What's new

Match-up Discussion CURRENT Match-Up Discussion Post V1.06 Patch

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual

MATCH-UP DISCUSSION POST PATCH

(WORK IN-PROGRESS)

(I might've missed some information in the other thread since it's 18+ pages so if anyone wants to point out anything feel free. Also, I'll credit what you contribute to this thread from here on out. It was too complicated to do with the other thread.)

Spring is around the corner as is the first-year anniversay of IGAU so what better time to do a little spring cleaning? In an effort to combine things discussed in the Match-Up thread into a useful reference, I've gone to the effort of compiling recent relevant discussion. I don't care if this get's canabalized / merged into the similar thread because it's all in the spirit of creating an actual USEABLE quick reference. The other thread in it's current state is severely incomplete.

To be clear, most of this is just lifted conversation at the moment but can be rewritten more concretely if/when people start contributing. I might just search some known "Match-Up Cops" to help provide more credible technical information.

Also for clarification: Discussing a Match-Up is VASTLY more involved than people seem to acknowledge.
  • Simply debating matchup-numbers doesn't really do a whole lot without explanation. CONTEXT makes all the difference.
  • Discussing strategies for FAVORABLE or EVEN Match-Ups are also important. If you have effective strategies that work, please share them. That's how we further flesh-out this game.
  • This list is a TOOL as much as it is a place for discussion. The end goal is not simply to hash out a numeric tier list but provide a USEABLE reference on how to fight / strategize against match-up's.
Also note that if you manage to place Top 8 with WW at a major you're obligated to perform this song, with no musical accompaniment, and excessive amounts of pelvic thrusts.

*GENERAL Strategy Discussion -

Mid screen

Any starter -> 23 -> b3 -> dash fwd -> delay f3 slightly (so they land in front of you)

This will restand the opponent right in your face. Works magnificently against large hitbox characters and I've gotten to work on superman and black Adam once each. This is where I could use some help, because I can't consistently land it on smaller characters.

Something else I found which perhaps is also useful (I use it as a setup)

Mid screen

Any starter -> 23 -> b3 -> dash fwd 2x (twice!) -> then b3.

It's an OTG that will hit them into a literal full combo with potential juggle opportunities (does not have any combo restrictions!)

Blocking and low and opposite direction can block it though, but thrown in with the regular F3 setup and crossover setup then you've got yourself a pretty sick ass mind game.”

STAGE Strategy Discussion -
“She's a pretty good all-rounder so any stage that suits a power character (Arkham etc) suits her. I personally like themyscira just cause it's her home and we make good use of the interactables, the tree shanigans are so much fun, plus she has a good mind game at the start with every character not named GL, MM, Sinestro... “

“I would say Themyscira is her best stage. Her interactables xontrol is very good, i actually have unblockable 50/50's in the corner. After a crossup OTG in the tree side... Do B2~tree interectable or 33~interactable, after they get hit you get another OTG that outs them in the corner. ”

APPENDIX references (Links / Threads that can benefit strategy)

* Wakeups and You! - @AK Glass_Sword's universal guide to stuffing wakeups.

* Aquaman has trouble against shield stance, as well as certain knockdown setups in Lasso that prevent his water shield wakeup and open him up to 5050s, once he's cornered he is also in a fair bit of trouble against both stances.

Shield stance will probably end up being more trouble for him, since I've just today found out ways to make raw shield charges safe to moves like his F1 and B1, even safe to Supermans F2 AND Flashes 6f flying uppercut.

Its hard for him to open you up so long as you just block low and teach yourself to react to his overheads.
Batman juts D3 all match like a tard, mash 11 while ducking everytime he presses anything other than B23.

* "Aqauman is very very very susceptible to lasso parry.
Online is clearly harder to do.. but instead of just blocking his stuff... you parry and punish. This also makes him waste his trait when he doesn't want to.”

