What's new

Dealing with hyper aggressive players.

A friend that I play against on occasion has a very hyper aggressive playstyle and I was wondering how you all deal with the constant in your face tornado of attacks.

I mostly deal with it by blocking then following up with d2 11 trait and the occasional walking corpse, almost always canceling the opposite direction as about 75% of the time I'll get jumped over and then it's d2 11 trait again(or landing the WC and mb). Or using armored trait/aa grab. I pretty much never get a chance to do anything else and it leads to boring match when I just do the same d2 punish, over and over and over.

I feel like I should be able to do something else vs the likes of Catwoman, KF, scorpion, batgirl when they're running around all coked up and chugging banes venom.

Anything else to do to squeeze out more damage? Doing stuff like f1 3 rarely lands and it's too slow or being slid under or teleported from. And only on a complete whiff do I get the chance for 112 mb sh 112 bf2 trait. But by then I've already accidently inputted d2 since it's usually the only thing I have time to get out. It seems wake up slides/teleports best anything I try except to block or armor and punish.

I'll use mb swamp hands when a full screen zone is attempted, but it seems I only have time to 3x dash and then trait. Even at the shorter ranges I panic and just trait sometimes.

Basically versus this play style my only moves that open them up for a combo are mb sw and d2. Any suggestions to build off of those or something better to try?

I used to have a really hard time to those kind of players till I took the time to learn to block. The problem was, I didn't know how to deal with what I knew was coming when I saw them dashing towards me so I would panic and go with an armored special on the hopes it would beat theirs but all that did was waste meter lol.

After taking the time to just watch their go to strings, looking for animation queues and so on I got good at blocking most of the common matchups which opens up opportunities to punish.

Once you land your punish to you need to do anything you can to keep momentum on your side. Practice followups to your various punishes. examples:
- AA grab, WC MB, rot...
---JI trait
---JI 11>combo
---dash, dash f13>combo
---dash, dash b1>combo
- health chain...
---dash, JI 1 or 3>combo
---dash,MB cleaver
- power chain...
---f13>combo
---dash,11>combo

After MB swamp hands you have time to do 3 dashes then combo, don't feel like your limited to raw trait.

don't forget your backdash! I know people complain about it being lame but I think its perfect for grundy as it lets you move just enough to mess up their strings while keeping you close enough to punish.

Also, remember to pushblock if you need to.

Thanks for the tips, i'm going to have to try adding the mb swamp hands while they're juggled and try to reset from there.

I also never really back dash and usually just opt to block, I'll need to work on that too.

I'm liking the follow up suggestions too. I would usually just WC again at that point or try to armor trait grab the wakeup. Now to find time to get on the game and into that practice mode

Thanks again!

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
When they are actually in. Just block until you have a chance to D1 or D2. You can always armor, and push block works as well. Back dashing can be used but it is risky since characters can punish this on a read.

Also figuring out which Chain Buff is good for each character will be helpful too.

In the neutral game, you need to make use of Grundys long range normals like 2, D3, and 1. Having these block can either get you the momentum or just keep the opponent at bay. Online this is kinda hard, but you need to be in a space where you can punish their dash-in, or just make them have to block a string when they dash. This is when they will start trying to jump in. You need to be able anti-air them with D2 or his AA Grab, or space yourself out or get out of the way of the jump in and punish them.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Ah, I forgot: On your offense, develop frame traps for them to fall into. Find out what leaves you plus on block (+3 or higher should do it). Then, abuse the traps repeatedly.

Thanks. Diving into frame info is something I haven't touched on yet. I was able to use a thread down further to a nice degree to get grabs on scorpion. Usually 112 trait on block. I've since used that on other characters but haven't delved too deep.

I've read that the frame info in game isn't very reliable. Gonna have to see if it's on the wiki or sitting around here elsewhere.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned back dashing to escape. MB Trait, D2 if the are gaps, and backdashing are what I mainly use to deal with crazy pressure.

try d2 11 mb swamp hands b1(wait like half a second) trait grab
Waiting half a second will allow them to jump out. In fact you really don't want to wait you just don't want to chain it. b1 then mash on 4 will work.

In general it depends on who your oppoenent is using as to what to do.

armor trait works against a lot of reset situations. For people that jump a lot the AA grab is great. Best to start ducking and when they jump just move to F and 1 and it counts the full crouch as the initial part. Allows you to quickly anti air characters like batman that like to pressure you with + frames and then jump again for a crossup. Once your opponent knows you'll do armored trait they tend to neutral jump in situations where you can do it allowing you to start doing d2 or aa grab.

If you have space and the opponent is moving in most likely they will jump so look for it and AA grab. If they are the type that likes to just dash in then standing 2 buffer db motion and on hit you can confirm into MB 2 for full combo.

Personally not a fan of d2 11 db2 mb combos. If I hit with a d2 I usually take that as a way to do decent damage meterless. I find too often I'm struggling for meter so any meterless damage is always good. Just too many options that are good for meter with grundy. If I have a surplus of meter I'll do the d2 mb swamp hand combos. Also if you think they may block the d2 you can just do d2 trait and it will combo on hit and its surprising to quite a few people on block.

Besides that you have back dash and if they commit to a string then you can interupt with either a WC, f13, or 112.

d1 is a decent move to break pressure. better range than d2.