What's new

Darth Arma's MB Grapple into 50/50 tech

coolwhip

Noob
This is super creative. Props to DarthArma for having arguably the most entertaining Batman, and continuing to come up with new tech.

After finishing any combo with MB straight grapple, you take a step or two backwards, call bats, and then jump in on your opponent. Depending on how you space it out, you either cross him up or not for the reset. It's a 50/50 guess.

EDIT: As Arma explained below, when you call bats while your opponent is still in hits stun from the MB grapple, anything you connect with afterwards will launch a new combo.

Here's a video of him doing it (at around the 1:45 mark):

I was always hesitant to end combos with MB straight grapple mid-screen because it's hard to get continuous pressure there and your opponent can just push block (obviously it's much more worth it in the corner). But this gives it another dimension and makes it completely worthwhile, especially if you need the damage.

Last edited:

zuurrkk

World's worst GL
This isn't new, I've been hit with it before. No offense to OP, but are people barely figuring out that MB moves that lead into a standing state can be used for 50/50's?

coolwhip

Noob
This isn't new, I've been hit with it before. No offense to OP, but are people barely figuring out that MB moves that lead into a standing state can be used for 50/50's?
No offense taken, but are people really taking offense to trying to showcase interesting/useful tech in character forums in an attempt to get some discussion going due to how dead they are?

I never claimed it was new or revolutionary, but I can't be expected to know if you've been hit with it in online matches before. Arma is so far the only Batman player I've seen use this in offline tourneys, so I just attributed it to him. And yeah, obviously Batman has endless possibilities after MB straight grapple, but this is one I've never thought of before, and given how I don't see top Batman players like Forever King and PL do it (despite the fact that they're both ridiculously good), I thought I'd share it.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Let's try it a bit later on today, shall we? Arma connects a J2 right after he releases the bats. You rarely do that. Your favorite move is a B3 after the bats which only works when your opponent is airborne (or too stupid to block). I'll text you when I'm online

coolwhip

Noob
Let's try it a bit later on today, shall we? Arma connects a J2 right after he releases the bats. You rarely do that. Your favorite move is a B3 after the bats which only works when your opponent is airborne (or too stupid to block). I'll text you when I'm online
I think you misunderstood the part I'm referring to. What you're talking about is the day 1 tech where the Batman player releases bats as he's dashing in and then crosses his opponent up, making it quite difficult to block (since the bats hit one way and the cross-up the other). B3 after releasing a bat is extremely useful since it is far reaching, the bat can catch the opponent pressing buttons, and at worst, gives frame advantage on block.

Anyway, the tech I'm referring to has nothing to do with bats (although like I said, you have enough time to call bats if you want to), and you don't need them to do it. All you have to do is finish a combo with MB straight grapple, wait for a bit, then jump in. Based on your spacing, you either cross your opponent up or not, meaning that he has to guess which way to block.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
No offense taken, but are people really taking offense to trying to showcase interesting/useful tech in character forums in an attempt to get some discussion going due to how dead they are?

I never claimed it was new or revolutionary, but I can't be expected to know if you've been hit with it in online matches before. Arma is so far the only Batman player I've seen use this in offline tourneys, so I just attributed it to him. And yeah, obviously Batman has endless possibilities after MB straight grapple, but this is one I've never thought of before, and given how I don't see top Batman players like Forever King and PL do it (despite the fact that they're both ridiculously good), I thought I'd share it.
the forums are dead you should accept that fact and never ever ever try posting anything ever again here.
ever

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
u are posting stuff like the game has been released only a few months ago and there are still tons of shit for ppl to think of or discuss.. what the hell man

Rodrigue

Spongerod
I think you misunderstood the part I'm referring to. What you're talking about is the day 1 tech where the Batman player releases bats as he's dashing in and then crosses his opponent up, making it quite difficult to block (since the bats hit one way and the cross-up the other). B3 after releasing a bat is extremely useful since it is far reaching, the bat can catch the opponent pressing buttons, and at worst, gives frame advantage on block.

