What's new

dealing with scorpions...

ok, maybe I'm not good enough of a mortal Kombat player but, in every online session I'll be up against a Scorpion mainer... and I lose.

Maybe you guys can help with these different situations:

wake up shoulder:
a spear, isnt the wake up shoulder safe?

Offense with the shoulder:
a spear... (this means he knows Im coming in)

Offense with jump kick:
he'll teleport; sometimes though, the kick automaticaly shifts towards him? Or can I, while in the air do a round house kick Noris style that would be safe on either sides?

spear spam :
I'll block, only to be flamed. I could jump but then Im exposed to a teleport hit.

he teleports and I block... he either does a over head hit with his knives ( my bad cause im crouching, right?) or a throw or that leggrab. A better timed hatchet could save the day (while he's in a ball)?

Im always struggling to start something with the f3 or b2, or anti-air him with the hatchet.

Overall its just that I cant quite come in with the offense or play the wait game in defense because of those flames...
What would Brian Boitano do?

thanks.
sorry for the broken english.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
Im not a nightwolf player but some is universal.
he teleports and I block... he either does a over head hit with his knives ( my bad cause im crouching, right?) or a throw or that leggrab. A better timed hatchet could save the day (while he's in a ball)?
Dont crouch on a teleport block and when he hits punish him you have a good amount of time for combo or whatever punish is best for Nightwolf.

Offense with jump kick:
he'll teleport; sometimes though, the kick automaticaly shifts towards him? Or can I, while in the air do a round house kick Noris style that would be safe on either sides?

spear spam :
I'll block, only to be flamed. I could jump but then Im exposed to a teleport hit.
I put these two together as i have found the fJ BK to be a great weapon against Scorps tele and you avoid the Hellfire. The biggest thing is learn to time it, Which if you are playing online its all anticipation. (btw if im wrong due to nightwolf having some different moves i appologize, just it works with most of the Chars i tried.)

ELC

Scrublord McGee
ok, maybe I'm not good enough of a mortal Kombat player but, in every online session I'll be up against a Scorpion mainer... and I lose.
Scorpion main here, but I do have experience playing as Nightwolf from Deception and MK9

Maybe you guys can help with these different situations:

wake up shoulder:
a spear, isnt the wake up shoulder safe?
Safe on block, but not on whiff (otherwise, the whole "ducking not duck-blocking" counter-tactic wouldn't be used instead of "stand-blocking"). Anyhow, I don't recommend any kind of wake-up move except maybe Arrow (if the startup is fast enough) or Lightning (again, if the startup is fast enough); Spear alone does only 3% damage on hit, and will not stun and pull you if you hit Scorpion before its over.

Offense with the shoulder:
a spear... (this means he knows Im coming in)
Two things you can do here. The more reliable option is to close in with dash-blocking before going on the offense. And the more rewarding option is to bait a spear, duck it, then use the Shoulder.

Offense with jump kick:
Don't jump unless you can do a safe jin.P. Scorpion has a strong anti-air game.

spear spam :
Ignore Demon Fire; it's more of a nuisance than a threat. Just keep dash-blocking until you can pressure him.

I'm not exactly sure what options Nightwolf has for punishing floating opponents, so I apologize if this part isn't exactly helpful.

Im always struggling to start something with the f3 or b2, or anti-air him with the hatchet.

Overall its just that I cant quite come in with the offense or play the wait game in defense because of those flames...
What would Brian Boitano do?
Hehehe: I need to watch that movie again; good times.

Anyhow, the trick to fighting Scorpion is to play conservatively until you're close enough to pressure him.

thanks.
sorry for the broken english.
No problem; I hope this helped you somewhat.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
"wake up shoulder:
a spear, isnt the wake up shoulder safe?"
Like others said, it isn't safe on whiff, it has a few invincibility frames on it on wake up. If you know they are gonna spear on your wake up. Duck under it, and dash~shoulder.

"Offense with the shoulder:
a spear... (this means he knows Im coming in)"

This shouldn't be your way of getting in. Dash block in, and do random shoulders to keep him in check. (Random as in Don't do in a row, as in completely random)

"Offense with jump kick:
he'll teleport; sometimes though, the kick automaticaly shifts towards him? Or can I, while in the air do a round house kick Noris style that would be safe on either sides?"

