What's new

Strategy Deathstroke Patch Discussion

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Ok, so this thread is basically going to be a log of how Deathstroke is going to be affected by each patch. Indirect and direct changes included. Discuss people, discuss.

For now, we deal with the Zod patch coming in early July. Since no direct changes to Deathstroke were made, this is mostly going to be about matchups for now.

Latest patch link: http://www.injustice.com/en/news/injustice-patch-v105-release-notes

Relevant changes:

• Universal improvement to everyone’s Down+Medium attack
Ok, so this is a thing a lotta people are getting excited about. However, I don't think we Deathstroke players should be. I think this could be BAD for Slade. His J3 is such a good move, and with better D2 anti-airs, it's gonna be less usable. On top of that, DS' D2 kinda blows... or at least I never use it. So while certain characters just got their decent D2s turned into awesome anti-air tools, DS might be stuck with a still mediocre one.

Batgirl
  • You now need a bar of Meter to perform the MB version of Bab’s Bola (Back+Forward+1)
Dammit NRS. She needs more nerfs than just this. Still a bad matchup, probably DS' worst IMO. Nothing really changed.

Black Adam
  • The Boot Stomp now has 4 additional recovery frames when blocked by the opponent.
  • Slightly increased Black Adam’s combo damage scaling.
<3 <3 <3

Possibly my favorite change in this patch.

Boot Stomp may be punishable with 132 now for a full combo (maybe). At the very least, we'll be getting free Sword Spins and Flips after blocking one at any height.

This may very well tip the matchup more in our favor. A lot of people claimed that the damage BA put out was the ultimate deciding factor of this matchup. With that getting diminished, this will probably be evening out the matchup overall. Yay for Black Adam nerfs! :D

The Flash
  • The speed of The Flash’s Forward Dash has been increased.
  • Placing The Flash in his Running Man Stance (Down+Down+2) now also sets him to a “ducking” position.
Well fork me. As if the Flash MU wasn't already starting to look bad. Now it's really getting worse. RMS putting Flash into a ducking stance means that Quick Fire will no longer hit him as he charges it. That's pretty bad, because if you whiff it, he'll dash in and hit your face. A faster dash also means less zoning fun. This is bad! It might just be a 4-6 now.

Killer Frost
  • Slightly increased Killer Frost’s damage scaling on combos
  • Freezing Cold (character power) now has 10 additional frames of recovery.
Hmm... I'm on the fence about this one. KF IS losing a few nasty tricks she has, including some braindead resets, and less damage always means easier money, but I'm not sure if what made this matchup bad was changed. Iceberg can still full screen reversal punish Low Shots. This might still be a 4-6.

Nightwing
  • Staff Stance Down+Light is now +3 on block (down from +6).
Well most people were saying it was a bad matchup, even at best. With this, we can retaliate a bit better than before to those annoying Dicks with sticks. Not sure if it will make the matchup better just yet.

Scorpion
  • Shroud of Flames (Character Power)no longer starts it’s cooldown if it gets interrupted before it is activated.
  • Flip Kick (Down + Forward + 2) is now -10 on block (up from -1).
  • Teleport Punch (Down + Back + 3) now has more recovery time when blocked.
  • Slightly adjusted the Teleport Punch (Down+Back+3) speed
  • The Teleport Punch is now a High attack and has slightly more recovery when it misses.
  • Increased Welcome to the Netherrealm (Supermove) damage to 37 (from33.75)
  • Slightly adjusted his Jumping Light and Jumping Hard hit-boxes.
  • The Meter Burn Teleport Punch (Down + Back + 3) on block is now -8 and slightly pushes back farther.
lol

Superman

• Kyrptonian Crush (Supermove) now does 4% less damage.
  • Super Breath (Down+Back+2) now has 0 advantage when the opponent blocks.
Okay, this is pretty good actually. For those of you who weren't comfortable with Jb2 to punish F23 xx Super Breath against Superman, this should make things easier. Reversal Spin is now a get out of jail free card, even in the corner. This should soften the matchup. 4-6 at worst the way I see it.

Thoughts? Comments?

D2 new rule is the best thing to ever happen to this game. now we are not a laughing stock
DS d2 goes pretty low and is pretty fast for a d2. looking at the angle, doing a sword flip aa probably isnt out of the question still

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I think the d2 buffs could potentially work in Slade's favor enough to make him crack the top ten again. If he receives a notable buff to d2, he'll potentially earn a lot more damage off anti-air, and all things considered other characters have better reasons to raw jump on Slade than he does to raw jump on them. It could also potentially lead to more frequent practical setups for trait usage, particularly mixed in with his corner game. Slade can adapt to not being able to raw jump so frequently. Other characters may not have that luxury.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
But what I don't like about DS's D2 is its incredibly lacking hitbox. Since he swings his foot horizontally, he doesn't have a lot of effective range on it. It doesn't cover his head at all. Grundy and Aquaman laugh at his D2. You can jump 5 miles behind them and still get hit by their D2s. DS's D2 combos are really weak too.