“if they are trident happy jumping airdashing and late demi goddess might works pretty well. If they are trying to use the range on his normals thats fine because b2 snuffs it. Since a lot of his damage comes from MB combos the clash is almost always in your favor. As for his trait if he uses it ill just try and stay in with b1/33 pressure or tick throw to kill the time on his trait. If he traits up before the launch in b113 be sure to trait into bf3~mb to maintain pressure on him.”

None discussed. Info needed.

Both players need to know the ins and outs. Wonder Woman has the same issue on the ground as most do. she CAN'T get up. Also has to deal with Bane's footsie game. Getting on him can be frustrating with his d1, d2 range etc. Basically the regular Bane bs.

But she also has a lot of answers. D3 is really solid. Anything parried is a full combo punish. Her damage output is insane, especially on venom. and her oki CAN work. Basically the input reversals, airdashes etc. It's not the most reliable, but when you do 40% meterless with great mobility it makes up for it. B2 is also an awesome tool in this match, to keep him at bay. ~ @BiPolarExxpress

Batgirl's zoning shouldn't be too much of a problem. From full-screen you can walk forward and jump over her projectiles on reaction. As long as you don't jump without reason you shouldn't take any unnecessary damage. For her wake-ups, if she keeps trying to use cartwheel/smoke bomb you can beat both options by dashing, waiting a half-second and doing a j2 after a lasso grab knockdown. This loses to flying bat (df2) but it forces her to use her more unsafe wake-up option. I should note that while it is possible to beat her wake-up cartwheel with b2/33, the timing is really tight so it's probably not worth going for. If you can get it down then props to you. Smoke bomb gets stuffed easily, though no one good should be waking up with it unless you're in the air.

Speaking of cartwheel, you want to make absolutely sure that you punish it whenever possible. If you think she's going to go for the low ender, you have to block the cartwheel standing and switch to low block before the last hit; otherwise you'll be out of range for your d1~spin punish. For the overhead ender it doesn't matter how you block the cartwheel itself so you'll always get b113 into a combo. The high ender requires you to block cartwheel crouching because if you don't, you're still forced to block it and she's at +8. On whiff you can punish with the string of your choosing. If possible you want to avoid this guessing game, though. When you don't trust your ability to guess right in that situation, you're probably better off forgoing oki entirely since WoWo's neutral game is better anyway.

At mid-range she has to respect your normals just like most of the cast and it shouldn't be that easy to get in. A lot of Batgirl players get away with dashing up and going for a 50/50, but this shouldn't work if you train yourself to react to dashes with something like d1 or 11. d2 handles her jump-ins just fine, but she can bait it by jumping and using smoke bomb when you try to anti-air. It's very risky but it does work from time to time. Just something to be aware of. ~ @Drizzle

“I say batman just because with good trait management, and proper bat usage it can be hard to get pressure going on him. Reno has gotten amazing at annihilating me if I ever jump at him, forcing me to a grounded game where I think with trait he is at advantage. Another pesky thing about bats is his ability to get out of the corner all but free with the bomb interactables. Not saying its unwinnable or anything just I definitely think its in his favor.”

“I never said jump at Batman, you never need to leave the ground. D3 goes under trait anywhere on the screen, so I have no idea what your idea of 'proper' trait management is. It's not like my training partner doesn't main Batman either.
D3 beats all strings bar B23, AND his trait, I've said it so many times, why would you do anything else against Batman until you hit him with it so you can mount offense? Considering he sucks at getting off the ground, there's no way I'd say its his favour.”

“I haven't found Batman to be too bad yet. The fact that she can sweep or parry batarangs, then just patiently move in seems pretty good. If he starts rushing you down you can just block it until he opens himself up. His B112 whiffs the 2nd hit a LOT on her for some reason, so you can punish with d1 xx spin, and there's no way that he can jump at you.”

None discussed relevant to the "normalized" post-V.106 patch Black Adam. Info needed.

