bought the game to look into getting competitive again but due to me being stationed in Germany, I couldn't find many others who played. With it dropping in 2015, as well as me being back in the States, I decided to give it a try. The moment the game was put in my console I fell in love. Over the last 7 months it has barely left my console. I started playing online and though I found great success, I wanted more. With my need to learn more, I somehow found TYM as I was searching out Mortal Kombat tournaments.

My first offline tournament, I got mopped. I beat the first opponent pretty handily but was mopped by two good players, one being one of the top cats in Austin. The way I lost, one would think I'd move on to the games I was better at but I was hooked. My new goal was to make them remember my name. I didn't care about winning the tournament money, I wanted respect. I used to get that respect while playing Texas Hold 'Em in Fort Lewis. When I walked into a tournament or sat down at the table, people knew who I was. When I played Madden, dudes were happy when they kept it close or they scored a touchdown. They knew my name. I want that feeling for Mortal Kombat. Sounds cliche but its the truth.

Once I found the group in Austin for offline tournaments, I was one of the most consistent ones to attend despite living one hour away. I am fully committed. I even bought an ASUS monitor so I wouldnt have to wast casual time getting my timing down with a different monitor. I traveled to Absolute Battle 6 (losing to CDjr and Henzzar, a top guy from Austin - yes, the same one I lost to in my first ever offline with MKX). I attended a couple of smaller local tournaments and did well but not to the standard I set for myself. I'm currently still being slaughtered in Austin as I prepare to "practice" for KIT - pretty much a free donation as I will be humiliated in pools more than likely. With 10K on the line I'm sure the best of the best will travel which doesn't bode well for a guy at my current skill level. Playing someone better only helps if you know what they're doing and being at a tournament isn't an automatic level up as most guys aren't going to tell you how to beat them.

Anyway, going to wrap this first post up, this is where I'm at currently. Getting mopped. Hopefully one day I can look back at this and smile once guys "remember my name" haha. I have to finish Breaking Bad one of these days.

I hope some of you guys take the time and read my thoughts, if not, I will haha.

JerzeyReign

22 November - 27 November 2015

Had a few sets over the last few days and I have mixed emotions.

Kitana (10-8, W)

Moved better against her but still struggled with spacing. Thought I had her moves spaced pretty well but the tip of her boot would just barely grab my hit box allowing her to combo. My defense looked pretty good except I got hit with the same strings despite knowing they were coming. I also had some bad jumps which she threw fans and combo'd. Not even sure why I jumped but I'll chalk it up to feeling like I was buckling my opponent and he was very well in control.

Kano/Cassie

Played a player I play every once and awhile so I knew Cassie wasn't his main. Kind of felt disrespected he would pull out his secondary against me. After realizing my Jacqui is probably a bit further along than his Cassie, she was put away - a shotgun blowing off your kneecaps can do that to a person. Against Kano, I performed surprisingly well. I dropped several combos that could have given me rounds/matches but I looked back at the matches and it seems it was they just didn't come out online. I'll take that. As long as my muscle memory is right, I'm good.

Johnny Cage (10-0, L)

This match just left me completely frustrated. I play this player a lot and he always dominates me. Whats frustrating is that I know certain moves should be beaten but online he always beats me because I have to be frame perfect it seems to be able to punish or at least let me poke out of it. Nope. Its block a string and get rewarded with a d4. I have to look at the matches later and see what I'm doing wrong because it has to be me, not Jacqui. I feel I'm doing the right thing but never against him. Oh well...

Random thought: I think I'm done with attending offline events for awhile. Why travel a hour away, get beat up and walk away like I haven't learned anything? I can get beat up all night online and save a tank of gas, right? I can learn the tactics of characters, input them in training mode and at least know how to punish/deal with the most common schemes. I was a better player when I constantly played online. Now that I know how offline players think, I know what "bad habits" to avoid. Going to try this out for KIT.

JerzeyReign

Demoralized

Been a rough two weeks since my last entry and I feel I'm still in the same spot: confused as all hell. Good thing to take from these L's is that I don't think I hit a wall but just making the smallest of the smallest improvements that I feel stuck. Despite knowing that, it doesn't help with my confidence at all. I played someone I know just picked up Jacqui, a character I've been grinding for months, and beat me relentlessly with it. I couldn't even sit through my normal 30+ ass whoopings. I was mentally defeated. This happened yesterday and I have yet to even look at my PS4 since then. I've been turning on Street Fighter more lately because I seem to understand the fundamentals. I suck more in that game than I do in MK (which is strange because I was pretty damn good in SF growing up) but the tutorials and actually seeing fundamentals "working" in that game is drawing me in.