Anyway, the tech I'm referring to has nothing to do with bats, and you don't need them to do it. All you have to do is finish a combo with MB straight grapple, wait for a bit, then jump in. Based on your spacing, you either cross your opponent up or not, meaning that he has to guess which way to block.
I can read the title whip -_- i was just pointing out something else :p
Anyway it's my bad. I should've mentioned it. I will be helping you stepping your game up tonight, especially in the corner. I noticed you had a hard time there.

coolwhip

Noob
I can read the title whip -_- i was just pointing out something else :p
Anyway it's my bad. I should've mentioned it. I will be helping you stepping your game up tonight, especially in the corner. I noticed you had a hard time there.
My corner game is fine. It's actually pretty good (and cross over J2 after releasing bats is something every Batman player does, but thanks for the advice anyway :p ) Of course it's different on a middle eastern online connection where frame advantage doesn't matter and mashing uppercuts can get you out of all of Batman's shit. The real problem I have is winning air to air trades.

PS: Unless you mean I struggle when I'm the one who's cornered, in which case yeah. That is the life of a Batman player. His d1 sucks, and his wake-ups are atrocious. When Catwoman knocks me down in the corner I just have to pray I guess right.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
My corner game is fine. It's actually pretty good (and cross over J2 after releasing bats is something every Batman player does, but thanks for the advice anyway :p ) Of course it's different on a middle eastern online connection where frame advantage doesn't matter and mashing uppercuts can get you out of all of Batman's shit. The real problem I have is winning air to air trades.

PS: Unless you mean I struggle when I'm the one who's cornered, in which case yeah. That is the life of a Batman player. His d1 sucks, and his wake-ups are atrocious. When Catwoman knocks me down in the corner I just have to pray I guess right.
Of course i mean when you're the one cornered hahahahaha
Your air to air game is a bitch i'll give you that :p and your full screen mb straight grapple is even bitchier. You won't be happy tonight whip :p
Oh lol and speaking of d1, d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, this is actually a vortex for Batman: as long as he ends with MB grapple, it's a 50/50 into a full combo. Alot of people do this online.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Are you able to F dash this?
Ive done this before but I'm not sure if it was 22 trait or b11 trait

Edit: i just realized you werent talking about this. Sorry

Decent tech. But if your opponent knows Batman, than based on your spacing he can know if your going to cross up or not
This might only apply to Lex Luthor, because he has a tall hitbox- but when I was practicing defending against this in practice mode, I found that at the exact same distance, j2 could hit in-front/behind based soley on the time Batman does the j2.

This might only pertain to Lex and other characters with a tall hitbox, but for Lex I'm 100% sure that a j2 can hit in-front/behind at the exact same starting-jump-distance.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
This might only apply to Lex Luthor, because he has a tall hitbox- but when I was practicing defending against this in practice mode, I found that at the exact same distance, j2 could hit in-front/behind based soley on the time Batman does the j2.

This might only pertain to Lex and other characters with a tall hitbox, but for Lex I'm 100% sure that a j2 can hit in-front/behind at the exact same starting-jump-distance.
That sucks for Lex lol. Maybe I will look into this

coolwhip

Noob
Decent tech. But if your opponent knows Batman, than based on your spacing he can know if your going to cross up or not
I agree. I don't think it's foolproof, but like most tech, it opens up other possibilities once your opponent is familiar with it. For instance, once he starts looking out for your spacing, you can mix things up by dashing in (after taking a few steps backwards) and go for B1, grab, or anything else. You can even use the glide after jumping to add further mix-ups. Obviously, all of this is reactable. But in the heat of the moment, with so many options, nobody's going to defend everything 100% of the time.

IDK if your time stamp was right, but what happens is when you call trait out, the opponent will remain in hit stun from the meterburn grapple, and the next hit, no matter how fast it occurs, will initiate a new combo and will obviously give the opponent the opportunity to block. There is also a neutral j2 set up if you walk back a little nad jump forward. very similar to sinestros vortex.