That knife cuts both ways dude. WW's WU's are terrible against a solid CW. If I don't beat them outright, I can low profile them or avoid them with certain jumping normals and have a free punish after you leave yourself wide open. The only thing WW has over CW is air mobility. But yea both have their dirt. It's a fun battle either way.
Nah things WW has over CW:
- Range (B1 and B2)
- More continuous offense
- Anti airs
- A safe -2 projectile (instant trait shield toss)
- Crossovers midscreen
- OTGs (but this is kinda useless against CW)​
A competent WW shouldnt lose in the neutral game to a CW. They're both good when they get their stuff going, but WW is better cause she always has 3 options and never has to worry about catching backdashes, where as CW only has 2, and still needs an option to stop backdashes.”

“CW has good HKD setups, and both characters can nullify the others wakeups, but WW has much better HKD setups since she gets a crossover attempt as well, on top of that, if CW guesses wrong WW can get out and back to range, which she has more of. If WoWo guesses wrong on the first attempt, doesnt matter, she'll either be +2 and set herself up for either a backdash punish or a frame trap.

WW is just a better version of CW tbh.

Also, she's not designed to get ahead and stay ahead. She's designed to kill you once she makes you start guessing. It only takes 1 hit from a B2 to start up all her bullshit.

Other than that she's an all round solid character with no real weakness.

Her D3 isnt punishable by D1 cat claws anyway, blocked D3s can make D1s whiff within her B113 range, so thats not the way to respond really.”​

“It turns out you can actually d3 under all of Catwoman's wakeup attacks except trait. If you time it early, cat dash actually whiffs right in front of you and you can get a full combo with b113.”

Nothing discussed. Need more info.

Nothing discussed post-patch.

Last edited:

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
* with doomsday you have to parry most of his moves so you can get into their heads. down hold me for this but i think you can parry most of his wake ups except for earth shaker. when he goes into trait, go into shield stance and just d1 him for days. he really cant do much.

* Nothing discussed. More information needed.

* How can green arrow control the pace in the match up btw? Lol that doesnt even make any sense. B2 has more range than anything he doesn't, he can't abuse jump 3 because d2 anti airs him CLEAN, he can't zone, he does no damage, if he dashes forward to do d1 arrow you can do d12 ex tiara ON REACTION. I don't see how green arrow controls the match at all. I kinda knew the match was bad before playing against green arrow and when I played Chris g it was pretty bad he couldn't win once.”

“Try this. Go training mode and record the computer GA to dash forward then crouch block or d1. Try to punish the dash with d12 ex tiara and get used to it I promise no one will ever dash forward towards you.”

* Only when he has the life lead. In shield, if gl has to come to ww he's going to have a rough time.”

“Shield bash out ranges b1 my friend. Badger him with toss as well.”

“Alright I get that, but initially ww has to get to him first for the life lead, and approaching him when his b1 out footsies you, and max range lift being pretty much safe against her. If they both have the same amount of health wouldn't u say its in his favor.”

“Isn't max range lift punishable by bash? And I would say don't approach, pester him with toss and make him chase you. I'd say it's slight advantage to him simply because you need to find a way into shield stance with some meter. But then once wonder woman gets in with either stance and gets shit going, she is at a huge advantage and once she has a life lead the neutral game is in her advantage. So that's where it evens out, at least imo.”

* “You can also backdash out of b1 on block and punish air rocket with air straight tiara or ground straight shield. Online or mid level its green lanterns favor for sure because its b1 and lift v your b2 and dash 33 which is unfavorable. Ss is my pref for this matchup but if its a tourney i am def going sinestro or ds to avoid having to outplay to win and avoid zoning to win and rather just outplay”

* “Stay grounded and use shield stance correctly. WW is one of the few characters who can punish Lanterns Might from sweep distance using shield bash. Also GL can whiff punish B2 for free be careful”

Nothing discussed. More information needed.

Last edited:

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
* I find tiara situational and inefficient. Switch to sword and shield. J2 if you're close and shield toss if you aren't. Shield bash against it also works.

