What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kenshi Dealing with Raiden

TyrantRave

タイラント・レイブ
What are Kenshi's options against Raiden? This match-up seems 9.9 to 0.1.

In particular, Raiden's pressure from f2,1 and mixup into f,2,1 b2 is godlike. And Raiden can punish pretty much anything kenshi does from full screen and put him in the corner.

Any match-up tips?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
first off, which variation? I'm a balanced kenshi main so i know the match up pretty well in balanced but I dont know possessed or kenjitsu

MrProfDrPepper

seriously if im going to help i need to know the variation.... each variation is insanely different.

MrProfDrPepper

my #1 way to deal with him is by using EXRK right as they start doing their 50/50 (has to be a read, basically like how kenshi always does it) punish with grab since that is kenshis quickest move. zone hime the fuck out, whatever you do keep him the fuck away from you, make the right reads, get in his head, basically the normal balanced kenshi strategies. things like bait a run with a whiffed teleslice then punish with a telefury, get in his head, dont let him jump, time your EXRK so that he least expects it when he gets close and push him back full screen, rinse repeat. but what specifically are you having trouble with since i realize this is all pretty generic advice.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
It's a bad match-up, you have to deal with f12 and try to guess if he's going to do it again and take a huge risk or spend your armor, then if he baits your armor he just punishes. You have to play mid-screen up close with him (which he's better at), then once he's in its mix-up city again. Meanwhile you're trying to guess if he f12s again or not he's gaining meter to armor or break when you finally hit him.

You can't zone him really, superman punishes tele furry (on block or whiff) anywhere on the screen and takes you to the good old corner.

Consider a good character as back-up if you want to beat competent raidens, maybe when they nerf raiden's f12 or make tele furry safer this mu will be more bearable.

MrProfDrPepper

It's a bad match-up, you have to deal with f12 and try to guess if he's going to do it again and take a huge risk or spend your armor, then if he baits your armor he just punishes. You have to play mid-screen up close with him (which he's better at), then once he's in its mix-up city again. Meanwhile you're trying to guess if he f12s again or not he's gaining meter to armor or break when you finally hit him.

You can't zone him really, superman punishes tele furry (on block or whiff) anywhere on the screen and takes you to the good old corner.

Consider a good character as back-up if you want to beat competent raidens.
im retardedly loyal to kenshi so i wont use a back up, also you have to get in peoples heads to zone with kenshi, you cant just be stupid about it and throw shit out willy nilly, you can zone him if you are not dumb about it since his superman is punishable by kenshi, make a read of when he will do it (easier said than done i know) and punish it then send him back full screen. im not saying it is a good match up, hell kenshi doesnt really have one, but it is doable it is nothing to completely switch to another character to

FoolishProphet

Still waiting for Jade :\
im retardedly loyal to kenshi so i wont use a back up, also you have to get in peoples heads to zone with kenshi, you cant just be stupid about it and throw shit out willy nilly, you can zone him if you are not dumb about it since his superman is punishable by kenshi, make a read of when he will do it (easier said than done i know) and punish it then send him back full screen. im not saying it is a good match up, hell kenshi doesnt really have one, but it is doable it is nothing to completely switch to another character to
Couldn't agree more,being loyal to your character is how you make a bad matchup a good one,instead of switching to a pocket sub or jin try a different variation first.My Kotal is what is now because I stuck it out and all my bad match ups are either even or in my favor.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Make a read? Raiden doesn't have to superman randomly to get through kenshi's zoning lol, he can just do it on reaction to tele furry, you can't tele furry at all then what are you zoning with tele slices? good luck. but anyway i've spread my knowledge in the mu. heed my advice or play a losing battle your choice. It's not until you get slapped by a good raiden that the blindfold comes off for you to see the real truth.

MrProfDrPepper

Make a read? Raiden doesn't have to superman randomly to get through kenshi's zoning lol, he can just do it on reaction to tele furry, you can't tele furry at all then what are you zoning with tele slices? good luck. but anyway i've spread my knowledge in the mu. heed my advice or play a losing battle your choice.
i know, im not saying he will throw them out randomly, nor am i saying dont do telefuries, there are ways to zone him, it is possible, just difficult, when playing kenshi you learn to embrace the bad match up, you learn ways to get around it, find loopholes and ways to make the opponent fear you. it isnt easy playing kenshi, but i do think that the raiden match up is doable. it isnt impossible as you say. besides, every match up with kenshi is a losing battle, it is up to me to try and find ways around it. also saying give up isnt spreading your knowledge of the match up, dont worry, i know telefury can be punished. i dont play kenshi to win, i play him because he is my favorite videogame character and he clicked very well with me. by the way dont take anything i say as disrespect to your opinion because that isnt what im aiming to say, i respect nearly everyone on test your might and their opinions, but I feel that the match up is doable.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
i know, im not saying he will throw them out randomly, nor am i saying dont do telefuries, there are ways to zone him, it is possible, just difficult, when playing kenshi you learn to embrace the bad match up, you learn ways to get around it, find loopholes and ways to make the opponent fear you. it isnt easy playing kenshi, but i do think that the raiden match up is doable. it isnt impossible as you say. besides, every match up with kenshi is a losing battle, it is up to me to try and find ways around it. also saying give up isnt spreading your knowledge of the match up, dont worry, i know telefury can be punished. i dont play kenshi to win, i play him because he is my favorite videogame character and he clicked very well with me. by the way dont take anything i say as disrespect to your opinion because that isnt what im aiming to say, i respect nearly everyone on test your might and their opinions, but I feel that the match up is doable.
Okay well you said make a read when he will superman and punish, im saying he doesnt have to take that risk, kenshi does when he tele-furries. If you're not playing to win then yeah only play kenshi i guess. Kenshi is not absolutely horrible he does really well in some MUs, unfortunately in this one he's going to get bullied hard.

MrProfDrPepper

Okay well you said make a read when he will superman and punish, im saying he doesnt have to take that risk, kenshi does when he tele-furries. If you're not playing to win then yeah only play kenshi i guess. Kenshi is not absolutely horrible he does really well in some MUs, unfortunately in this one he's going to get bullied hard.
ironically i actually also am playing to win since i want to take him to tournaments. i just think it is smarter to stick with who you are best with and most comfortable with in bad match ups and learn the fuck out of it. it isnt easy but it is worth it. yeah i am not pllaying to win in the sense of picking top tier characters, but the character clicks with me and none of the top tier characters feel comfortable. they feel awkward to me, so on top of character loyalty he is the only character as of right now i feel truly comfortable with and feel like i can take to tournaments