What's new

Dealing with Sektor?

I get destroyed by him all the time when I use Cyrax. With Cyrax, I can't effectively zone sektor. His rockets beat my nets and he laughs at my bombs. I've been caught with TU numerous times throwing bombs and random nets. I've tried teleporting on reaction when he starts zoning with rockets but the teleport is not fast enough to punish him. When I tried this I kept eating mixups and random uppercuts. It's Hard to approach him with that Flame thrower Get the feck off me move. Then when you finally get in wham! You end up full screen again and the rockets come flying. How do you approach this match? I'm pretty sure zoning is out of the question, In my opinion Sektor outzone's Cyrax easily. It may not be a bad matchup but it seems that way to me. I honestly don't have much experience fighting Sektor. Any tips? The only luck I had was baiting flamethrower and TU and punishing. And jumping over the ocasional rockets and comboing.

NariTuba

disMember
I get destroyed by him all the time when I use Cyrax. With Cyrax, I can't effectively zone sektor. His rockets beat my nets and he laughs at my bombs. I've been caught with TU numerous times throwing bombs and random nets. I've tried teleporting on reaction when he starts zoning with rockets but the teleport is not fast enough to punish him. When I tried this I kept eating mixups and random uppercuts. It's Hard to approach him with that Flame thrower Get the feck off me move. Then when you finally get in wham! You end up full screen again and the rockets come flying. How do you approach this match? I'm pretty sure zoning is out of the question, In my opinion Sektor outzone's Cyrax easily. It may not be a bad matchup but it seems that way to me. I honestly don't have much experience fighting Sektor. Any tips? The only luck I had was baiting flamethrower and TU and punishing. And jumping over the ocasional rockets and comboing.
Been recently fighting a good sektor too, these are my thoughts:

You CAN trade nets with missiles, just block dash first to avoid being at full screen range. Your sweet spot is closer than full screen but out of flame thrower range. Be mindful of his up missiles; you can net him on reaction at the appropriate range

This match up is about anticipation. A lot of Sektors abuse their missiles so use your teleport when you anticipate one, cross-over JPS after.

Bait TU by faking a jump and teleporting mid-air. If Sektor abuses his front missiles a lot he will build meter fast. If you can´t find your way in he will have full meter. In this case avoid jump kicks over missiles as he will gladly take the damage and trade you with his X-Ray.

Bait flamethrower by dashing back out of range and net for full combo. You can do this once he thinks you are trying to dash-block your way in.

DUCK! His front missiles can´t touch you if you crouch without blocking. Use this to bait TU or up missile.

On a blocked flamethrower or missile, throw a bomb; use it to make him feel pressure. The far bomb is nice since he can´t back away, prepare your net to trade with another incoming missile or for AA net if he goes on the offensive. If he stops offence, go in!

If you anticipate a flamethrower from mid-to-sweep range, JPS for full combo. An interesting thing is that when you anticipate a flamethrower you can also do a naked jump, land and connect the first hit of a combo without being burned from sweep distance. You must jump on top of him, as much as you can without crossing over. Cyrax´animation will look like its about to cross-over but instead slides back on top of Sektor and lands in front of him. The flame will be on the screen but you will not be touched by its hitbox and you will connect. Not sure if you could connect a JPS using this method, I imagine so, but we are talking about weird hit-box interactions so the JPS animation might botch the slide over. Will check it later.

Above all, anticipate your opponent! Missile happy Sektors have a simple plan that can be unravelled. Stay on the offensive, if they are not an experienced player they will crumble once youve countered their simple plans. Mix all of the above up and don´t repeat yourself or you will pay. Let him make the first move, he wants to... his zoning, although powerfull, is not as hardcore as say Noob, Kabal or Kitana for example. Take your time so you can get a read on your opp, make him feel you have a couple of answers to everything he does. Hope it helps!

Robotic

Gentleman.
I main Sektor and I would happily trade some match experience with you guys :fight:. Anybody on PS3?

Also, NariTuba and TS, your best bet is to knock Sektor down, plain and simple. I have to waste meter for a reliable wake-up if you know what your doing. Try to get a Sektor player to waste meter because, no matter what, beginner Sektor or good Sektor, you WILL have to deal with that meter. Sektor with no Meter=mid tier. Sektor with meter=S-tier. I've yet to have anyone disprove this. Keep in mind a good Sektor player will almost NEVER use his X-ray, unless for obvious circumstances.

Good luck with your leveling up.

Hex

Noob
I was having similar problems earlier today against Sektor with Cyrax. I'm no Cyrax main, but I may be if I keep improving with him.
I'd like to play you, Robotic, and my PSN is Hexcape.

The biggest problems for me were teleporting and trying to immediately jump over him for a jump-punch into a combo. Each time I did it he responded with an Uppercut.

The next biggest problem was getting raped by Teleport Uppercuts. Being new to Cyrax, the majority of my game relies on Nets and Bombs to start combos. Each time I would get combo'd by Teleport Uppercuts.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I was having similar problems earlier today against Sektor with Cyrax. I'm no Cyrax main, but I may be if I keep improving with him.
I'd like to play you, Robotic, and my PSN is Hexcape.

The biggest problems for me were teleporting and trying to immediately jump over him for a jump-punch into a combo. Each time I did it he responded with an Uppercut.

The next biggest problem was getting raped by Teleport Uppercuts. Being new to Cyrax, the majority of my game relies on Nets and Bombs to start combos. Each time I would get combo'd by Teleport Uppercuts.
Hexcape, I'll add you tonight. Looking forward to it.

