What's new

Cyrax: Where Does He Stand?

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
To be honest, at times i've even said he's the best character, based on his tools. He clearly isn't but discarding him as one of the top characters is crazy. A lot of people have a misconception on how he should be played.

He has a lot of horrible matchups (all of which are top characters) but if played well, bad matchups like Kabal are winnable. People just get caught up on what the "pros" say.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I would give that there MAY be 4-6 characters better than him, but putting him outside the Top 10 in ridiculous.
It's funny because I always have this moment when I'm talking top spots with my friends and someone says "Your only argument is that he does 75% off one bar" and my reply is always "IT'S THE ONLY ARGUMENT I NEED!" LOL. Obviously, that's not 100% true, but it does kinda shine some perspective.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I've been pickin' Cyrax lately with one of my best sparing buddies and i gotta say he is great! I am no Pro high level player by means but imo i think he stands somewhere between top 4-8 char. The Cyrax game play is developing. I've been playing this guy who fallows Cyrax threads and videos day and night since the game came out. And every tech that was released he "absorbed" and customized it to its almost maximum. Right now he dose things i didnt see in any Cyrax tournament/game videos. There are amazing resets and corner pressure i'd even call it a JAIL that we barely see anywhere. How about Anti Breaker Reset?
Imagine you have one bar at the start of the first round and by the time you use you breaker you will speed up your death by getting blown the fuck up with a bomb that will activate another part of heavy damage. If you decide to hold your breaker you might as well take it home as you wont have enough life bar to use it. Not to mention the un-breakable mass damage that he can apply.

For very long time most Cyrax players were focused to much on throwing nets and bombs till they die and aiming in most of the time to land a reset. Now good Cyrax hide those resets within solid pressure and mix up offense. And that is entirely different warrior! and he will climb high and higher tournament and tier list wise.

My friend is loosing a lot cause we are playing against each other since forever, but he is growing that yellow beast stronger everyday buy gathering everything he sees and through hard training. Day will come when he will proudly preset his killer machine as a gratitude to best players suchs as Mustard, J360, Krayzie and few others.

I've picked Cyrax and with the mu knowledge i have i've been able to kill people with this robot. I focus mainly in pressure and AA combos, then i go with some bombs destruction into set ups and it all works well. I like his mobility and those strings that has almost no - on block and minimum pushback - and that is awesome while combined with ragdolls and baz saws. The ex net is powerful tool that few has, (it is underestimated since forever btw).

Match ups against Kabal
Kabal is a killer, but playing Cyrax in offensive mode can bring success. I've been killing him for using bombs at close range and nets. This is the worst technique that could be used with kabal imo. If Cyrax get to pressure Kabal he can bait easily Ex ND and fuck him up with a 60% combo into damn reset. Kabals pressure can be interrupted with ex Ragdoll or perhaps even risky ex net (but that is only my guess for now) There are good options with d1~Ragdoll that even if blocked its safe and opens a pressure window for Cyrax as it gives minimal pushback and -0 on block (if am correct). Cyrax dosent stand a zone war (full screen) with kabal. At the end Kabal will get him anyway imo. Mid-screen its easier to trade and get that net trap. So space control is crucial in this fight.
Another key factor that leads to Kabals death is corner bomb into njp resets and ex ND bait. Honestly people, this is worse then Sub-zero's Clone fight imo.

Because of these facts and aspects I can tell that Cyrax will conquer in tourneys. All i've said is based on my fights i had in past months against Cyrax with my kabal and couple other fighters. You may agree or not, but i tell you this: Cyrax is growing stronger day by day. And even if he ends up without resets that wont change much. At this level of pressure and safe vortex, insane corner set ups and much more Cyrax is killing machine with, or without RESETS. And I have so much respect for this "new" Cyrax.

PEACE!

A Cyrax player that fishes combos by spamming Bombs and Green Nets full screen is lame.

However, a rushdown Cyrax approaching you with D1, D3, Air Grab, Ragdoll, Buzz Saw and his standing 1 is "F'ing" scary.. seriously once he touches with 11, 33, Green Net/meter draining Ex Green Net or throws in Command Grab, jip, Command Grab B2 over and over it's terrifying.

Cyrax is solid Top 10, he has too many tools that pose a threat which opens up opportunities for his high damage resets.

Oh you mean like this? :D

Cyrax is killing machine with, or without RESETS. And I have so much respect for this "new" Cyrax.
I'm with you there man. I main cyrax and up until a couple of months ago i was all about bomb and net traps (mind you, i still do but now mostly against zoners and turtlers i can trade with and as a defence mechanism) i never realised he was such a beast up close. His melee pressure is actually very good if you apply it correctly and ive had matches where my opponents (just above average players) froze up from it. People who use cyrax do need to understand that his bomb and net traps are good but its old news and his melee mix-ups into command grab, buzzsaw, ragdoll (while continuing pressure), etc.. can be very unpredictable.

Im sure that yellow beast will be on top very soon. Watch out Kabal :p

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
i really wish Cyrax never had the resets, IMO it hurts him. i feel like most people pick up Cyrax and go "alright, i learned the reset...and he needs it so fuck everything else." If he didn't have the resets people would see he can still do 60% for one bar, he has a safe 50/50, great normals, a fucking command the gives a safe jump in, and that is just what i can think off the top of my head. I mean...even if they know these things they still just fish for nets because they know they can do 80%. typing this out kinda makes me with i never dropped him =/

i can't wait to see Mustard put "he needs it" to rest

Saltea Moonspell

Before EVO we will release an interesting video i mentioned before. To be honest those who focus on resets die instantly. Those who got tough pressure are hard ones to beat. Its like the idea of doing Kabals IAGB with bring a victory, or Raiden's tele into Torpedo etc, etc/

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
vanilla cyrax > vanilla lao???? who is in turn better than kabal??
:>

Saltea Moonspell

vanilla cyrax > vanilla lao???? who is in turn better than kabal??
:>
Kabal seems to be S+ only in @Reo's hands. For some reason others cant make that far with so called Top char - Kabal. Wonder why?
But this thread is about Cyrax, not Kabal nor KL or any other. So lets keep the track.

I'd say Cyrax will bounce in top 7 no sweat.