What's new

Custom Fight-Stick builder Request

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I am looking on this forum for a fightstick builder.
Please dont give me a site to people who make them i just want to do this within here. it gives the stick more personal value to my then if I buy one from a site shop or something.

Please contact my through this thread if you are willing to help me. After the preliminary details are finished I will give you the address and well discuss payment.

I make my own fightstick art via photoshop and i sell too for 1.50 USD a piece
Ty in advance

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I might but it will be a month or two. I did the Frankenstein mod on the pdp stick and am currently working on my first two sticks from scratch.

My question for you, since you do your own art for sticks is: Do you have a way of printing on custom acrylic or fiberglass, or do you have a supplier of custom sizes and shapes of acrylic or fiber glass that you have used that you can put the artwork under? I'm just stuck with this part of the process.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Yes we have a shop here at vcu. he is an example of the type of stick im lookin for
But the buttons are on the left side and the joysick are butons in keyboard format
can that be done at a cost effecient price

Yes we have a shop here at vcu. he is an example of the type of stick im lookin for
But the buttons are on the left side and the joysick are butons in keyboard format
So basically a cost effective Hitbox ;).

Sentry_Gun

Target Acquired
Wow, that's an amazing stick, I wish I knew how to make arcade sticks like that. I want one now lol.

aj1701

Noob
Don't think there's anyone here doing commission work, most people I see get referred to Arcade In A Box
Ya, he does assembly them by hand as well. I think that's the closest you'll get to hand crafted. The time you spend waiting is proof they aren't rolled off an assembly line. :)

I just got one, and I love it. The quality is great, and its a lot of fun. Now if I can just master control of the stick..

kandehbar

The Gryphon
ok now that i saw what a hit box was thats the kind of stick i want

A hitbox thats slim like the link i sent

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Any one have a good source for custom acrylic work?(cnc cutting from solid stock is a must)I'm workin on a very ambitious one off stickless arcade box. I'll edit the post with s 3D model here in a few.

-b_s- :headbang:

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Hiya Kandehbar!!!

Have you considered actually building one m8? I can understand if you can't due to time contstraints or if you don't feel confident. If you have a timber merchant or someone like that near you, just plan out measurements and then take your measurements to the timber merchant and ask him if you can have the pieces from off-cuts. They will be a lot cheaper.

I've got a picture on my profile I think, so you can see where abouts I'm up to and I have no DIY experience at all!!!. All my stuff was professionally cut because I don't trust myself with a jigsaw. The measurements for my box are 14" x 7" x 2.5" but you can make it smaller. If you are interested in making one, I can write down for you exactly what I did..... Mine is a little different though because I am going to put an LED in there so that when the box is plugged in, the box will light up, so instead of having 1 layer of perspex bolted to wood, I have 2 layers of perspex with the graphic inbetween. Just take your time with it and when it is done and fully functional, it will be worth it because it was created by yourself, so it has your own personal touch to it ;)

I wish I could help you out by building one, but I can only give the process I did to make one as I can't make and sell this due to the fact that,the guys at Hitbox™ have their idea down and to be making and selling these things for me would be wrong as the guys have built their business from the ground up. Also they have trademarked the layout ;)...... But I will be more than happy to chat / help / discuss my process with anyone who is interested in building one!!

Hiya Kandehbar!!!

Have you considered actually building one m8? I can understand if you can't due to time contstraints or if you don't feel confident. If you have a timber merchant or someone like that near you, just plan out measurements and then take your measurements to the timber merchant and ask him if you can have the pieces from off-cuts. They will be a lot cheaper.

I've got a picture on my profile I think, so you can see where abouts I'm up to and I have no DIY experience at all!!!. All my stuff was professionally cut because I don't trust myself with a jigsaw. The measurements for my box are 14" x 7" x 2.5" but you can make it smaller. If you are interested in making one, I can write down for you exactly what I did..... Mine is a little different though because I am going to put an LED in there so that when the box is plugged in, the box will light up, so instead of having 1 layer of perspex bolted to wood, I have 2 layers of perspex with the graphic inbetween. Just take your time with it and when it is done and fully functional, it will be worth it because it was created by yourself, so it has your own personal touch to it ;)

I wish I could help you out by building one, but I can only give the process I did to make one as I can't make and sell this due to the fact that,the guys at Hitbox™ have their idea down and to be making and selling these things for me would be wrong as the guys have built their business from the ground up. Also they have trademarked the layout ;)...... But I will be more than happy to chat / help / discuss my process with anyone who is interested in building one!!
Hey man, I've been really interested in purchasing a HitBox. Though, my story is a bit different. I want to make my VERY first investment into something worthwhile, and I'm really debating between an Arcade Stick or a HitBox. I really like the HitBox, but I'm paranoid, and worried that it will be not worthwhile out of MK9. What I mean by that is, any game that involves more than just directional inputs such as SF, MvC, Etc, I will get screwed over, I assume? I'm thinking that will I be better off overall by purchasing a stick.

