What's new

Tech - Demolition Demolition Sonya Grenade Bouncing Stages

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I was curious about what stages have corners where Sonya's grenades can bounce off of considering it can be used for some advanced tech as well as higher damage in the corner off DD1 EX. I couldn't find this information on the forums, so I checked it all myself. If it is already on the forums and I looked past it, feel free to berate me about it being known since day 1 and have a mod close this thread.

Below is a list compiled of every stage in the game and which sides grenades bounce off of. This is both useful for a Sonya demo player to know, as it can change their combos and useful for a lurker to know to counterpick the map.

Places where Demo Sonya’s grenades bounce:
Emperor’s Courtyard: Left (spacing dependent, close is better), Right (spacing dependent, far away is better)
Krossroads: Neither
Jinsei Chamber: *Right
Kuatan Jungle: Right (spacing dependent)
Destroyed City: **Right
Outworld Marketplace: Neither
The Kove: *Left
Refugee Camp: *Both
Quan Chi’s Fortress: **Right (spacing dependent, far away is better)
Dead Woods: Neither
Sky Temple: **Right
Lin Kuei Temple: *Left
Training Room: Neither (if base). Otherwise depends on stage.

* = Grenades Bounce
** = Grenades Get "Trapped"

Best stage for grenade bouncing tech: Refugee Camp.
Worst stages for grenade bouncing tech: Krossroads, Outworld Marketplace and Dead Woods

Last edited:

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I was curious about what stages have corners where Sonya's grenades can bounce off of considering it can be used for some advanced tech as well as higher damage in the corner off DD1 EX. I couldn't find this information on the forums, so I checked it all myself. If it is already on the forums and I looked past it, feel free to berate me about it being known since day 1 and have a mod close this thread.

Below is a list compiled of every stage in the game and which sides grenades bounce off of. This is both useful for a Sonya demo player to know, as it can change their combos and useful for a lurker to know to counterpick the map.

Emperor’s Courtyard: Left
Jinsei Chamber: Right
Kuatan Jungle: Right
Destroyed City: Right
The Kove: Left
*Refugee Camp: Both
Quan Chi’s Fortress: Right
Sky Temple: Right
Lin Kuei Temple: Left

Worst stage for grenade bouncing tech: Krossroads, Outworld Marketplace and Dead Woods
I like this information a lot.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
But even if they bounce it's not all 3 and it's not consistent. Afaik only refugee kamp right side is fairly consistent with 3 bounces that hit.

Edit; it also depends on the range to the corner.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
But even if they bounce it's not all 3 and it's not consistent. Afaik only refugee kamp right side is fairly consistent with 3 bounces that hit.

Edit; it also depends on the range to the corner.
Lin Kuei, The Kove, and Jinsei Chamber all had 3 bounce back consistently as well. Sky Temple has 3 grenades consistently hit because the bell has a full vertical hitbox that traps the grenade within range. Destroyed City has all 3 hit consistently because the car hitbox traps grenades like Sky Temple within range of characters. Perhaps I'll put stars next to them to show that they do that? Valuable information I suppose. Please don't just overlook this and write it off, its valuable if one of these stages gets randomly selected by an opponent when you can't get Refugee Camp.

krossroads do come back it did in my esl match with scar
I tested this and your eyes deceived you, I assure you. On the left side of Krossroads the third grenade can get stuck if done at a perfect spot, but it would hit anyways at that spacing. They do not bounce on either side of the map.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
Lin Kuei, The Kove, and Jinsei Chamber all had 3 bounce back consistently as well. Sky Temple has 3 grenades consistently hit because the bell has a full vertical hitbox that traps the grenade within range. Destroyed City has all 3 hit consistently because the car hitbox traps grenades like Sky Temple within range of characters. Perhaps I'll put stars next to them to show that they do that? Valuable information I suppose. Please don't just overlook this and write it off, its valuable if one of these stages gets randomly selected by an opponent when you can't get Refugee Camp.

I tested this and your eyes deceived you, I assure you. On the left side of Krossroads the third grenade can get stuck if done at a perfect spot, but it would hit anyways at that spacing. They do not bounce on either side of the map.
When I get home I'll gif you how to make all 3 hit, then also how to make the last 1 or 2 whiff on those maps you just mentioned. I do not write this off, it is good information but it's not consistent.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
This is actually awesome info. I personally feel like jinsei is the best stage for demo, but i dont have vast experience. I took demo for my first test drive and i didnt do so well, not really sure on how to play her neutral yet. Starting to understand it a bit more, but got a ways to go

Jungle is strange. On the right side, normal grenades disappear. But if you throw a full screen nade, it bounces off of the tree offscreen and then bounces back on screen. Im sure there are other like that but i havent explored it

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P

Emperor’s Courtyard: Left (spacing dependent, close is better), Right (spacing dependent, far away is better)
Jinsei Chamber: *Right
Kuatan Jungle: Right (spacing dependent)
Destroyed City: **Right
The Kove: *Left
Refugee Camp: *Both
Quan Chi’s Fortress: **Right (spacing dependent, far away is better)
Sky Temple: **Right
Lin Kuei Temple: *Left

* = Grenades Bounce
** = Grenades Get "Trapped"

Worst stages for grenade bouncing tech: Krossroads, Outworld Marketplace and Dead Woods
IIRC, I actually posted this in the GD and I think demo thread months ago.....But I won't berate you since it's a honest mistake :D

skater11

The saltiest
krossroads do come back it did in my esl match with scar
I think this thread is referring to grenades done at POINT BLANK. A well spaced, like say d3 range is almost enough for grenades to connect on every single character. So if scar is doing something like max range standing 4 into ex grenades, they are obviously gonna hit.