Personal goal: Find out what NRS fundamentals are and practice them to the high heavens.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
To get to @Big D 's without a ride I have to:

- Walk 1.1 miles to bus stop
- Bus (1 hour) to Metrorail train through Miami
- Metrorail (train for 1hour15min) to connect to Tri Rail train that travels throigh 3 counties.
- TriRail (train for 1hour45min) to get to Big Ds stop.

Just to get there. Florida isnt Texas, but its still huge. We also have Conflict90 driving down at times 5 hours plus to PRACTICE.

Make the most of your travel. Recognize exactly whats going wrong. Pause the game mid match and ask questions. Notice tendencies. Have one idea/focus you want to improve on each trip. Absorb as much as you can watching tournies/other streams.

The great thing about the FGC, is that the feeling of being accomplished (lack of a better word, but I hope you follow) is EARNED and you'll feel it, once you know you're getting there - wherever that is personally for you.

Dont give up. Its defonitely feasible, for anyone. It takes time. Also, someone may look to you one day unknowingly as someone inspiring their entry into our world, as I've learned. That feeling, is unexplainable.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I don't know much about Jacqui but I know reptile has mean mix ups and he's not someone you want to let get close , don't try walking back rep has to many fast advancing moves he will catch you , I never like to say this but u should try jumping to create space , backdashes at the least. You want to stay out of range of his overheads so that you can just worry about the lows.i had a crash course in good reptile the other day when Cossner slaughtered me

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Personal Training Goal: Figure out what the fxck to do against this:

Post the link plz. Plug in is not supported on mobile. :(

Also, shout out to you. This is a great idea. And your dedication, driving like 100 miles a week round trip to play offline? That's dedication.

Keep at it, bro.

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
You won`t become good in 2 weeks, imao. Just proceed with your trainings and try to get as much info as u can from your fights. After few months you`ll see changes but until then just don`t get too much attention about your level, just play. And btw, your execution needs to be on point, so try to sit in training mode more to perfect your combos, not only the combos itself but all possible punishes and situational combos such as air juggle conversion, air to airs etc.

JerzeyReign

You won`t become good in 2 weeks, imao. Just proceed with your trainings and try to get as much info as u can from your fights. After few months you`ll see changes but until then just don`t get too much attention about your level, just play. And btw, your execution needs to be on point, so try to sit in training mode more to perfect your combos, not only the combos itself but all possible punishes and situational combos such as air juggle conversion, air to airs etc.
I've been playing this game since it dropped. This isn't a "I'm not good in two weeks let me come on TYM and bitch" thread. Its a "let me write an online journal and look back at it in the future" type of deal.

Thanks for the tips even though I know of what you mentioned already. Always good to hear the same things over and over because they must be true.

JerzeyReign

Locked Into Training Mode

Still locked into training mode as I went back to Mileena. Only issue is that I have to relearn her since I moved to an arcade stick recently. Has been fun to go back to my favorite character - win or lose. Haven't played many people since locking myself in as I'm trying to learn this game correctly. After watching numerous streams of high level play, I'm content that this approach is well worth it. Strengthening my fundamentals is my biggest goal. Surprisingly, Street Fighter, using Ryu, has become my best teacher.

Current goal: Learn all of the S tier MUs vs my Ethereal Mileena.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
To get to @Big D 's without a ride I have to:

- Walk 1.1 miles to bus stop
- Bus (1 hour) to Metrorail train through Miami
- Metrorail (train for 1hour15min) to connect to Tri Rail train that travels throigh 3 counties.
- TriRail (train for 1hour45min) to get to Big Ds stop.

Just to get there.
Holy shit just ask me for a ride next time.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I've been playing this game since it dropped. This isn't a "I'm not good in two weeks let me come on TYM and bitch" thread. Its a "let me write an online journal and look back at it in the future" type of deal.

Thanks for the tips even though I know of what you mentioned already. Always good to hear the same things over and over because they must be true.
Playing the game since it dropped is still not a very long time. The vast majority of high level players in this game go back at least as far as Injustice. One thing I have learned since joining the NRS community is that picking up your first ever fighting game is a bitch.

While you were learning how to combo for the very first time? They were already figuring out ways to break the game. It takes a lot of time just to achieve adequacy with regard to basic execution requirements and to build up the muscle memory necessary to even attempt the game on a competitive level, much less beginning to process the game on a deeper level such that you are thinking of the game on the same terms as them.

Basically, it is a really long process. It's OK, nobody expects you to be the boss of your local scene and finish top 8 in major tournaments six months in to your fighting game career. Just stick with it, you are getting better whether you feel as though you are or not. The players you are up against are justifiably way better than you, but the secret is that is is much easier to close the skill gap than to expand it. You will catch up in time, just be patient and keep leveling up. You seem to have the proper mindset/mental makeup for this sort of thing, as you are clearly thinking of how to get better on an analyitical level, and the fact that you created this thread and kept notes on your opponents and progress shows that you are willing to put in the proper work.