I really want to know people's experience using the HitBox, and is it just as effective as Stick? Trying to get as much advice and information as much as I can.

I also, don't mind building one myself, but I want a 360 one, and possibly Dual Modded for PS3. I can probably get the box cut from Home Depot or something, but anything from the circuit boards, wiring, seems very complex, not to mention, I want to add custom art. I'd for sure, DIY, if I know what to do. How much will it generally cost me?

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Hey man, I've been really interested in purchasing a HitBox. Though, my story is a bit different. I want to make my VERY first investment into something worthwhile, and I'm really debating between an Arcade Stick or a HitBox. I really like the HitBox, but I'm paranoid, and worried that it will be not worthwhile out of MK9. What I mean by that is, any game that involves more than just directional inputs such as SF, MvC, Etc, I will get screwed over, I assume? I'm thinking that will I be better off overall by purchasing a stick.

I really want to know people's experience using the HitBox, and is it just as effective as Stick? Trying to get as much advice and information as much as I can.

I also, don't mind building one myself, but I want a 360 one, and possibly Dual Modded for PS3. I can probably get the box cut from Home Depot or something, but anything from the circuit boards, wiring, seems very complex, not to mention, I want to add custom art. I'd for sure, DIY, if I know what to do. How much will it generally cost me?
I am under your tutalage
Ok guys, thanks for the replies!! First of all Karried, I can't really help bro with the Dual Modding side of it, but I can talk you through the process I would do to build one and for both you guys, I'll try to be as through and as helpful as I can!!!

I have a template saved of the Hitbox™ style layout. Its not set in stone, but its pretty close as the dimensions are exactly the same as on the Hitbox™. I can mail you guys this if you like. It gives a rough idea on what your graphics will look like and also you can try to experimient with different coloured buttons to get an idea on what your buttons and layout are going to be like!

My base is made from MDF each panel is about 8mm thick, so its quite thin, even the base, but you can get thicker MDF or other wood, but I found MDF was pretty ok to drill through ( I originally tried plywood, but when I painted it, it looked rubbish)

If you are going for the actual Hitbox™ layout then the dimensions of the whole box are 12" x 6" x 2". I made mine 2.5 inches high due to the fact the buttons are going in so Ihave space for the wires and Cthulhu board.

The whole length of my box is about 14.8" and the width is about 8 inches and the height is 2.5".

The box is made up of the following components

1 x Base 14.8" x 8" . ~ MDF has a thickness of 8mm
2 x Side Panels 8" x 2.5" MDF has a thickness of 8mm
2 x Front and Back panels 14" x 2.5" MDF has a thickness of 8mm

2 x Perspex / Plexiglass 14" x 7" This is so I can put a graphic inbetween them

Note, the side panels on mine sit flush on top of the base. If you wish to have your side panels surrounding the base (like a border around the outside), then you have to take into account for this and make your panels a little longer and taller.

The front and back panels are slightly smaller so that they fit inbetween the side panels when they are affixed to the base!! The back panel though is not flush with the rear of the box.... it comes in a little bit. It was a design flaw on my part, but it didn't really affect the box too badly. When I put both perspex / plexiglass sheets in, it didn't really line up, so I pushed the back in until it was against the side of the plexiglass and then drew a line on the base so that I knew where I had to put it.

My MDF has a thickness of 8mm, so please take the thickness of your wood into account when setting up your joystick!!!!!

I'm going to have to stop the post here as I have to get some sleep guys, but I will update this post over a couple of days with the whole process, the buttons and other things.

Take it easy guys and peace!!

~D.Kobra

aj1701

Noob
What I mean by that is, any game that involves more than just directional inputs such as SF, MvC, Etc, I will get screwed over, I assume? I'm thinking that will I be better off overall by purchasing a stick.

Hey, i wouldn't worry about it. The hitbox was originally demoed playing SF, so I know you should be fine there. I would assume the same would be true of MvC as well. So no, you're not going to be screwed if you get a hitbox.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Sorry about the delay guys, had a bit on... Splitting up with my ex and so forth.... So not had the chance to reply, but I can do so now ;)

I've done a change since I last wrote, I no longer have the 2 sheets of perspex, I now only have the one. What I am doing is I now have a 6mm thick piece of MDF which is 14" x 7", basically you want it the same size as the perspex. But I will write my method in the form that I had done when I used 2 sheets of perspex.

