What's new

Dead Island

REO

Undead
So Dead Island just came out today and I went to go pick up a copy (was all sold out for 360, so I ended up buying the last copy they had for PS3). I'm a HUGE zombie fan and so far this game has been amazing. The story is great, the characters are all unique with different traits, perks, stats, and abilities. There are four unique survivors to choose from with 4 player online co-op. This game reminds me of Resident Evil: Outbreak and a little bit of Grand Theft Auto combined.

Anyone else looking to pick this game up?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I actually really wanted to check this game out.

I cant though, I'm saving for Devastation, and the dentist just literally took everything I had for Dev...

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Yes. I am in the Uk so I have to wait a few more days, but I am looking forward to playing this with friends more than any other game at the moment. I am a zombies fan, too. Left 4 dead, resident evil, etc. It pleases me to hear you say this game is like resident evil outbreak as I loved the feel of those games.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I want it too but I'm probably gonna wait for a price drop or something. I loved the trailer and the game looks awesome

McNasty

Moist.
being a fellow zombie fan im very interested but due to a recent relocation I only have my laptop so Ill have to see if it will run the game. Miiight try it for 360 if I can figure out this keyboard mouse converter I have.

Wow, I am a huge fan of resident evil outbreak 1 and file 2, lol I didn't even think people knew about those gems. Might have to check that games out.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I'm a huge zombie geek too (my half sleeve is just a bunch of zombies eating a guy) so i'm sure i'll pick this up. Looks like a mix of dead rising and fallout 3 / oblivion. Gotta find a 360 copy though.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The developers of the game somehow released the debug version of the game on steam instead of the retail version so they game is almost completely unplayable on PC. Just pushing W activates noclip and you can just fly of the island.

Fun.

RamenO

It Stinks!
I was hoping to get it on PC. Well. You know how that went..
It's already been patched/fixed I think.

I'm having a blast with this game, I play it on PC on my ventrilo with my buddies and it's tons of fun. I'd say it reminds me more of Far Cry 2 + Borderlands. Hell, I'd just say Borderlands with zombies. Played for like 6-7 hours last night on release with friends and we're only 15% into the main story. Side quests galore.

I want to pick it up, I will later on. I'm a huge zombie fan as well, I love the lore, the atmosphere, and the whole zombie concept.

Though first I need to save up for a new TV, Xbox, and Gears 3.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'll be buying it on PS3 once I have the money, been itching for a good co-op game to play with my buddies again. How's the voice chat on PS3? We had to resort to using Skype on PC/PSP during Borderlands due to how atrocious the voice chat was. Stupid workaround, but it works.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Outbreak mixed with GTA sounds fun as hell. I used to play Outbreak File 2 constantly on PS2 online and I miss an actual Zombie co-up. :/

Can't wait to pick this up.

REO

Undead
OK so after a few days of playing Dead Island I can give a better idea of how the game is. I would say it has some game similiarities in it from previous titles such as:

Resident Evil Outbreak - 4 player online co-op. Each survivor has unique attributes, abilities, and stats. Melee weapons break (even knives), ammo is scarce. Puzzles ranging from easy to hard.

Left 4 Dead: 4 playable survivors to select from. Played in first-person. There are special infected which require unique and different ways in dealing with them.

Dead Rising: You can create weapons.

Grand Theft Auto: Huge open maps to be explored. A ton of side-quests to do and complete.

Other than what was mentioned above, there is a TON of elements in this game that have been incorporated very well. The maps are goddamn huge with freedom. Flashlight system was implemented great in this game, you can flick it on or off but it drains power while on and gradually restores while off. Melee weapons aren't overpowered and braindead in this game as they were in the Left 4 Dead series. You can even chuck melee weapons (sharp ones stick into enemies). The movement is fluid and quick, not as clunky as it was in Resident Evil Outbreak. There is a stamina meter that is used for many things such as; running, jumping, swinging, etc. There are vehicles you can drive and use to travel around the map faster. There is a big RPG system in this game that works surprisingly well, you can customize special abilities (actives and passives) in a skill tree you can use each time you level up. Enemies get stronger with you, so it's not like other games where once you find that shotgun you're good to go and will always instant-kill mobs of zombies. Weapons can also be upgraded and modified.

Overall this is one of the best, if not the best zombie game I have ever played, very addicting. The character I chose specializes in guns so I've finally reached a point into the game where guns are available and so far it's been more than a blast. Did I mention it's also one of those serious-atmosphere survival zombie games and not one of those arcade shooter (L4d) / comic games? Must by for any zombie fan.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Damn it REO. If I had not pre-ordered Space Marine I would have bought the game.

You should work as a viral marketer.

GNG Iniquity

So REO, the big question here is, how similar is this game in regards to Borderlands in length? Do you have the option to replay the game on a harder difficulty after beating it and all that?

You should work as a viral marketer.
It's a terrible job, 95% of the stuff you're assigned to is crap you have no interest in what so ever, and you just spam every message board in existence with 100s of email accounts. And you have to screen cap every post with timestamps. I had a friend who did this for years, and I tried it for a day.

Hated it.

This game is alright. Kinda wished I didn't waste my money and waited like a year before buying it off the bargain bin for 10 bucks but whatever.

GNG Iniquity

This game is alright. Kinda wished I didn't waste my money and waited like a year before buying it off the bargain bin for 10 bucks but whatever.
All I'm planning on doing is playing it with friends, if it measures up to Borderlands, then great. I'll happily buy it. If it measures up to per say Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising 2...then, no thanks.

SilverKeyMan said:
so unless a few friends pick it up and want to play co-op, I'm probably going to pass. =(
Why else would you buy it? Borderlands by myself was pretty dull, all I did was farm chests in the off-time for myself and my friends, then play the actual game with them.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I was extremely tempted when I saw the original trailer, thinking it was something more than a FPS. GameSpot blasted it pretty bad, however, so unless a few friends pick it up and want to play co-op, I'm probably going to pass. =(

All I'm planning on doing is playing it with friends, if it measures up to Borderlands, then great. I'll happily buy it. If it measures up to per say Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising 2...then, no thanks.
You may like it, it has a Borderlands feel too it. Yeah the game is fun with friends, but just like Borderlands, boring by yourself. Man you just hope that you know how to system link or have a few friends on PSN because there is NO OFFLINE SPLITSCREEN! Also, I've only played it on Xbl but connecting with friends has been a gigantic pain in my ass maybe different on PC and PSN.

GNG Iniquity

but connecting with friends has been a gigantic pain in my ass maybe different on PC and PSN.
Borderlands connected on PSN for the most part, voice chat is horrid on PSN though for it. We have to resort to using Skype with our laptops/PSPs. It's pretty stupid, but it works...haha

Hoping that Dead Island has GOOD voice chat.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Im getting it in a month or so, really looking forward to it. Honestly looks like Borderlands mixed with Left 4 dead, so im definitely picking this one up.