That's assuming if they're are no mines out. IADG (instant meaning safe) comes out fast enough to kill his mines and probes on reaction.

And I also play very patiently because Lex has 8,000 holes in his strings and some of them recover horrendously.

* If you're good on timing you can block the wakeup and punish or block preemptively and chase with whip if you don't see the charge come out (remember it's not invincible if he doesn't use it as a wakeup)”

Need more information on the main man.

* But I have noticed that IADG is great in the neutral game, which ignores a lot of his zoning. But MMH is just as good as he is from far away to up close. Frame traps and abuse on his poor wakeup against WW is what I try to stick to; any other ideas?

Get used to parrying 22b3. He can mix it up with 22~EX orb but I'm pretty sure you can react since the start-up on the last hit is pretty long. Once you make him lose 45% for trying that he'll probably stop. Also keep in mind that if he does j3~teleport it'll cross you up. He can also set up cross-up teleport after push or when he lays down an orb on your wake-up. If you do block the cross-up, punish with d1, b113, b1, b113~lasso.”

* “Does he having invincible frames after landing the overhead teleport? I noticed when I dash forward, sometimes my b113 will go through him (annoying because it leads to a punish). Just delay it a second I'm guessing?

You can just do b1, b113, b1, b113~lasso for 37% instead. Far more reliable.”

* “What do you guys do on wake up with orb pressure? I wake up on interactibles and semi guess (low unless I see the overhead fists).

Block.”

* “So uh, you can actually sweep under MMH's wakeup push and get a full combo punish on that too. Just throwing that out there. It might work on Zod's bf3 as well since d3 already beats it, but I haven't been able to check as I don't have him.”

do you mean like whiff it then into like d12 ex tiara, do you gotta dash up or anything?

The push will whiff and you'll recover sooner than him, netting you a punish with d1 xx spin or b113.”

*Wowo beats nw 6-4.

Lasso beats escrima badly
Staff beats lasso
Shield beats staff
Escrima beats shield

Air dash mixups or whatever you want to call them fuck escrima up since his anti airs are terribad. B1 pressure is also effective against nw since his d1 is 9 frames, he has to use his 1, which is 6 frames but it's a high. Also there are other options that are in your favor (getting hit by 112, blocking 113, etc) if you manage to block 112 nw gets a free b2 into a "mixup" which she handles well.

D3 wrecks escrima nw. On knockdown she can d3 under a wakeup escrima fury and punish with 11 spin. If nw wakes up with Flipkick d3 avoids it and she gets pressure at least. ~ @RM Chongo.

Nothing discussed. More information needed

Nothing discussed. More information needed

* Against Shazam make sure you always do the full combo on him and end with lasso grab, dash up twice and use B2 trait:

- If he teleports towards reverse into shield bash.
- If he teleports away trait into shield toss.

If you're certain he will teleport away you can punish it by dashing in twice and jumping forward with J2 and full combo him.”

“Dash then block (double dashes ok of he's really far but be aware of shazam's throwing out their charge or lightning), his starters as well but a lot of them are very risky.

* Charge is literally unsafe anywhere that isn't from up close. If you're opponent has hit the corner, try positioning yourself far enough away so you can discourage a forward teleport and a charge (punishable).

When I see the Shazam teleport spam I tend to want to rush in and smoke em out but that isn't always the case so sometimes you've got to take it slowly and read if another teleport is coming or an attack.

Basic blocking will stop that nonsense and teleporting yourself into a corner against someone with an OTG; well. “

* Stay on the ground when he has his trait up, and play slow, generally they'll waste their 3trait shots. MB3 helps alot in this matchup too. He's one of my harder matchups with WoWo.”

Wtf do you do vs sinestro? Pantience isnt my strongest attribute but goddamn his back dash, b13, and late mb straight rocks fuck me up.

