What's new

Strategy - Sub-Zero Dealing with vortex characters

boba_buster

Noob saibot
How do deal with vortex characters ( inferno scorpion) fought a good one last night he kept running his stupid bnb with low demon and spear and after every combo he would end up very close and stuck me in a 50/50 either hitting low and repeating the bnb or an overhead into the bnb. Seemed like 6 matches in a row and I bearly got to do anything!

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Farpafraf basically anwsered your question. All his specials are easily punishble and you should mostly Block low, especialy when fullscreen.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Easier said then done but how do you stop his pressure
He really doesn't have pressure in inferno. You just need to learn how to block his stuff. His only overhead option to combo you off of is f4 which you have to react to and after you block that block low since his options after f4 include low minion/takedown/spear which you should punish. Overhead minion can be done there too, but you should be able to punish that on reaction (or at least poke out of it now) if you see it coming out. If you aren't blocking low first to guard against the minion you are going to get blown up and it will make the character seem a lot better.

Inferno is terrabad now after the nerfs, and is extreeeemely riskly for much less reward than before. So if a Scorpion player picks that against you these days you should be high fiving yourself...

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
We are a vortex character yo

B2, B2, 1, 1, B12 Clone, NjP, FjP, EX-Throw = 35% 1-Bar 50/50 reset
B33~Iceball, JiP, B2, 242, 1, Ex-Throw = 25% 1-Bar 50/50 reset

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
You can use a fuzzy guard in this match up as neither the low nor overhead is hit confirmable. Say the low is 10 frames, and the OH is 20. Block low for an estimated 10 frames and then simply block high for the remainder of time you're in the mixup. Note that if you block the mixup at all, and Scorpion cancels into a special, always try to block low afterwards to avoid the off chance he'll use low demon (much like how SZ can use 12 string to catch a corner freeze on opponents blocking high).

Here's the progression of the meta. You'll be able to punish the spear in either situation unless it's EX, which Scorpion will start using if you're punishing his vortex. Now he can't mindlessly vortex into 50/ 50 unless he has meter (and it damn sure won't hit).

Now he knows we're blocking and he has 3 new options; throw, hit with his faster OH, or stagger his pressure to beat fuzzy guard. 1: throw 2: use the faster OH for a hard knock down 3: stagger low xx spear. Lab some back dash vs. either the teleport/ demon vortex and see what it can beat at this level of the match up.

I've never really been past this level of the MU so I'm not sure what to expect next, but we're left on the defensive with armor, jump outs, and maybe a 11 string to interrupt.

Set yourself up to block the overhead or low that's the fastest on startup, and look for the other to come out. Unless of course you're playing Sonya and both her overhead/low is 12 frames on startup, then a bih just gotta guess

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
It's online. You should already be fully committed to blocking high or low before the announcer says "Fight!". Otherwise it's too late.

Of course it's not like you have good odds of punishing anyway if you do block correctly.

Try jumping around. A lot.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
How do deal with vortex characters ( inferno scorpion) fought a good one last night he kept running his stupid bnb with low demon and spear and after every combo he would end up very close and stuck me in a 50/50 either hitting low and repeating the bnb or an overhead into the bnb. Seemed like 6 matches in a row and I bearly got to do anything!
As previously stated Inferno doesn't have a true repeatable 50/50, you can argue that F2 is un-reactable but it doesn't lead into a combo and solely knocks down. B3 is 11 frame start up low and is the one you should be looking out for most. You should block low after teleport or mid demon. His F4 Overhead, is 25 frame start up and has an obvious animation due to a flaming kick of death. You can react to this.

Tom Brady when playing against me started back dashing. You might be able to use it to avoid stuff every once in a while, but if the opponent catches on they can punish you. A truly good Inferno Scorpion will be prepping to throw you, to make you panic, and not want to block at all after teleport/minion demon.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
It's online. You should already be fully committed to blocking high or low before the announcer says "Fight!". Otherwise it's too late.

Of course it's not like you have good odds of punishing anyway if you do block correctly.

Try jumping around. A lot.
That's terrible advice, absolutely terrible advice even as a troll post. Scorpion gets so much more than Sub-Zero for jumping around like a maniac :p Sub-Zero has him beat on the ground.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Having said that, that surprise standing reset is godlike.

"Okay I'm gonna armor through ice close in wake u-" suddenly b2

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Having said that, that surprise standing reset is godlike.

"Okay I'm gonna armor through ice close in wake u-" suddenly b2
Yeah and considering it costs you like only 2% at the end of a combo, and we build a lot of meter, people should use it more often IMO. I try do one rep of it whenever I have someone in the corner