What's new

Match-up Discussion Dealing with catwoman?

How do you guys deal with catwoman as Grundy? It seems that everything she does is unpunishable by his slowness and her retardedly fast recovery.

Armor /thread
Seriously though she cant really deal with grundy's grabs (dodge gets caught, no wager (the only use for her meter), untechable)
also 1 punishes her cat dash (-14) and 112 (-15) string (probably the only easily hit confirmable for real damage string).
also grundy has more priority on trades and can whiff punish pretty hard.
Beware of her jumping 2 because it's like 1/2 screen, but you can walking corpse on reaction for 12% or armor through the hit (assuming it was thrown high) and cancel out for a combo.

Online play my 1 strings are not fast enough to punish cat dash, ever. i get stuffed everytime, my first 1 attack gets halfway through the animation and then i just eat combo. which shouldn't happen i realize. which makes it hard to win when every catwoman just has to spam cat dash and theres nothing i can do about it without meter

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Armor /thread
Seriously though she cant really deal with grundy's grabs (dodge gets caught, no wager (the only use for her meter), untechable)
also 1 punishes her cat dash (-14) and 112 (-15) string (probably the only easily hit confirmable for real damage string).
also grundy has more priority on trades and can whiff punish pretty hard.
Beware of her jumping 2 because it's like 1/2 screen, but you can walking corpse on reaction for 12% or armor through the hit (assuming it was thrown high) and cancel out for a combo.
She can dodge all of his grabs with low evade and punish them for full combos.

Everything else is pretty spot on. You also have to watch whip and low whip.

The problem with Catwoman is she doesnt actually have any 50/50s. 90% of her string you can block both options low, so that is the key to fighting her.

the problem isn't blocking her, the problem is that apparently due to online lag and grundys naturally retarded slowness i can't punish anything after she gets into recovery

She can dodge all of his grabs with low evade and punish them for full combos.

Everything else is pretty spot on. You also have to watch whip and low whip.

The problem with Catwoman is she doesnt actually have any 50/50s. 90% of her string you can block both options low, so that is the key to fighting her.
she doesnt have a low whip, she has a whip and high whip.
grundy has an air grab. it's a matter of reads. she's probably not going to use the hopdodge because grundy can combo into his chains, so she'll want to be more offensive. this is why i said that. Therefore her best option is her regular dodge, but that gets grabbed. Grundy has a lot of good options.

Zoidberg747

she doesnt have a low whip, she has a whip and high whip.
grundy has an air grab. it's a matter of reads. she's probably not going to use the hopdodge because grundy can combo into his chains, so she'll want to be more offensive. this is why i said that. Therefore her best option is her regular dodge, but that gets grabbed. Grundy has a lot of good options.
DF3 is the low whip. Its not in the movelist. I didnt think about chain grabs, but are you sure he can do them if the first one whiffs? The point is to wait until you see the animation and then dodge, otherwise they could fake you out.

This is all theory for me though, havent really had a chance to play good people yet lol.

the problem isn't blocking her, the problem is that apparently due to online lag and grundys naturally retarded slowness i can't punish anything after she gets into recovery
please dont tell me you came to this site to complain about online. You're right, lag makes characters worse and it makes the game generally more annoying. That doesnt mean you shouldnt learn the actual strategy for properly playing a matchup. Instead of saying "that doesnt work online" say "ok, i'll try to get my timing more on point so that i can play better." as i said, you have 2-3 frames to input 1, yes that's a short time period, but there is a gap to punish.

i can do all of these things offline easily, maybe i should have been more specific in the OP. So let me clarify, people that main Grundy online; how do You deal with catwoman online?

Ask any catwoman main. It is not the low poke and it is a low whip. Try BF3, DB3, DF3 etc. It is real lol
I'm asking myself and i dont have answers for you
i tried bf3 f3 comes out
db3 b3 comes out
df3 f3 comes out

there is no low whip, there's df1 regular whip
db1 airwhip (or tall ppl whip)
and J2 magic air whip of love <3
Low whip would make her godlike

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's not d,f+3 like an MK input. It's not a special move it's a normal. The input is down/forward, as in the diagonal. There's a couple inputs like that in this game. It's called Whip Trip in her moves list.

Zoidberg747

It's not d,f+3 like an MK input. It's not a special move it's a normal. The input is down/forward, as in the diagonal. There's a couple inputs like that in this game. It's called Whip Trip in her moves list.
Thank you. Good to know the input too, will help in getting it down.

hmm, ok, i'll have to check that after the bulls game. I'm assuming it's not alternate control specific?
Thanks for the info

seems like d3 is better though. It's only +21 (instead of 30) so not as great fo oki, but lowers your hitbox, and is less negative on block. has about the same range too. I could see d/f3 having similar uses to kitana's fake out kick though.

seems like d3 is better though. It's only +21 (instead of 30) so not as great fo oki, but lowers your hitbox, and is less negative on block. has about the same range too. I could see it having similar uses to kitana's fake out kick though.
Edit....nm I'm stupid

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
How do you guys deal with catwoman as Grundy? It seems that everything she does is unpunishable by his slowness and her retardedly fast recovery.
Punish cat dash with uppercut (ur is one of the best in the game), 112 and cat claws are unpunishable for Grundy without a doubt.