He can't MB rocks on whiff.
The way to make him stop doing b13 is to punish it. Use 11~lasso spin and use your biggest combo off of it. After you punish it a couple times, they'll stop doing that unsafe shit and you can move in a little more from mid range.
Air dashing over his head doesn't work vs arachnid sting because for some reason it hits behind his head.
Just be careful from long range. That's where he wants you. Once his trait is up, they'll think they can do anything. IADG is faster than Pew. You still can't be reckless, but it's good to know.”

* Superman-Wonder Woman is 5-5. He can't throw out lasers all willy nilly because of the instant air Demigoddess, but if he successfully baits one out, it's full combo punishable. B2>F2, so Superman has to be smart about his approach and guess correctly on her starter options: 33, B2, B1, D12, etc. This match always comes down to who's the better player. ~ @Emperor DMS

*"D3 low profiling everything Superman does" ~ @Emperor DMS

Not discussed beyond the fact that two scantly-clad Amazonian women tying one another up is super, super sexy.

Not discussed. Needs more information.

* “What bad match ups? Only matchup I'd place on the "Show some respect" list of matches is Zod; but only because he has so many options against WW just because of the fact that he can zone Wonder Woman full screen all day. This matters because WW is godly upfront (this is why she goes even with the entire cast; once she's in, she's tough and her game is constantly going). If WW can't get close easily enough then it's going to be a tough fight. Honestly you have to block accordingly and try to IADG if you ever get the chance. Avoid double dashing and parry when you can. This might be kind of tough for you to do now but you can Air demigoddess through his fireballs (MB) in the air. Air dashes also get punished really well by Zod. When you do get in close, he doesn't really have a reliable OH, so you can almost always block low.

* IA air dashes (or low air dashes) are freaking sick as hell on Zod, so if you can work that out to get them out, it's godsend. His charge is insanely punishable so don't ever let him throw it out for free. Crossing up works on wakeup but you risk the chance of Zod charging and being out of your range again so be wary. Don't forget that tiara can help you up close to stop trait activation, zoning, etc when you're in Diana's "deadzone." If you're close enough it could even lead to a full combo. Keep your mind open and Diana's infinite possibilities refreshed.”

* “As for zod... I think he wins because basically he is a good character whos tools are all valid and useful against WW; trait mixups, zoning game, corner escapes, guarenteed interactables, etc etc. Another thing with this MU is that it is one that punishes any mistakes biiiiig time. If you dash into just one jump back zod charge MB you give him full screen with trait and all the bs that comes with it. Not to mention full screen he can trait whenever he wants for free. Also let's not forget his backdash lol”

Last edited:

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Wowo beats nw 6-4.

Staff beats lasso
Shield beats staff
Escrima beats shield

Air dash mixups or whatever you want to call them fuck escrima up since his anti airs are terribad. B1 pressure is also effective against nw since his d1 is 9 frames, he has to use his 1, which is 6 frames but it's a high. Also there are other options that are in your favor (getting hit by 112, blocking 113, etc) if you manage to block 112 nw gets a free b2 into a "mixup" which she handles well.

D3 wrecks escrima nw. On knockdown she can d3 under a wakeup escrima fury and punish with 11 spin. If nw wakes up with Flipkick d3 avoids it and she gets pressure at least.

I'll add more when I'm not on my phone.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Wowo beats nw 6-4.

Staff beats lasso
Shield beats staff
Escrima beats shield

D3 wrecks escrima nw. On knockdown she can d3 under a wakeup escrima fury and punish with 11 spin. If nw wakes up with Flipkick d3 avoids it and she gets pressure at least.

I'll add more when I'm not on my phone.
Added to OP Nightwing section. See...that's how this is supposed to work. Thanks for contributing.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Superman-Wonder Woman is 5-5. He can't throw out lasers all willy nilly because of the instant air Demigoddess, but if he successfully baits one out, it's full combo punishable. B2>F2, so Superman has to be smart about his approach and guess correctly on her starter options: 33, B2, B1, D12, etc. This match always comes down to who's the better player.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Superman-Wonder Woman is 5-5. He can't throw out lasers all willy nilly because of the instant air Demigoddess, but if he successfully baits one out, it's full combo punishable. B2>F2, so Superman has to be smart about his approach and guess correctly on her starter options: 33, B2, B1, D12, etc. This match always comes down to who's the better player.
And how do you explain the fact that D3 low profiles everything superman has?

