What's new

Dark Souls Thread

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
currently in the painting with 60,000 souls and 3 humanity. Terrified I'm going to lose it all before I can spend it on pyromancy upgrades.

Is this game good? All i've been hearing as of late is Dark souls Goty...
doubt it'll take goty over Uncharted 3, or skyrim. Depends on the type of game you like. Do you like engrossing stories, characters? Do you like games that are a cinematic experience like a good movie?

Or do you like games to challenge your mind, reflexes and punish you harshly for making mistakes?

if you are into the later then you'd like demon and dark souls. Good rpg elements through gameplay, atmosphere is very dark and bleak, there is no sunny and bright in those games. They are fun for character building, but you wont see any flashy spells or animations. Everything is pretty stiff and generic ont he graphical side. Game is pretty much there just to prove you can get through it.

It's listed as a fault these days.
Well when I play games I like the experience, something great to look at, great story, characters, fun gameplay. If I want to be challenged i'll take more classes through continued education or build my body through strict diet and heavy exercise. I prefer doing challenging things in life not in a game. Challenge can be fun, but when it overshadows something that is an amazing experience it loses it's fun. It's like playing hardcore vs ladder on diablo 2, the options there if you want it. Problem with dark and demonsouls is there is little there beyond the challenge, the gameplay is relatively weak compared to more polished games, the story and characters just aren't there and it's pretty bland. If the difficulty wasn't there it would be a mediocre game.

Not saying the game is a terrible pile of poo, it's fun, has a few addictive rpg elements, but it's a one trick pony.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Everything is pretty stiff and generic ont he graphical side. Game is pretty much there just to prove you can get through it.
No way, man. Dark Souls is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.

The art style of the game is very grounded and gritty, which I love and is a huge departure for most japanese developers. Basically, they present the game in a way that looks "believable" in the sense that if there were actually humans doing battle with hideous monsters with magic and stuff IRL, that's what it would look like.

Also, the subtlety of the story and how the narrative is hidden within the overall context of the game is so unique and makes for an incredible atmosphere and engrossing experience. It ain't no michael bay fare.

Not to mention the coolest and most unique multiplayer system of all time.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Problem with dark and demonsouls is there is little there beyond the challenge, the gameplay is relatively weak compared to more polished games, the story and characters just aren't there and it's pretty bland. If the difficulty wasn't there it would be a mediocre game.

Not saying the game is a terrible pile of poo, it's fun, has a few addictive rpg elements, but it's a one trick pony.
I literally can't even wrap my head around this statement lol

I literally can't even wrap my head around this statement lol

haha just different strokes different folks type thing. I agree about the multiplayer, I really liked the way messages could be left, the blood stains etc.. Subtlty in story was done well in Shadow of the colossus and ICO, sure it was there in Demon and Dark Souls, i'm just saying it wasn't that great. After I finished Demon Souls not once did I think back on how amazing the story was. Story is a big part of a good game for me. And ya I agree, no micheal bay fare type thing, it's subtle. Sure it's pretty, but it's not mind blowing.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, I just think it's a one trick pony. It's there for challenge, beyond that there isn't much there. Take something like NG or DMC3, the challenge is damn sure there, but so is the gameplay. NG not so much on the story but the gameplay was fun as hell. DMC 3 did better in story department which made it a better overall type package. If that makes sense, kinda ranting.

EDIT: I agree about the japanese departure, this game is a rarity from japanese game makers. That I agree is a good thing.

Reedoms

Noob
Well when I play games I like the experience, something great to look at, great story, characters, fun gameplay. If I want to be challenged i'll take more classes through continued education or build my body through strict diet and heavy exercise. I prefer doing challenging things in life not in a game. Challenge can be fun, but when it overshadows something that is an amazing experience it loses it's fun. It's like playing hardcore vs ladder on diablo 2, the options there if you want it. Problem with dark and demonsouls is there is little there beyond the challenge, the gameplay is relatively weak compared to more polished games, the story and characters just aren't there and it's pretty bland. If the difficulty wasn't there it would be a mediocre game.

In order to really get the story you need to talk to people instead of it just being thrust in your face. When you really get down into it, Dark Souls is pretty fucking depressing when you take in what you're doing. Besides, once you beat it, it isn't that hard at all and yet I still have loads of fun. I've got around 100 hours on 1 guy already and 20+ on my other 2 and I'm still finding new stuff.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Just beaten Smough & Orn on my level 1 pyromancer, this game is brutal, i cant put it down, theres always something new to try!