Just high block his teleport, wait for the spin for a second, then punish with B+22~hatchet, B+2~hatchet, dash~1, Dash~1, dash~122 shoulder

"spear spam :
I'll block, only to be flamed. I could jump but then Im exposed to a teleport hit."
Get spam out of your vocabulary of fighting games right now. There is no such thing as spam. If he's doing it over and over again, you're not giving him a reason to stop. Duck under the spear, and dash block/shoulder your way in. Keep stationary, despite his fire, if you have godlike reactions, you can react to the flames.

For this match, you don't start anything with the F+3 or B+2 until you get him confused. Keep it basic and rush him down with 1221, shoulders, and lightnings.

thanks for all the helpfull tips, it's nice to have support from the community, in contrast to all the raging that goes on in the fight matches. I find it hard to keep everything in scope and not get too caried away while playing, fumbling all the inputs, but i believe that with the right attitude I'll get there someday. Thanks again.

thanks for all the helpfull tips, it's nice to have support from the community, in contrast to all the raging that goes on in the fight matches. I find it hard to keep everything in scope and not get too caried away while playing, fumbling all the inputs, but i believe that with the right attitude I'll get there someday. Thanks again.
just to add on what everyone else has said i mained scorpion because hes been my fav since day 1 but then you gotta look at his combos and damge output its not that great. i remember when i started and everyone using scorpion would pop me up with the swords because i had a habit of crouch blocking. get away from that it sounds like what your getting caught with and if it aint broke why fix it. a typical good scorpion player would not tele often and would pressure you usually with the 11 spear then combo afterwards and if he doesnt catch you he will go for the leg sweep (his move). teleporting often is asking to get punished bait him to do it. like be across the screen and be blocking and press down a few times maybe just throw a punch (looks like youre trying to do a move and most likely lead to a tele) well theres your punish and if your not good at that just uppercut. with time you get experience fighting each kharacter it doesnt happen over night. try taking a 5 hour energy drink i bet youll play better lol. when your hyper as hell is usually when you do good. at least for me it is because i am beast mode when im drunk lol. hope this helped somewhat.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I wouldn't advise drinking the full five hour energy drink. I drank one while drowsy during a tourney, and it took me 30 minutes to run off all the excess energy, that full energy made me lose the first match. lol

I wouldn't advise drinking the full five hour energy drink. I drank one while drowsy during a tourney, and it took me 30 minutes to run off all the excess energy, that full energy made me lose the first match. lol
they only work for maybe an hour tops for me usually just half hour and ive dominated a tourney drinking it. drink one and play with raiden. fast character with fast inputs = fast ass whopping ftw :)

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Agreed: in fact just take a sip every once in awhile and it won't be as strong/fast of a burst.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
they only work for maybe an hour tops for me usually just half hour and ive dominated a tourney drinking it. drink one and play with raiden. fast character with fast inputs = fast ass whopping ftw :)
Seeing as though this is a Nightwolf thread, drinking the whole thing while playing nightwolf is not a good thing. Plus that thing lasted for 5-8 hours with me. I couldn't even sleep due to all the excess energy I had left. Like ELC said, take small sips.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
IMO NW vs Scorpion is a pretty lopsided match. Scorpion has to work his ass off to win in this matchup. Scorpion I feel is a great char, but NW isn't a fun match at all.

Teleport: You can duck uppercut both on reaction. Do not wait to guess whether it's EX or normal. Take the easy quick damage and get him off of you ASAP. The EX version is high mid, but if you see the mid come out or get hit by it, you took too long to hit him out of it

Hellfire: You need to bait these out. Like NW's lightning, it's unsafe and you get a free shoulder ram (most of the time, unless it's EX shoulder)

Spear: Unless it's EX spear, just duck. You can SEE EX Spear (it's a mid). Don't duck block, just duck the normal spear. If it's blocked within normal shoulder range, block and punish. If it's full screen and you have meter, full screen EX Shoulder

Keep him off of you, force him to do random teleports to get in. Hellfire is his only real threat, but don't get impatient and try to rush him down. That's exactly what he wants, Scorpion up close has great mixups. His F3 is guaranteed into Spear and you don't want to sit there ducking like an asshole either. Sick back and wait and make him make mistakes, this is one of my favorite matchups w/NW:)