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
Superman also can't punish demigoddess on block. In fact, if she backdashes and you tried to f23, you're eating 41%. He has to make a read with something like bf3.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Also, Superman can't go for autopilot crossup J2's because WW's D2 leads to over 30%+ corner carry. The only thing keeping this 5-5 is his damage output and Divebomb resets.

Superman also can't punish demigoddess on block. In fact, if she backdashes and you tried to f23, you're eating 41%. He has to make a read with something like bf3.
This is correct, but if Demigoddess whiffs, only God can help you.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
After playing against Starchargers CW in a MU I was learning as it went, I'd say its a modest 5-5, but it feels slightly in CW's favor. They both dish out huge damage, corner and midscreen and CW has an oki game superior to WW's. Not to mention CW can consistently warp her hitbox to avoid so many of WW's approaches. And when it comes to turtling, CW does it better since WW has no full screen projectile. Even if the CW player has 1 bar, WW is taking a huge risk approaching her due to fast her bounces are. I'd go more in depth but I'm in a bit of a hurry

The Highlander

There can be only one
First of all this is amazing @Saboteur-6 really great job! I love how all we have for bane is to play floor is lava, I get the feeling that that it's in his favour. He doesn't care about our frametraps because, if I'm not mistaken, he can armour through them and his oki game is just better. You can't stay away indefinitely, especially with that dash of his. I feel like we have to rely on whiff punishing and baiting unsafe stuff out. It's hard to approach him on debuff because of the range of his normals too. I wouldn't take any of this from me though, perhaps the bane's know more? @Doombawkz

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
After playing against Starchargers CW in a MU I was learning as it went, I'd say its a modest 5-5, but it feels slightly in CW's favor. They both dish out huge damage, corner and midscreen and CW has an oki game superior to WW's. Not to mention CW can consistently warp her hitbox to avoid so many of WW's approaches. And when it comes to turtling, CW does it better since WW has no full screen projectile. Even if the CW player has 1 bar, WW is taking a huge risk approaching her due to fast her bounces are. I'd go more in depth but I'm in a bit of a hurry
As far as the oki goes, I think they're pretty similar but the difference is that you can wake up while Catwoman can't without trait. Even if she does have trait and you don't feel like guessing, you can use the mid-screen OTG to avoid it completely. b3 going under b1 is a problem so you have to rely more on b2, which is still faster than her b3 and a frame slower than her f1 but with more range. I think the way to play the match-up is more reactionary than anything. If CW whiffs a b3 you have to make sure you have to use d1~spin to punish instead of b1. If you block it you can force a mix-up of b2, 33, or d1 if she tries to poke out. If she jumps at you, you can either d2 or MB b3 depending on the spacing. She shouldn't be able to get away with it very often. If you do happen to block a j2, you can still backdash the "50/50" and whiff punish the strings with d1~spin. Pushblocking is something you have to do a lot but it's not a big deal since WW doesn't require meter for combos.

Watching these matches, I think you're just too active in general. If you try to airdash/dash around you're going to eat a lot of j2. As a matter of fact I don't jumping at her is very good in this match-up anyway. Also, using d3 instead of just b2/33 to beat her wake-ups makes things a lot harder since you should be getting free mix-ups when you knock CW down. The knockdown setups Star uses do avoid wake-ups spin, but once you respect that he switches to the usual high/low mix-up that you can wake up out of. As always it's a risk, but you should do it sometimes to keep him honest. Obviously latency can be a problem so I won't comment on the combo drops.

I'm not saying this is perfect by any means, but I think it's a decent example of how it should go. It's pretty easy to see what works and what doesn't. There are some mistakes and I don't do everything that I mentioned above, but I do now. Last time we played it was pretty much dead even.

