What's new

Cyber Sub-Zero General Strategy & Discussion

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
This thread is for all Cyber Sub-Zero gameplay discussion that does not involve combos and/or juggled. For example, discussion of individual moves and their properties, "Top 10 Move" lists, CSZ match theory, etc.

I will edit this post once I've unlocked the character when the game is released. Feel free to start discussion if you already have the character unlocked. Use Spoiler tags as necessary.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Well I unlocked him already. He will be my secondary.
Not much to say yet since this is the first time I get to sit down with him but so far
Got a dive kick similiar to Kung Lao's. Two versions a short and a long distance one. I use the long to pass over an opponents head quickly if they react late with an uppercut, leaving their backs turned.
Bombs can be useful for a bait or two near as I can tell, his teleport is ok, I just kinda use it to get outta the way of projectile spam. He's also got a slide (I usually use it to end combos, EX one adds and extra hit and knocks em pretty far away to the opposite side. Works ok to get out of a corner IF you hit it) and of course he has the freeze.
Currently he looks to me to play like a mix of sub-zero and cyrax. I'll see what he's all about starting now.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Sup Vegeta. Lots of tekken people up in here.

Back on topic, he plays like a weaker Cyrax.

Because of the way bombs work, they are useless for oki, so the only legit way they can be used is to just throw them out randomly to bait jumps. If they jump back, freeze. If they jump forward, uppercut if in range, freeze if far. If they jump forward attack, ice parry or uppercut. If they stay grounded and move, slide. Freeze may also be an option (if they block it, at least block stun leaves them standing in place as opposed to advancing/retreating, which can give more time/room to throw more bombs). Only other way I see bombs being used is if it's thrown out, teleport, then block string them into the bomb. Teleport is unsafe, so use sparingly or if opponent always jumps back after a bomb is thrown (if they jump back, they won't land in time to punish teleport). Pretty much the standard bomb setups we all know.

He has a few solid strings that can be used for mix-ups, but they all begin with 3. Due to the bomb/buffering issue his ability to rush in and apply those mix-ups are crippled. If the opponent is in the corner though, it's all good. Mid-screen, all his mix-up options combo into slide or more for extra damage. If you can bait a fireball and teleport, free mix-up.

Damage output is average, for the most part. Not much to add here.

Mid range distance is the ideal place to be because of instant far divekick. Random iFDKs keep people who like to hit buttons honest.

Because of the nature of the xray, I personally use meter more for ex freeze. If the opportunity is there and I have full meter, of course I will xray, but I prefer the versatility of ex freeze in any other situation.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Technically I'm an MK player, played since 1 lol but not high profile competitive like I do tekken (this will change now though) anyway lol,
Yeah I noticed the bomb problem thing BUT, on pad I can just hit R1 for a dash throw at least. I don't use bombs to freeze either, I found it's easier, as you said to use em to bait an opponent. His X-ray does seem a bit "obvious" too, I only use it to whiff punish if I absolutely need to, cuz lets face it, if he's jumping back he's usually gonna either do nothing, teleport or dive kick and you can block all of em and react to a teleport so...sneaking in an X-Ray won't happen lol. He's still fun for me though. That dashing 3 string not working sure kills a lot of good ideas though

Has anyone tried doing a guard cancel on their dash to try and deter bombs from coming out? My ps3 literally JUST died today so i gotta wait before i test stuff but, that may be a way to "cheat" the bomb problem.

EDIT: nvm i just read the actual thread on the bomb "bug". Maybe the seme objective can be applied in a different manner? What other ways do we kno of that can cancel a dash with minimal interuption to move inputs?

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Not too sure just yet, Last few days while PSN has been down I've just focused on getting my main (scorpion) together and figured jade is the next logical choice since In a few tournaments I know ppl won't have cyber-sub unlocked. I'm gonna trully take a serious crack at him next week.
Side Note- His EX bomb is ok, shoots out 3, I like that, noticed most ppl panic jump right into a beating with those.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
What other ways do we kno of that can cancel a dash with minimal interuption to move inputs?
Tapping back while still in forward dash animation then hitting 3 stops the bomb from coming out, and there's no extra delay like if you dash cancel with block. This is actually very easy to do. Easy enough that a fix from NRS is not required. There are other games where there are characters have that same properties with some moves and people have worked around them just fine.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Tapping back while still in forward dash animation then hitting 3 stops the bomb from coming out, and there's no extra delay like if you dash cancel with block. This is actually very easy to do. Easy enough that a fix from NRS is not required. There are other games where there are characters have that same properties with some moves and people have worked around them just fine.
I'll be sure and test that. Make it muscle memory. Should be easy (especially for those of us that play tekken)

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
According to Tom Brady, Ice Bomb not freezing is not because of a freeze cool down time. It actually doesn't freeze when the opponent is in vulnerability frames eg: While the opponent is being hit, while the opponent is on wake up, etc.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
Cyber sub is pretty awesome, I take back my negativity about him.

My fav moves:
Ice counter:3
Instant dive kick
Teleport ( unsafe but good for mixups )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice i'll have to mess with the tapping back, i find that dash forward 3,3 or 3,4 coud be a very dangerous space closer. Thanks for the input SWBeta.

yeah cyber sub has overtaken ermac as my main in this game, he's just too much fun to play with. He feels like one of the most "rush downy" characters in the game.

one question i have(i've tried tinkering with the record options in training mode but doing it by yourself is slightly annoying) is there any height where hitting a dive kick on block or on whiff is safe?

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Well, whiffing is generally unsafe no matter where on the screen you are, so it's best not to whiff.

As for connecting on block, the lower the jump is before dive kick hits, the further away csz will jump back. So basically, iDKs are safer on block than a full jump DK. I know that no single attacks can hit him. I haven't tested to see if he can block before a fast string can connect or if a fast special/projectile can punish. I'm 99% sure EX Shadow Kick from Johnny Cage will punish it. So best to know your match ups before deciding how to utilize DKs.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
argh....online his 3,4 3,3 mixups r impossible due to the bomb >_<
When you dash in and want to apply 3-series mixups, just quickly tap back during the forward dash animation before inputing any 3-series move. Problem solved.

When you dash in and want to apply 3-series mixups, just quickly tap back during the forward dash animation before inputing any 3-series move. Problem solved.
You can also tap and release Block before the 3. Just need to make sure you release Block so you don't E. Bomb.