D2, F3, 323, F23 xx Flip is something in the high 20s IIRC.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Which is notably better than raw sword flip damage, and carries further. Can't he even get a dash under combo off it? Sword flip will still cover deep jumps anyways.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Which is notably better than raw sword flip damage, and carries further. Can't he even get a dash under combo off it? Sword flip will still cover deep jumps anyways.

That is true. I'm not sure about the crossunder though.

A part of me just thinks that the Flip AA is what makes DS so special. It's one of the best AAs in the game. With D2 shoving it out of the spotlight, what's DS got left on his resume?

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I find flip AA unreliable as it is. It can often trade and if it does he loses the trade, as well as not scoring the good knockdown unless the final hit connects, which it doesn't always do. I wouldn't worry about anything except DS not getting buffs to match the rest of the cast on his d2. We'll see how lucky we get.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
d2 buff is a potential nerf to deathstroke. No more j3 all day. DS himself didn't need a d2 buff so overall it's a nerf for him.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
BA's damage will be getting a maximum of 5% nerf.

Adam has no reason to ever do a normal divekick over EX and he still pisses meter away for free.

I doubt swordspin or flip can punish a -7 divekick with sweep distance pushback.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
BA's damage will be getting a maximum of 5% nerf.

Adam has no reason to ever do a normal divekick over EX and he still pisses meter away for free.

I doubt swordspin or flip can punish a -7 divekick with sweep distance pushback.

Spin can already punish a dive kick. It comes out in 7 frames. With the frame nerfs, the 8 frame startup of Flip and 1 should suffice.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Spin can already punish a dive kick. It comes out in 7 frames. With the frame nerfs, the 8 frame startup of Flip and 1 should suffice.
how can spin punish a -2 divekick when done correctly? it can only punish incorrectly spaced divekicks.

and how will 8f startup punish a -7f divekick?

everyone always assumes that divekick is thrown recklessly.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
At certain heights it's possible. This may be what you're referring to as "incorrectly spaced," but with a hitbox that large, a movement from the opponent can throw the spacing off. More recovery frames means it will be easier to punish with Spin.

Even if it's still not 100% punishable, being less positive is being less positive on block. DS has a multitude of other methods of handling the boot stomps without the block+punish method anyways.

Mind posting the source that says 5% nerf is the max?

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
DS's D2 can be useful depending on where the opponent jumps from seemings how the kick is kinda at an angle.They are buffing D2's but there are alot of characters with D2's with bad hitboxes like BA so I don't think it'll be too bad. Im actually happy about this because I can now utilize his D2 more often in my game like I've always wanted too. Currently I get blown up for trying it:rolleyes:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
My patch summary.

v1.03 - "normalized" (AKA conversion to mid tier).

v1.04 - irrelevant buff.

v1.05 - officially worthless. RIP Deathstroke April, 16th 2013 - July, 2nd 2013.

If D2 becomes reliable its a buff since D2 trait is a better setup than straight Sword Flip mid screen. Right now I'd use it v NW Staff as an antiair.

J3 vs other D2's will probably be matchup specific.

It's all wait and see. If you can't J3 you can always F3 so you aren't losing all your pressure options.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Doesn't DS's S2 have a disjointed hitbox? I don't see the problem here. Also, J3 also has a disjointed hitbox, space it right and we're stil lall good.

We still have YOLO Sword Flip anyways.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Doesn't DS's S2 have a disjointed hitbox? I don't see the problem here. Also, J3 also has a disjointed hitbox, space it right and we're stil lall good.

We still have YOLO Sword Flip anyways.

...his D2 is disjointed? You mean his foot? Is it really?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
My m2dave summary.

v1.03 - "irritating" (AKA no longer helpful, only whines; meanwhile Aris says nothing and just continues winning).

v1.04 - irrelevant deathstroke player.

v1.05 - officially intolerable. RIP m2dave Evo 2012 - July, 2nd 2013.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
My m2dave summary.

v1.03 - "irritating" (AKA no longer helpful, only whines; meanwhile Aris says nothing and just continues winning).

v1.04 - irrelevant deathstroke player.

v1.05 - officially intolerable. RIP m2dave Evo 2012 - July, 2nd 2013.
I really thought he'd have dropped Deathstroke for a better/actual Zoner. Raven or Sinestro are far better at the kind of zoning he likes and the former is hideously underrated. Deathstroke's "draw you in" approach to zoning doesn't seem right for him.