What's new

Question Dealing with pressure

Cye9

Noob
I'm maining Ares and really like his playstyle. Obviously he's pretty slow, terrible backdash, but being able to teleport on zoners is invaluable. My question for better Ares players is, how do you best deal with pressure? Most zoners I have no problem but up against a decent batman, superman, doomsday, black adam, or wonder woman who can get in easily and apply a good deal of pressure I have lots of trouble.

It seems like what usually happens is, especially for like doomsday, even what I would consider average players can pin me down without letting me breathe. I can pushblock to get a breath or try to bait a dive and try to punish but any time I open up I usually get outranged and can't get out of the pressure. I've tried, like I said, pushblock, b3 MB, b13, d1d4, but it seems like ares is so slow I always get outpoked and I have no reliable way to get the pressure off.

Do I just need to really work on my blocking and learn the high/low vs every character? I block probably 50/50 but it seems like the characters I listed have pretty good mixups except possibly black adam and wonder woman who usually blocking high against is enough. Any help is appreciate fellow Ares players.

I still have the same problem but whats worked for me is block the highs and make sure to annoy the hell out of them with my zoning. In my opinion I also think Ares rush down with teleports is very useful in these matchups

TuffGong

Noob
This is a first, i cant really find myself in the situation where im getting rushdown pressured. Counter poking will help you here, and D1,4 is excellent for getting out of pressure. And for those 50/50 you gotta learn to fuzzy block. I find Ares lacks in wake-ups. This is his biggest downfall, people can pressure you without the fear of a aggressive wake-up.

I'm maining Ares and really like his playstyle. Obviously he's pretty slow, terrible backdash, but being able to teleport on zoners is invaluable. My question for better Ares players is, how do you best deal with pressure? Most zoners I have no problem but up against a decent batman, superman, doomsday, black adam, or wonder woman who can get in easily and apply a good deal of pressure I have lots of trouble.

It seems like what usually happens is, especially for like doomsday, even what I would consider average players can pin me down without letting me breathe. I can pushblock to get a breath or try to bait a dive and try to punish but any time I open up I usually get outranged and can't get out of the pressure. I've tried, like I said, pushblock, b3 MB, b13, d1d4, but it seems like ares is so slow I always get outpoked and I have no reliable way to get the pressure off.

Do I just need to really work on my blocking and learn the high/low vs every character? I block probably 50/50 but it seems like the characters I listed have pretty good mixups except possibly black adam and wonder woman who usually blocking high against is enough. Any help is appreciate fellow Ares players.
Yes, work on your blocking and learn the all of the high/low mixups that each of your opponents can throw at you. Also, instead of b3 MB, use f3 MB.

Ares can instantly MB his ground-bounce by holding meter button then inputting f3.

Cye9

Noob
Yes, work on your blocking and learn the all of the high/low mixups that each of your opponents can throw at you. Also, instead of b3 MB, use f3 MB.

Ares can instantly MB his ground-bounce by holding meter button then inputting f3.
I'll try that out, sounds like it might be very helpful. Thanks a lot. Get especially frustrated with doing the MB b3 on a skyfalling doomsday and having it whiff on the other side, I'm gonna practice switching over to f3.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
d1d4 is a really good but you have to not randomly throw it out, cause if they block u lose the sword trait and its punishable. The 22 string is good to counter pressure cause 2 is a 6 frames mid and u can also combo start from it.

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
Because d1 d4 can be pocked out of for a full combo, try and do a d1 MB df1. This will get them off you and if they block it which is not easy then they have to respect it. Which means you can do a d1 d4 next time which has advantage. If this hits then you can do whatever you want, backdash, invisibility, runaway, or get in for a safe 50/50.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
How is 2 a 6f mid? In-game it is listed as 12 frames. I usually counter poke confirm d1 on hit with 3 and then on block you are 0 or on hit you do f23d4 or if you have high dexterity confirm d1 with 3d2 godsmack and go for a reset. After the f23d4 you can also go for a reset god smack if you wish. If they start dashing I counter with d1 on hit to b1.
Well ingame his 2 listed as 10 frames and 22 string is 6 frames startup.

And whould you go for 3 when poking with d1...

Im not sure why you quote a post from 3 months ago....

Well ingame his 2 listed as 10 frames and 22 string is 6 frames startup.

And whould you go for 3 when poking with d1...

Im not sure why you quote a post from 3 months ago....

I counter poke with d1, if it hits I do 3 or b1 depending on whether or not I think they will back dash or not. You are 0 or +2 if you do 3d2 and have MB GS available. If d1 is blocked I do nothing.

Once they respect your 3d2 follow up MB GS combo will you be able to skip the d1 on counter poke and go into other strings.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Yeah true his 3d2 is good when you counterpoke with d1 on hit. There are many options tough. Too tired too talk about it now but if i dont forget i will discuss more about it tomorrow.