1. Sektor has one of the fastest uppercuts in the game, it needs to be respected.
2. Because Sektor has the tools to hang with any character in the game, you need to be mindful of the player's playstyle. He can zone, mid range with flame thrower, up missile mind games, and he can mix you up from up close, not to mention the great (and VERY underutlilized) throw he has - he's very adaptable.
3. This may sound stupid, but go into a Sektor match and feel out what style he has for the first round. In the race for meter, people sometimes forget to watch your opponent. If you know your character, you will adjust to an ok Sektor's singular play style. The shit hits the fan when Sektor switches styles up, though.
4. You don't really have to worry about all of the above too much if you knock Sektor down consistently. Make him burn meter on wake up. That MIGHT give you time to set up your nets and bombs.

Listen to me telling you how to kick my ass!

NariTuba

disMember
Also, NariTuba and TS, your best bet is to knock Sektor down, plain and simple. I have to waste meter for a reliable wake-up if you know what your doing.
Great advice! Perhaps you can elaborate from a Sektor point of view what would a strategy for Cyrax be to force your meter wake up. Combination of bombs and 2,2 pressure perhaps?

Sektor with no Meter=mid tier. Sektor with meter=S-tier. I've yet to have anyone disprove this. Keep in mind a good Sektor player will almost NEVER use his X-ray, unless for obvious circumstances.
Good luck with your leveling up.
Sure, good Sektors Ive seen will mostly use the meter for ExTU in order to hit those big combos, for Ex up missile (depending on match up?) wake-up or breakers. The reason I mentioned the X-ray trading hits thing was because Ive encountered many Sektors who are not advanced players and basically rely heavily and almost exclusively on his missiles and TU. I found a lot of them will fill their meter and trade their XRay, since they don´t have the timing down or are simply not aware of Sektors devastating combos.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Great advice! Perhaps you can elaborate from a Sektor point of view what would a strategy for Cyrax be to force your meter wake up. Combination of bombs and 2,2 pressure perhaps?
Sure. Pressure Sektor into the corner. Not too difficult since Sektor players tend to back up anyway. Be mindful of a Sektor player who is starting to feel he is getting into the corner, he might make a rookie mistake and burp out a stand alone teleuppercut.

Sure, good Sektors Ive seen will mostly use the meter for ExTU in order to hit those big combos, for Ex up missile (depending on match up?) wake-up or breakers. The reason I mentioned the X-ray trading hits thing was because Ive encountered many Sektors who are not advanced players and basically rely heavily and almost exclusively on his missiles and TU. I found a lot of them will fill their meter and trade their XRay, since they don´t have the timing down or are simply not aware of Sektors devastating combos
Although they aren't playing Sektor correctly (taking your word for it), Cyrax must beat those guys handily to level your game up. Those players save their meter for EVERY character because they like how x-rays look - those are the majority casual players.

NariTuba

disMember
Although they aren't playing Sektor correctly (taking your word for it), Cyrax must beat those guys handily to level your game up. Those players save their meter for EVERY character because they like how x-rays look - those are the majority casual players.
Its also the fact that their XRay is easy damage for little effort; when it comes to casual players thats the name of the game. Thank you for the tips!

Great tips fellas, much appreciated. And Narituba, If I'm not mistaken, you can duck robot sektors missiles but not the human one. I'm almost certain the human sektor shoots lower missiles that can't be neutral ducked.

Great tips fellas, much appreciated. And Narituba, If I'm not mistaken, you can duck robot sektors missiles but not the human one. I'm almost certain the human sektor shoots lower missiles that can't be neutral ducked.
Negative. You can neutral duck both human and robot's straight missle. Even Sheeva (biggest hitbox in the game) can neutral duck straight missles from either.

That being said, you can't neutral duck an enhanced straight missle from either, nor can you neutral duck the x-ray from either.

Mosp

Noob
Cyrax vs Sektor definitely seems like a difficult matchup but it is possible to win with a little extra effort.

Try not to spam teleports because of Sektor's fast uppercut, however you can bait his uppercut by teleporting and then crouch block and his uppercut while whiff and you should be able to get your full combo. Also, jumping vs Sektor is very bad with his amazing flamethrower which AA's and his TU so dash blocking is a must. You also can't play him like other characters by spamming bombs and nets from a distance so play it smart by throwing a few here and there while trying to bait a TU.

One thing I haven't figured out is the best distance to fight Sektor at but it seems like it's just outside his flamethrower range because up close I feel he has a significantly upper hand. Can anyone confirm this?

Aslo GG's to Robotic, his Sektor seemed unstoppable but I did learn a few things fighting him.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Cyrax vs Sektor definitely seems like a difficult matchup but it is possible to win with a little extra effort.

Try not to spam teleports because of Sektor's fast uppercut, however you can bait his uppercut by teleporting and then crouch block and his uppercut while whiff and you should be able to get your full combo. Also, jumping vs Sektor is very bad with his amazing flamethrower which AA's and his TU so dash blocking is a must. You also can't play him like other characters by spamming bombs and nets from a distance so play it smart by throwing a few here and there while trying to bait a TU.

One thing I haven't figured out is the best distance to fight Sektor at but it seems like it's just outside his flamethrower range because up close I feel he has a significantly upper hand. Can anyone confirm this?

Aslo GG's to Robotic, his Sektor seemed unstoppable but I did learn a few things fighting him.
your cyrax looks pretty good too.

One thing I forgot to mention, per tom brady's guide, sektor is tied with cyber sub for the fastest dash in the game. This means sektor will be able to escape certain bombs situations ur sure should have hit him. Mosp did a great job in NOT dropping his combos. I know that sounds like a minor detail, but online can get kinda tough to land the combos consistently. Why is this vital against Sektor? Breaker. He made me use it constantly. Remember that Sektor with no meter=mid tier. ggs Mosp, let's do it again.