What's new

Match-up Discussion Deg's Zatanna MU Chart

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
Really surprised by the even matchup with Lex. She zones the living shit out of him. If you non stop ring toss, Lex cant deploy probes, mines or air strikes. Not to mention getting armor up and keeping it up is impossible.

When I play this matchup I generally lose a bit more than I win. I would think it's a clear 6-4 for Zatanna. Would love to hear why you think it's even.
If that's all Zatanna is doing, he'll force a trade with his df1 shot (which of course you can interrupt with puppet master). The main thing here is whoever starts their game has the advantage. If he scores a knockdown and starts his traps, you really have no room to zone at all. And if you pull out trait, he has to deal with it for the full duration. And Zatanna can't really deal with his armor like you'd think. If you try doing MB multikick, he can standing 1 through it (absorbs a kick and hits you before the next kick comes out). I've played this MU a lot with @rev0lver and neither character overwhelms the other IMO.

Interested in your reasonings for the WoWo number. I've played a few of then including foxy and always felt it was even.
If she parries anything, you can't zone for the next few seconds because of the threat of a demi goddess. And if Zatanna tries getting trait out, WoWo can just jump and force you to block an air tiara. It's not like WoWo completely shuts down her zoning, but between b2s and parries, Zatanna can't play her game 100%.

I know the matchup very well. It's in zat's favor against lobo. Lobo has no oki on knockdown, and he also can't get many punishes against her zoning. I think it's 6:4 zat. She's just as annoying as Shazam on wake-up but she can zone way better than him
It seems to me that without Zat's trait, Lobo can easily overwhelm her. Anytime Lobo blocks a normal ring toss, he gets a forward dash for free and his dash covers stupid amounts of ground. I just feel it's 5-5 because if Lobo can get his game going from the start, it becomes difficult for Zatanna to get her trait out where she can overwhelm him. And yeah Lobo's oki game changes completely because you have to start guessing where she's going to teleport to, but if you guess right you're rewarded greatly.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If that's all Zatanna is doing, he'll force a trade with his df1 shot (which of course you can interrupt with puppet master). The main thing here is whoever starts their game has the advantage. If he scores a knockdown and starts his traps, you really have no room to zone at all. And if you pull out trait, he has to deal with it for the full duration. And Zatanna can't really deal with his armor like you'd think. If you try doing MB multikick, he can standing 1 through it (absorbs a kick and hits you before the next kick comes out). I've played this MU a lot with @rev0lver and neither character overwhelms the other IMO.

If she parries anything, you can't zone for the next few seconds because of the threat of a demi goddess. And if Zatanna tries getting trait out, WoWo can just jump and force you to block an air tiara. It's not like WoWo completely shuts down her zoning, but between b2s and parries, Zatanna can't play her game 100%.

It seems to me that without Zat's trait, Lobo can easily overwhelm her. Anytime Lobo blocks a normal ring toss, he gets a forward dash for free and his dash covers stupid amounts of ground. I just feel it's 5-5 because if Lobo can get his game going from the start, it becomes difficult for Zatanna to get her trait out where she can overwhelm him. And yeah Lobo's oki game changes completely because you have to start guessing where she's going to teleport to, but if you guess right you're rewarded greatly.
So since WW can outfootsie Z and parry her rings so we have to respect the AI demigoddess, how exactly do you play this matchup? Rushdown? I know Zatanna's b1 goes under her lasso spin on wakeup for a full combo punish.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I completely agree. I've played it a bit with @GuamoKun too. The best thing about the matchup is that Lex's trait lets me deal with hers really well when I would otherwise kinda get fucked by it (no chip damage and can get in and bully you even if you use your lightning cage thing). I have to be patient while you're zoning but as soon as I make a right read and get an opening I'm good.

deg222

So since WW can outfootsie Z and parry her rings so we have to respect the AI demigoddess, how exactly do you play this matchup? Rushdown? I know Zatanna's b1 goes under her lasso spin on wakeup for a full combo punish.
Basically teleport more than I would zone. Then you just gotta watch out as you're getting cornered and have a plan to MB teleport out of the corner.

I believe Batgirl is 5-5. I agree on the Superman MU, if he pressures you with F23, you can teleport away/behind as reversal and it won't hit. And Zatanna can absorb Heat Zap, Breath, Lasers (Both Air and Ground) as well as B1 with trait.

Last edited:

KHAOTIC_BLAZE

Kickass squad aka razorblazemcg
I'm going to debate this anyway IDGAF explain why Doomsday beats her 6 4? Zantana has tools make make him extremely fustrated by her telehports , that trait of hers can stop him in his tracks.and she can neutralize his trait with those multiple kicks.Explain your side?

deg222

I'm going to debate this anyway IDGAF explain why Doomsday beats her 6 4? Zantana has tools make make him extremely fustrated by her telehports , that trait of hers can stop him in his tracks.and she can neutralize his trait with those multiple kicks.Explain your side?
Her teleports? They're irrelevant in the MU. He catches backward teleports with MB venom, and it doesn't even have to be on a read. He can just throw it out there at no cost. Then you might think, well why not teleport behind him. As long as he presses the MB button quick enough, his MB venom still goes unpunished.

She doesn't neutralize his trait with MB multi kick, she simply slows it down. You should be spamming d1 to stop trait anyways if he's dumb enough to dash in your face.

The only thing preventing this MU from becoming a 7-3 is her trait. He definitely does have to respect it, but then comes the question.... when do you pull out trait? The best time for Zatanna to pull out trait is when they're fullscreen.... but he's always in your face.

So then you look at Zatanna's footsies, her standing 3 is a great normal but not against DD. DD's d1 out prioritizes her s3, comes out 6 frames faster, and recovers faster. The only redeeming thing Zatanna has against DD up close is that she f3 under any jump ins... in which most cases he can land and block in time.

I play both against Noobe and Whiteboi and the bottom line is, DD gets to do what he wants the entire time and you're going to get overwhelmed.