What's new

df2 ring would solve a lot of problems.

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
hey folks, I'd first like to say I've been practically maining Sonya for about a month now and I'll say as a result I've had the most fun I've had in this game. There is a very high skill ceiling for the char and very intensive combos that are difficult to pull off, esp online. The main reson for this is that the dreaded ring whiff is always a possibility in more than one BnB mixup.

A df2 ring would ease negative edge whiffs on the following:

d1/d4->db2->f1->df3 is an essential to low pressure and will ring whiff quite easily due to the speed needed to input.

A blocked 114 into db2f1 will whiff into a ring, giving you neutral frames, but still annoying and doesn't get you anywhere.

Anyone who throws mess hall in the middle of thier BnB doesn't need me to tell you what a pain it is.

Now, negative edge certainly has a purpose, it helps newer or less dexterous folks input their combos a little easier, and it even helps me out with a low poke into MS.. I, however am not familiar with any widely accepted BnB that ends in a ring. Usually when you see a ring ending a combo it's a sign of that Sonya player having an aneurysm on his end.

Thoughts? Comments? Witty retorts?

BF2 isn't really her worst negative edge issue, if you can learn to buffer the dash better and be more patient its not going to be much of an issue during messhall.
imo, its db1 and db4 that make it an issue. The reason is eventually you'll have to start canceling pokes to military stance after dashing in. look at her two best pokes

d1

d4

I think they do it on purpose. I think Netherrealm has done this to DISCOURAGE mashing. You have to be precise.

mk no longer buffers a held input after you repeat the input it seems. You can't dash in to a d4, hold down, hit 4 then back 2 (two pokes, second canceled to stance). you have to let off the down, hit down again in order to get the poke to military stance, unlike most situations in the game. Again this seems on purpose so you don't get even more unintended specials or end up mashing.

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
I can accept the fact that mess hall can be easily whiffed, but the down pokes into an MS need to be input FAST else risk eating damage in MS, but TOO fast and d4db2f1 will negative edge into a low poke projectile. This timing is practically impossible to refine, esp online.

I can accept the fact that mess hall can be easily whiffed, but the down pokes into an MS need to be input FAST else risk eating damage in MS, but TOO fast and d4db2f1 will negative edge into a low poke projectile. This timing is practically impossible to refine, esp online.
tbh you shouldn't play sonya online much if you plan on using her offline, the feel of her combos and cancels just change so drastically even with tiny lag.

i've never had the poke come out as a projectile though, i think your issue there is just pressing f1 too fast

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
tbh you shouldn't play sonya online much if you plan on using her offline, the feel of her combos and cancels just change so drastically even with tiny lag.

i've never had the poke come out as a projectile though, i think your issue there is just pressing f1 too fast
Im over 150 miles away from the nearest tournament scene : /

TrembleGoose

Aww, damn!!
I love the fact that she has no special with the DF2 notation. Makes cancelling into cartwheel a breeze(shoutouts to a pointlessly large negative edge window).

The only times I get rings whilst doing dash~b21f2 is always because I pressed 1~f2 and it somehow gives me rings. The string from my experience(only been playing her for a few days now, but I get her bnbs with about 90% consistency offline) has some leeway about the time to press f2 due to the animation of the b21, so just slowing the input down should do the trick.

Hell, as far as MS cancelling goes, I dont have much problems with that either. Out of d1/d4/21/b21/etc., I hardly ever get a random kiss/arckick to come out. I've been messing around with Rain as well, and RH cancelling seems to be a lot harder to me. String into RH stance mixups=random Geyser kick for me lol.

It just seems through my personal experience in training/offline matches so far that negative edge really isnt an issue with Sonya.