What's new

Tech d2~HM option select

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
I don't know how many shazam players know about this, and if they do it doesnt get talked about too much.

We all know 22 gives you a free command grab setup, and I thought it was odd that i was the only string/normal that gave him a free setup. So a few weeks ago I went into practice mode and tested every possible normal into command grab setups and found that besides 22, d1 and d2 both give you a command grab setup on block.

D1 is probably well known, d1~AC is great for opponents who counter poke frequently. If they block the d1 and stand up, d1~HM will catch them. Usually people in this game like to crouch so I havent had much success with that one :p

D2 on block, like 22, gives you a free HM/AC setup. I have been using this quite a lot lately in online matches and its been proven to be effective. Some people online have been scouting out the 22~mixup and backdashing out, and this is when the d2 mixup comes in handy. Catches people off guard

Now the interesting thing is that if you are going for he d2~HM setup, lets say they get hit by the d2. The HM will whiff, but if you react fast enough, you can actually hit confirm a d1~HM MB and finish off the combo! I know this isnt the best tactic to use, and it might be only good for once or twice a match, but it may be useful in a match. Just something to play around with I guess

So the full combo would be

d2~HM (whiff), d1~HM MB, b3, j2, 2~AC for 30%

At least I think it's 30 from what I remember, maybe 31

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
It can be interrupted but it's only of the only strings ON BLOCK that actually connect his two command grabs. Some people know it can be interrupted, some people know it can be back dashed, but playing online shows most people don't have a clue how to fight shazam, so it is still viable. and if thy are back dashing it just mix up with 22~toroedo

SZSR

Noob
One thing to point out, this doesn't work at all with release check on. You'll almost always get an Atlas Torpedo is you try it like that.

So I want to understand this clearly since I am at work right now.
1. D2 > HM is it a cancel or are you waiting till D2 recovers then execting.
2. D2 > HM if they block is it safe? or can they duck it + punish?

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
So I want to understand this clearly since I am at work right now.
1. D2 > HM is it a cancel or are you waiting till D2 recovers then execting.
2. D2 > HM if they block is it safe? or can they duck it + punish?
1. d2 cancel to HM
2. yes they can duck then punish

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
Yeah it's the same as the 22~HM setup. it's a gimmick and should be used sparingly when the opponent doesn't know to look out for it. it's won me a few matches because I just throw it out at the end of a match haha

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
I found this out week 1. Good shit though... I still remember the days when I was a Shazam main. :rolleyes: