What's new

Defense vs HP

Okay so after putting several hours into Injustice 2, and grinding for some cool gear, I am starting to like playing with the stat boosts for casual matches, but my biggest question is what is the point of having hp and defense? I know hp is total health pool, and defence is damage taken, but is there any point to have more defence than hp or more hp than defence? I also realize that hp is weighed more heavily, but still I don't see any reason to have a character with a ton hp vs a ton of defense? Is there really any difference?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
This is probably not the forum to post something like this.

This website is more for competitive players.

Oh shit my bad, I didn't see a sign anywhere that said "competitive players only", I must have missed it. But anyways, like a lot of people I don't play injustice strictly competitively, or strictly casually. And also hp and defense are still stats that every base character has, comp mode or not. So it still brings up the discussion of whether or not the it matters if a character has a lot of hp vs a lot of health.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Oh shit my bad, I didn't see a sign anywhere that said "competitive players only", I must have missed it. But anyways, like a lot of people I don't play injustice strictly competitively, or strictly casually. And also hp and defense are still stats that every base character has, comp mode or not. So it still brings up the discussion of whether or not the it matters if a character has a lot of hp vs a lot of health.
I never said it was for competitive players only, I was merely suggesting the mannerism of the forum.

Anyways, I'm not really one for derailing threads. Discuss away!

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
The less defense you have the more damage you take from someone with high offense which i agree does kind of make the HP stat a little redundant. I guess it's just another way to make your character tank a bit more? My guess is that it helps balance against multiverse bosses who have high beefed up stats all around.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen on this forum. How dare the guy ask something about Injustice on an Injustice forum!!! Perhaps he should go to the World of Warcraft forum instead.

Dax... There is usually someone nice on here that is willing to help people out no matter what the question (well... ALMOST any question :p ) so post away! We are all here to learn, discuss and level up.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
The less defense you have the more damage you take from someone with high offense which i agree does kind of make the HP stat a little redundant. I guess it's just another way to make your character tank a bit more? My guess is that it helps balance against multiverse bosses who have high beefed up stats all around.
Honestly the best answer.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
If anyone would know the difference between defense and health I think it would be @EGP Wonder_Chef .
I have no idea and I've been wondering if one helps more with chip or something else like the amount of hits in a kombo... And I'm only really thinking about kompetitive mode since it affects that too.

Lokheit

Noob
This is the damage formula:

(Move Damage (from move list) × 10 × Offensive Atribute (str or abl))/Opponent Defense

***After the first hit in any combo damage scaling also modifies following damage but that's a different formula and this still applies.

Defense is a direct divisor of damage so every character has what I call a "vitality" hidden atribute which is Defense×HP and represents the real health pool if there wasn't a defensive stat.

This means HP and Def are equal on terms of surviving and the best distribution would be an even one (1500*1500 is better than 2000*1000).

Fun fact: the characters with the higher natural defense (Superman and company) are the easier to kill because of their bigger difference between both atributes.

Also note that defensive atributes are better optimized than offensive ones as they work in combination while offensive atributes are split.

I don't really like how they made the stat system because some parts look like they were rushed. For example having a higher Str atribute means nothing in competitive (a base character damage is going to be balanced with the base move's numbers and 2 characters overal damage can be different with the same atributes) but with gear it means that +Str will do less for your damage% as +30 adds less percentage to 1500 than to 1000, so characters with lower Str benefit more from Str gear than characters with high Str (which works on the opposite direction of how Str is higher in characters relying in normals and Abl is higher in characters relying in specials and zoning).

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
This is the damage formula:

(Move Damage (from move list) × 10 × Offensive Atribute (str or abl))/Opponent Defense

***After the first hit in any combo damage scaling also modifies following damage but that's a different formula and this still applies.

Defense is a direct divisor of damage so every character has what I call a "vitality" hidden atribute which is Defense×HP and represents the real health pool if there wasn't a defensive stat.

This means HP and Def are equal on terms of surviving and the best distribution would be an even one (1500*1500 is better than 2000*1000).

Fun fact: the characters with the higher natural defense (Superman and company) are the easier to kill because of their bigger difference between both atributes.

Also note that defensive atributes are better optimized than offensive ones as they work in combination while offensive atributes are split.

I don't really like how they made the stat system because some parts look like they were rushed. For example having a higher Str atribute means nothing in competitive (a base character damage is going to be balanced with the base move's numbers and 2 characters overal damage can be different with the same atributes) but with gear it means that +Str will do less for your damage% as +30 adds less percentage to 1500 than to 1000, so characters with lower Str benefit more from Str gear than characters with high Str (which works on the opposite direction of how Str is higher in characters relying in normals and Abl is higher in characters relying in specials and zoning).
really good explanation and i agree with you about stats being poor like that. They kinda probly should have made everyone have 1000 str.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
It's worth mentioning the Defense is better than HP if you're going to abuse healing moves. Defense will make the health gained from healing go further. Health will cause the healing to matter less because it will heal less of your effective HP back. I haven't thought to test if ability affects healing amount but I assume it does, which means a high ability and defense Dr. Fate would probably be able to abuse healing ankhs quite well. This would be especially useful in survivor.