Just chill. You will get there. Getting good at things is really hard.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
It sounds to me like you have the drive. Which is huge. I lost mine several months ago. I too am military and currently live in Germany (which I F'ing love). Yes there are people here that play, but most are at least 4 hours or more away without traffic, or in other country's. On-line really put a bad taste in my mouth. So bad I pretty much slowly quite playing. But you have access to a local that isn't too bad to get to and that is bigger than most can know. I think nothing levels you up like playing offline against good players. It's no coincidence that most of our community's top players play and practice in this fashion. Keep grinding it out! Hope the work pays off.

*Mods if this is something not acceptable on your forum, my apologies. Just thought it would be something fun to look back on if I ever level up*

What is this?: A personal (very public) blog of my journey to level up. I'll post my ups and downs throughout my journey to level up. This isn't a "cry for help", just a place to put my thoughts. If you have advice on anything I post, feel free to post. If you have the urge to just troll, feel free to PM me. I'll post videos of matches and give my thoughts on them - again, you don't have to post, its just something I can look back on.

Background: I'm a 30 year old, married father of twin girls. I'm currently in the military stationed in Texas. I'm not a late blooming casual gamer, I'm a "most of my free time gaming gamer" so to speak. I never was the one for me vs CPU games (except for back in the day games like Mario, Command and Conquer, etc...) so the competition side of me always burned. The games I was most interested in were Call of Duty, Madden, NCAA Football and NBA 2K. I've probably taken thousands of dollars from money matches in Madden and in NBA 2K I loved teaching people the game which led to me creating a youtube channel. In COD, before it became this big eSport, I'd put my clan [)!3 up against anyone, we were pretty damn good.

But enough of the other games, what about Mortal Kombat? My love, a very casual elementary school love, for fighting games began in the 90s. I was pretty good for a kid but I played causally against family and friends. I had a moment in my preteen years where I'd sit at the arcade and take quarters but it never developed past that (though my game of choice back then was Street Fighter). Over the years I'd buy it but only play it casually until the next big game dropped (normally a sports game) before dropping it again. Back in 2011 I bought the game to look into getting competitive again but due to me being stationed in Germany, I couldn't find many others who played. With it dropping in 2015, as well as me being back in the States, I decided to give it a try. The moment the game was put in my console I fell in love. Over the last 7 months it has barely left my console. I started playing online and though I found great success, I wanted more. With my need to learn more, I somehow found TYM as I was searching out Mortal Kombat tournaments.

My first offline tournament, I got mopped. I beat the first opponent pretty handily but was mopped by two good players, one being one of the top cats in Austin. The way I lost, one would think I'd move on to the games I was better at but I was hooked. My new goal was to make them remember my name. I didn't care about winning the tournament money, I wanted respect. I used to get that respect while playing Texas Hold 'Em in Fort Lewis. When I walked into a tournament or sat down at the table, people knew who I was. When I played Madden, dudes were happy when they kept it close or they scored a touchdown. They knew my name. I want that feeling for Mortal Kombat. Sounds cliche but its the truth.

Once I found the group in Austin for offline tournaments, I was one of the most consistent ones to attend despite living one hour away. I am fully committed. I even bought an ASUS monitor so I wouldnt have to wast casual time getting my timing down with a different monitor. I traveled to Absolute Battle 6 (losing to CDjr and Henzzar, a top guy from Austin - yes, the same one I lost to in my first ever offline with MKX). I attended a couple of smaller local tournaments and did well but not to the standard I set for myself. I'm currently still being slaughtered in Austin as I prepare to "practice" for KIT - pretty much a free donation as I will be humiliated in pools more than likely. With 10K on the line I'm sure the best of the best will travel which doesn't bode well for a guy at my current skill level. Playing someone better only helps if you know what they're doing and being at a tournament isn't an automatic level up as most guys aren't going to tell you how to beat them.

Anyway, going to wrap this first post up, this is where I'm at currently. Getting mopped. Hopefully one day I can look back at this and smile once guys "remember my name" haha. I have to finish Breaking Bad one of these days.

I hope some of you guys take the time and read my thoughts, if not, I will haha.
Did you go to lone star battleground?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Do you play online? Do you have Skype? Would u be willing to use a character not named jaqui?

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Good luck man, stay hungry! If you want some matchup exp, my psn is Gito666. I play hellfire and ninjutsu (seriously, not like a scrub), venomous, and full auto.

Skedar70

Noob
Wow, I feel kind of lucky. My offline training partners live at 5 min walking distance. Unfortunately they don't own the game so they are not that good(still pretty decent and passionate though). Mmm you should identify what you are getting hit with go to the lab and learn how to block it and the frame data to see what you can do afterwards. Part of learning the matchup is getting hit and frustrated it happens to all of us.