What's new

Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott 8/20/1966 to 12/8/2004

Tim Static

Adminerator
As the clock here in Columbus turns to the 9th of December, I had to share this with you all.

7 years ago tonight, at a local music club here in Columbus (about 3m from me), former Pantera & then Damageplan guitarist Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott was shot 4 times in the head and killed during the beginning of a gig by a mentally unstable, insane ex-marine named Nathan Gale. Three others lost their lifes trying to protect and help Dimebag after he was shot. They were: Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson (Damageplan's head of security), Alrosa employee Erin Halk and audience member Nathan Bray. More would have been killed or seriously injured if it wasnt for CPD Officer James D. Niggemeyer coming through the back door of the venue (pictured below) and killing Gale with one single blast of his 12 gauge Remington shotgun to his face.

I'll never ever get the images of that night out of my head, or my dreams, but I find solace in knowing that punk ass bitch is gone too. 7 years later, it hurts just as much, and i still cant believe it really happened.

RIP to all those killed that night.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Why is it always the best fucking musicians that have to die? Its such a damn shame, he was truly an inspiration to us all. And those three people that tried to help him, you all are braver than most of us. Rest in piece my friends, you deserve it.

Drizzy

Banned
Don't forget john lennon died today as well. He influenced more people than dimebag. Not to take anything away from bag darrel

Korpse

PTH | Korpse
Dime > All. Shame we lost one of the four badasses who kept metal alive through the Grunge Trend of the 90's. It's always 3:33 where Dime's at now.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
R.I.P. Dimebag. There will NEVER be another...:(.

I was in high school in art class when my pal told. I refused to believe him 'til I googled it and saw the story.
And there were still rumors flying of a Pantera reunion around that time...meh :( :(...

He is the reason Spongebob will ALWAYS be metal as fuck.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
lmao FUCK YES

YES :D. Even against Pantera and Damageplan (Fuck, those guys were good), this is one of my favorites.
Prime example of my favorite thing about Dime: He didn't just play riffs and solos, he was all about ambience and extra layers.
Using the axe like a piano and a violin AT THE SAME TIME just to give his tunes more depth. $$$.

On an ironic sidenote, watching Spongebob now with Baby Box and the one with the soda drink hat and the FOXY GRANDPA cap comes on.

I hope they play Pre-Hibernation Week sometime today.
*With a cannonball stuck in his head* "I've never played Extreme Jacks before!"

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
R.I.P Dimebag.

Pantera was my second favorite band, next to Megadeth. Dimebag was originally going to be the guitarist for Megadeth but he turned it down because he wanted to be in a band with his brother.

Tim Static

Adminerator
YES :D. Even against Pantera and Damageplan (Fuck, those guys were good), this is one of my favorites.
Prime example of my favorite thing about Dime: He didn't just play riffs and solos, he was all about ambience and extra layers.
Using the axe like a piano and a violin AT THE SAME TIME just to give his tunes more depth. $$$.

On an ironic sidenote, watching Spongebob now with Baby Box and the one with the soda drink hat and the FOXY GRANDPA cap comes on.

I hope they play Pre-Hibernation Week sometime today.
*With a cannonball stuck in his head* "I've never played Extreme Jacks before!"
lmao i love spongebob. one of the best cartoons of all time, imo. they need to put them all on blu-ray in full hd and release them by seasons or something :)

Can't believe it's been 7 years already. R.I.P.

Were you at that show, Tim?
yea i was, but i'd rather not talk about it

everyone post up your favorite Dimebag songs, riffs, solos, funny stories, concert stories please.

this is a tough, tough 48 hour for me. A year and one day later, on Dec 9th, 2005, i lost a good good extremely influential close family friend. still havent gotten over either death. :/

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
:( Holy shit, man...Im sorry. *consoling bro hug*
I can't imagine what it must've been like...but at least you're still here, carrying on his badass memory.
We lost a hero, but if nothing else, his skills and superpowers still inspire and bring forth awesome, steel-reinventing fucking music and memories to this day, and fuel metalheads like us to remember our roots and carry on the love for the arcane art of HEAVY for decades to come.

I'm gonna call my boy for a joyride and blast "Walk" while zooming down the Garden State tonight. Hell yes.

lmao i love spongebob. one of the best cartoons of all time, imo. they need to put them all on blu-ray in full hd and release them by seasons or something :)
So I'm not the only one?? This is wonderful news :D.
I mean, I'm a daddy now so I have an excuse, but even before, simply because I found it more entertaining than most regular TV, I watched more Spongebob than any guy my age should probably watch, lol.
"IMAAAAAAAGINAAAAAAAATIONNN" = $$$.

Robotic

Gentleman.

yea i was, but i'd rather not talk about it

everyone post up your favorite Dimebag songs, riffs, solos, funny stories, concert stories please.

this is a tough, tough 48 hour for me. A year and one day later, on Dec 9th, 2005, i lost a good good extremely influential close family friend. still havent gotten over either death. :/
Juat watch Vulgar Videos, bud. How can those funny as hell vids NOT give you a pick-me-up? The Big Valboski trying to eat a whole cake? Trent Reznor drunk as fuck hanging on to Vinnie? The boys and Sepultura doing Kaiowas together? Shit, I just talked myself into watching it again!

Tim Static

Adminerator
So I'm not the only one?? This is wonderful news :D.
I mean, I'm a daddy now so I have an excuse, but even before, simply because I found it more entertaining than most regular TV, I watched more Spongebob than any guy my age should probably watch, lol.
"IMAAAAAAAGINAAAAAAAATIONNN" = $$$.
lmao yea i used to use my kids as an excuse, but now i have no issue being a Spongebob fan. :)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Juat watch Vulgar Videos, bud. How can those funny as hell vids NOT give you a pick-me-up? The Big Valboski trying to eat a whole cake? Trent Reznor drunk as fuck hanging on to Vinnie? The boys and Sepultura doing Kaiowas together? Shit, I just talked myself into watching it again!
lmao good idea. :cheers:

Satan1

Ice Pirate
Man... When we were kids, we just played the Pantera records over and over. And one day a friend ordered the first Pantera home video on VHS and we just couldn't stop watching the damn tape. We thought it (and still think btw) was so cool, especially the tit flashing, the weed references & alcohol abuse (yeah, we didn't have the all the triple X on the net back in those days). Goddamn, it even made us start a band 'cause we hoped all the girls would flash their tits at us :). Watching the 3 home video's just brings me back to the 90's... damn those days were good, gonna throw in those DVD's tonight!!