What's new

Dealing with Tekken mashers

Flagg

Noob
So in every fighting game you can button mash, I just find with Tekken, that you seem to be able to abuse mashing.

Now before any Tekken fan boys get their panties in a twist, im not saying Tekken is a mashing game, im just saying, mashing seems viable in the beginning.

Now I have a niece and nephew that happen to love fighting games. They dont really know what they are doing and will mash till their hearts content or find one normal that seems good. In a game like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, I can beat this with ease as they throw out ridiculous normals from anywhere on the screen while I choose what to do. I played them at Tekken today and I swear, I was just anihilated. I mean yeah, I could back up, hit them with a long range knock down move and then I could spam low kick or low punch and they would whine but walk into my attacks. I dont want to play this way, I want to get good at Tekken.

I guess some frame data for this game would be nice, cause today I would deliberately get cornered and then as they are hammering away, I would block and try and retaliate. I just find there seems to be limited ways to respond? If I throw out a attack after block that doesnt have priority, I'll get blown up by random button mashing combos.

Everyone talks about movement in this game. Are they any essential defensive tips, certain counter moves that I need to learn. Does every character have a good "universal" counter, or are all characters truly unique in what they can and cant do?

Mashing is viable if you don't know string patterns.

Side step.
Whiff punish.
Duck under during strings and punish.
Know how to block devastating strings (which lead into combos)

Generally avoid blocking low too much.
Walk back and wait for them to mash out an attack and punish them.

Flagg

Noob
I guess it's been a long time since ive played a true 3D fighting game.

My diet in the 90's to now consisted mostly of Street Fighter II, Street Fighter III, MK games, and the various Capcom vs games.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Play someone with a parry throw, problem solved.

Or play Jinpachi with his i10 1,2 punisher or Ganryu with his F+1+2 punisher. So fun facing mashers.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Most mashers die to people who space themselves well or just doing fast mids that are decent advantage on hit.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
-13 is room enough
we aren't talking good players.... we are talking mashers...
more than likely you hop kicked their stupid 10 hit combo that they throw out there like its legit.

If I think someone doesn't understand the game... i use my mid that gives me slight advantage... so they think they can hit me and i just keep doing it. I've earned 4 chicken points finally that way... instead of respecting their options.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Hmm lili seems to be a good character to use vs mashers, they don't know how to deal with her flip kick stuff.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
we aren't talking good players.... we are talking mashers...
more than likely you hop kicked their stupid 10 hit combo that they throw out there like its legit.

If I think someone doesn't understand the game... i use my mid that gives me slight advantage... so they think they can hit me and i just keep doing it. I've earned 4 chicken points finally that way... instead of respecting their options.
lol then mash throw WS 4/3 or magic 4, 1 2 etc its punishable. If you get hit by hopkicks youre pressing too many buttons. LOL -13 is -13. noob or pro so I dont know what you mean.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Good players are easy to beat because they don't understand how to get up. Sidestep them constantly and knockdown, then just never let them get back up. If you notice that they like to tag crash the moment it's available, it's very easy to just backdash their incoming player then punish with a full launch. =)