What's new

Deciding between mains

Biologic

Noob
Well, although I have never fought you or seen you play, I think I can give a bit of a good answer.

You want to choose one or two of those characters to drop and find somebody who accommodates for their bad match-ups, particularly the zoners. Am I right? Well, let's take a look at some options.

Raiden - he controls the game pretty well as long as he has the life-lead. He can't be zoned or rushed, and every time you make an impatient move, he can capitalize upon it. Also can't be cornered unless you become predictable with your escape routes. Of course, you have to play Raiden with kind of a complicated mindset, but I assure you that it pays off.

Smoke - with the threat of his Smoke Bomb and Shake, attempting to trade projectiles with him becomes useless. He can move around the screen with ease and punish heavily with the use of his EX Smoke Bomb resets. If ever you take the offense, you want to go for as many throws as possible, same with Raiden.

And possibly a third recommendation...

Rain - I have started playing this character a lot lately and I find he complements me well since I am a Sonya player due to the use of his Super Kick cancels. His high damage and armor make it so his match-ups are perfectly balanced...no good match-ups, but no or very few bad match-ups either. He can't really zone, I will admit, but he can be very mobile and dominant with his pressure.

As far as Kabal goes, I would definitely hold on to Jax. I can't say I know Jax like an expert, but apparently he kills Kabal. Then again, even when I'm Sonya, I don't really have trouble handling Kabal...yes, I know it's odd, I can't really explain it.

I hope this post helps.
Yeah you got it exactly, I don't want to keep 3 rush down characters that can't really cover each other's bad match ups. Who would you recommend between Raiden and Smoke? I'm sort of leaning towards raiden a bit more right now but I've seen smoke do work. Kabal I'm not sure to yet, I'm hopefully going to play Hazezie soon so I'll get some insight on it then. After playing Spiffy I'm considering dropping Sonya more than Jax now... I can't do shit with Sonya online and don't have enough people to play with offline so it's tough to really play her the same offline and on. :(

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Yeah you got it exactly, I don't want to keep 3 rush down characters that can't really cover each other's bad match ups. Who would you recommend between Raiden and Smoke? I'm sort of leaning towards raiden a bit more right now but I've seen smoke do work. Kabal I'm not sure to yet, I'm hopefully going to play Hazezie soon so I'll get some insight on it then. After playing Spiffy I'm considering dropping Sonya more than Jax now... I can't do shit with Sonya online and don't have enough people to play with offline so it's tough to really play her the same offline and on. :(
In my opinion, you'd be a fool to drop Sonya.

Honestly, you could just keep Jax and Johnny Cage as pocket characters if you intend to not main them. The more resources, the better.

Between Raiden and Smoke...it depends on who fits your playstyle better, but I would go with Raiden for sure.

Biologic

Noob
I'll keep all of them but I've got to start playing ONE of them considerably less for the other two, I now have 3 characters to mess around with when I'm free: Raiden, Freddy(Who I'm VERY impressed by), and Kitana(Probably not going with her since I can't Insta-airfan worth a damn) I may make Jax my strict Kabal killer and try to main Sonya and Johnny more.

I also know Sonya is amazing, I just feel like I'm missing something or doing something wrong with her. Maybe I need to be more patient, I don't know, her lack of strings messes with me a bit. I think I can get her to work though. Thanks for your input.