Hitoshura

Head Cage
ok weirdest thing just happened to me. I beat capra demon, fuck that asshole...hate him!, and i decide to farm for souls to get "great soul arrow" from griggs at firelink shrine.

Now im int he undead burg with 4650 souls (roughly) and near where u meet the first black night i hear a roar of a dragon and almost shit myself rolling around saying "omfg don't kill

when he was done roaring I went on killing a few undead soldiers and after I did I looked at my souls and I jumped from 4650 - 14870

wtf just happened!?

Reedoms

Noob
ok weirdest thing just happened to me. I beat capra demon, fuck that asshole...hate him!, and i decide to farm for souls to get "great soul arrow" from griggs at firelink shrine.

Now im int he undead burg with 4650 souls (roughly) and near where u meet the first black night i hear a roar of a dragon and almost shit myself rolling around saying "omfg don't kill

when he was done roaring I went on killing a few undead soldiers and after I did I looked at my souls and I jumped from 4650 - 14870

wtf just happened!?
Same thing happened on my first game.

My guess is that you had him spawned when you were far off and when he went down to blow some fire he fell through the unloaded bridge in the middle. I've found out you can kill him with 1 arrow if you are at the tower where the 2nd Black Knight is and shoot him, he'll go right through the bridge and you get a free 10k souls.

Also, I killed somebody today while invading and I got 950k souls and stole 10 humanity from him. It was glorious.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Same thing happened on my first game.

My guess is that you had him spawned when you were far off and when he went down to blow some fire he fell through the unloaded bridge in the middle. I've found out you can kill him with 1 arrow if you are at the tower where the 2nd Black Knight is and shoot him, he'll go right through the bridge and you get a free 10k souls.

Also, I killed somebody today while invading and I got 950k souls and stole 10 humanity from him. It was glorious.
how often does tht 10k happen bc if thts the case ima buy some arrow and farm like a motha fucka

Yes, you get a strange doll that you can use to get to the painted world in anor rondo.
other notable reasons for returning include the rusted iron ring, the crest shield dropped by the knight Oscar, and the stray demon boss which drops a titanite slab. there are also a few black knights added along with stronger enemies.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yea, fighting the stray demon boss is a good idea. It's an endurance match but worth it.

Meanwhile, in the Abyss...

The Four Kings boss? Now that's some scary shit.

note: I'm trying to express how I feel about stuff without giving anything away to people who haven't completed the game

Reedoms

Noob
Yea, fighting the stray demon boss is a good idea. It's an endurance match but worth it.

Meanwhile, in the Abyss...

The Four Kings boss? Now that's some scary shit.

note: I'm trying to express how I feel about stuff without giving anything away to people who haven't completed the game
Full Havel's Gear with Lightning Spear+5 made that fight a cakewalk. I just took all those hits and slapped their shit right back without getting hurt to much.
I hate when I get summoned to help out in that fight and the host doesn't have to ring to get down there. We jump down together and when we reach the bottom he just dies like an idiot.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Full Havel's Gear with Lightning Spear+5 made that fight a cakewalk. I just took all those hits and slapped their shit right back without getting hurt to much.
I hate when I get summoned to help out in that fight and the host doesn't have to ring to get down there. We jump down together and when we reach the bottom he just dies like an idiot.
Full havel's gear? how high was your endurance?

EDIT:

my current set up is:

Havel's leggings/gauntlets
gold hemmed black robe/hood
eagle shield +10
lightning spear+5
ascended pyromancy flame +5
ring of favor and protection
bellowing dragoncrest ring

Also, I got a winged spear to magic +5 and ascended it to enchanted but the stat scaling hasn't changed (E/E/C/-). It's already enchanted +3. Shouldn't it be scaling A to intelligence? what gives?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
other notable reasons for returning include the rusted iron ring, the crest shield dropped by the knight Oscar, and the stray demon boss which drops a titanite slab. there are also a few black knights added along with stronger enemies.
what level should i be on if i were to go back to the asylum

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
what level should i be on if i were to go back to the asylum
ive heard the asylum scales with level.. the stray demon isnt hard at all just stay on his ass(literally) and use a 2handed method. and just move back when he slams his club or levitates