I placed the Home button on the left hand side of the stick and the Start and Select buttons on the right hand side, as I felt most comfortable with this. Each hole in the sides I drilled was using a 30mm spade drill bit. The distance usually between 30mm buttons is around 39mm from center to center. This gives a little room as the buttons have a bit of a lip on them with the border and so forth.

For the back piece (the USB holder), I picked this up from Maplin for about £4.50, I think that for anyone in the US, you can get it from Radio Shack, but not too sure . I drilled a hole of 24mm in the back of the panel and it fitted perfectly.

To measure the holes, I put my hand on a piece of paper and made some marks as to where my fingers would go. I did this for all 12 buttons on the perspex. The distance on some of my buttons are a little out, but if you go to http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html, they suggest if your using 24mm buttons, then you measure about 29mm from the center of the first button to the center of the second. This apparently gives the perfect spacing for the buttons, so place have a look there.

After making the marks, I placed a compass with a 12mm radius on the marks I made and drew the 24mm circles apart from the Jump button which had a 15mm radius. After drawing out the circles, I measured where the middle of the circle was and drew a horizontal line. I did the same process for the vertical, so that I had drawn a 'cross' shape. The centre of the cross is where I would be drilling.

To drill the holes in the Perspex, I lined up the sheets of perspex as accurately as possible and then put masking tape over the top of the perspex on the top layer and also put masking tape on the back of the bottom layer. I did this as it helps stop the perspex cracking when drilling through it.

To indicate on the perpex where I would be drilling, I made a mark, by lining up the paper and perspex and used a needle to put a mark through each hole, so that an imprint would be made onto the perspex, so I would know where I was going to drill.

At this point, the perspex / plexiglass had all the marks where I was going to drill. I used a Spade drill bit 24mm to trill the holes in the perspex. Note: When drilling the holes, please take it slow and steady, that way you wont melt any of the perspex due to friction and you won't crack it. The masking tape helps re-enforce the perspex, but still should be drilled very very slowly as you are using a wooden drill bit.

I did this for all 12 buttons on the top. It took me a while and may take you a while, but just persevere with it and all shoud be fine. Once all 8 hols are drilled, now it's time for the graphic. You may be able to print it off yourself and place it in between the sheets of perspex or between the perspex and MDF, depending on which option you go for ;) and also the size of your Hitbox™ Style controller. The standard size is 12" x 6", so your printer may print out fine. When I tried it, it was short the first time I did it.

I took my image that I had done to a printing place. These are places that will probably print banners for partys/ anniversaries and things like that. As mine was 14" x 7", I had to get it printed on A3 as it was too big. If you have a smaller controller, then if it is below A4, you should be able to print off normally and use that!!!!!

I placed the graphic inbetween the perspex sheets and then turned the MDF over, so I was looking at the back. I took a pencil used the holes in the MDF as a template to draw the circles where my buttons were going to be passing through.. Once I drew the holes, I took the graphic, placed it on a cutting board and the carefully used a scalpel to cut 4 lines to split the circle into 8 segments. My advise is not to cut those individual segments because I did it and the holes look terrible!!!

When cutting, I go from the middle of the circle to just before the border edge, as when you push a buttong through the gap, it may tear a little, just something to be aware of!! Once all the lines are cut, there are 8 segments. You don't need to cut these, because when you put the button in there, the button will push the segments to the side, therefore no more cutting is required!!!

I haven't done the wiring as of yet, so I will stop the post here. Hopefully this may have been a help to you guys and when I get the wiring done, I will write more to explain what I did.

Depending on if this goes well and if people learn from it, I will re-write it as a guide, but at this stage I'm not going to do so because I want it to help people and work for people first!!

Take it easy all!!!

~Kobra

Snarfulz

Noob
I am looking on this forum for a fightstick builder.
Please dont give me a site to people who make them i just want to do this within here. it gives the stick more personal value to my then if I buy one from a site shop or something.

Please contact my through this thread if you are willing to help me. After the preliminary details are finished I will give you the address and well discuss payment
I make my own fightstick art via photoshop and i sell too for 1.50 USD a piece
Ty in advance
E-mail me, I can make you a stick, dual moded if you like, let me know. All i do is customs for myself and friends, always trying to raise the bar. I can make stick cheap that work or use top of the line stuff that kick ass. Wood, custom paint, I also am a graphic designer and can do the graphics, or you can e-mail me the graphics and I can have them printed out. I dont print graphic on paper, I reverse print on clear vinyl the white out the back, with a plexi overlay. I will design a stick that is based on what you want, not just the generic cookie cutter crap thats out there.

wireless ps3

ssf4