What's new

Match-up Discussion Deathstroke vs Raven: Discussion

Vagrant

Noob
I've run this multiple times at GGA with GGA pimpimjim and It's probably one of the matchups that concerns me the most with Deathstroke. That being said it's a very interesting matchup and alot of fun to play.

Up close I think they go even. Both have scary mixup games that lead to significant damage (raven has the damage advantage here) Mainly I block low against her and if I see her overhead i can usually react to it in time.

The zoning game they play is whats interesting about this matchup. DS can lowshot under her projectile, Raven gets big damage off of her EX lift and EX crush. If she reads gunshot she can absorb and ex "lolzparryfireball" back at him. He can sit full screen and shoot at her and her lift and crush are out of range. Until she traits.

This is when this bitch is scary to me. The crazy pink pillars that come out of the ground and the full screen range of her crush are threats that must be respected. But the real mind fuck is the threat of her teleport. If she teleports left or right I can buffer spin or flip and it will OS depending on what side of me she is on. While this is easy to do against an obviously read teleport, it's not so easy when mixed up with her pillar thingys and her crush. If you don't react to her teleport in time guess what? Either she hit you and your being combo'd, or she's in and you better defend her mixups correctly. Making the correct reads here I think is the deciding factor in who wins.

The Raven I train against is by no means a slouch. He just got second at Toryuken so my competetion is more than credible to draw matchup observations from.

What are YOUR observations in this matchup and how do you like to go about playing it? I'm not asking for MU numbers. It's way too early for that. Just your thoughts.

EDIT: THIS POST WAS MADE PRE PATCH 1.03, THIS AFFECTS THE ZONING WAR BETWEEN THESE TWO SIGNIFICANTLY AND NEEDS TO BE UPDATED. I WILL UPDATE AFTER UFGT.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I personally dont feel I have enough experience with this matchup to input a substantial amount of helpful information, but I hate to see this topic go to waste. I DO know however that every blocked force grab from Raven = a reversal quick fire. MB that and she'll have to start thinking about how she throws those out.

Against the teleport, pressing 1 might handle both air and ground teleports. 1, 323, F23 xx Flip if you tag her in the air with 1. 132, Ji2, 323, F23 xx Flip if she was grounded.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I play against a near top level Raven as well (Made top 32 at ECT, STB Reggin.) And I feel that it's still even, it's really all based on who has more momentum in this match up.

At this point, it's really clear you should only use LGS to punish her projectile on reaction, no other point to use it. You can punish her air trait and her ground trait activation with quick fire and AGS respectively.

I like doing jump back 3 if I feel she's going to teleport, but that's kinda a bad option if she knows you're going to do it, since those pillars can be hit confirmed full screen.

Like @Milkman360 said, MB quick fire on her grabs will what our meter usage will go to, you just have to play this match up cautious, but bull dog the shit out of her when you get the chance, and then keep the lead. She can't really open you up unless she has trait going.

EDIT: Outside of that, I think hoarding meter would be the best bet, but I'm still working on this match-up.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I shall never be recognized as Mikman360. Always the milkman. I better familiarize myself with dairy products.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I could be wrong, and will need to test further, but PPJ was kind enough to play a short set with me today. When he had trait activated and would go for the d,f+1 pillars, I was just running standing guns. It seemed like it was interrupting the startup of pillar every time.

This should be taken with a huge grain of salt, since I'm brand new to the matchup.