@Filipino Man

We've got to play this match quite a bit recently. Have a good amount played with Foxy as well.

Both players need to know the ins and outs. Wonder Woman has the same issue on the ground as most do. she CAN'T get up. Also has to deal with Bane's footsie game. Getting on him can be frustrating with his d1, d2 range etc. Basically the regular Bane bs.

But she also has a lot of answers. D3 is really solid. Anything parried is a full combo punish. Her damage output is insane, especially on venom. and her oki CAN work. Basically the input reversals, airdashes etc. It's not the most reliable, but when you do 40% meterless with great mobility it makes up for it. B2 is also an awesome tool in this match, to keep him at bay.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
As far as the oki goes, I think they're pretty similar but the difference is that you can wake up while Catwoman can't without trait. Even if she does have trait and you don't feel like guessing, you can use the mid-screen OTG to avoid it completely. b3 going under b1 is a problem so you have to rely more on b2, which is still faster than her b3 and a frame slower than her f1 but with more range. I think the way to play the match-up is more reactionary than anything. If CW whiffs a b3 you have to make sure you have to use d1~spin to punish instead of b1. If you block it you can force a mix-up of b2, 33, or d1 if she tries to poke out. If she jumps at you, you can either d2 or MB b3 depending on the spacing. She shouldn't be able to get away with it very often. If you do happen to block a j2, you can still backdash the "50/50" and whiff punish the strings with d1~spin. Pushblocking is something you have to do a lot but it's not a big deal since WW doesn't require meter for combos.

Watching these matches, I think you're just too active in general. If you try to airdash/dash around you're going to eat a lot of j2. As a matter of fact I don't jumping at her is very good in this match-up anyway. Also, using d3 instead of just b2/33 to beat her wake-ups makes things a lot harder since you should be getting free mix-ups when you knock CW down. The knockdown setups Star uses do avoid wake-ups spin, but once you respect that he switches to the usual high/low mix-up that you can wake up out of. As always it's a risk, but you should do it sometimes to keep him honest. Obviously latency can be a problem so I won't comment on the combo drops.

I'm not saying this is perfect by any means, but I think it's a decent example of how it should go. It's pretty easy to see what works and what doesn't. There are some mistakes and I don't do everything that I mentioned above, but I do now. Last time we played it was pretty much dead even.
Yeah I agree with all that, but looking at the matches, Starcharger does combos that do significantly less than average. If he were to optimize his combos, I think he'd be winning a lot more matches. i would like to run the MU more regardless

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?

And as for hard knockdowns, its such a huge guessing game lol. CW can start either f1 or b1 and stop right after to bait a wake up to block and full combo punish her. I just wish there were more legit CW players online(say what you will about online lol). Relying on one single player sucks to get genuine experience. And it could've been the lag, but I can't d2 her jump ins unless I assume she'll jump

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
And as for hard knockdowns, its such a huge guessing game lol. CW can start either f1 or b1 and stop right after to bait a wake up to block and full combo punish her.
Yeah, but that's the nature of a mix-up character. You just have to guess sometimes and it goes both ways. Either character can look like they have an advantage if they get the first hit, since it's heavily based on momentum. Of those options only f1 is + anyway, so it's no worse than WW's oki.

And it could've been the lag, but I can't d2 her jump ins unless I assume she'll jump
It could be the lag. Last time I was anti-airing pretty consistently. General guideline would be to use d2 if she's on top of your head and MB b3 otherwise. At worst d2 should trade and you still get a combo. It shouldn't be too difficult since her jump is floaty.

For the record I think the match-up is dead even.

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
@Filipino Man

We've got to play this match quite a bit recently. Have a good amount played with Foxy as well.

But she also has a lot of answers. D3 is really solid. Anything parried is a full combo punish. Her damage output is insane, especially on venom. and her oki CAN work. Basically the input reversals, airdashes etc. It's not the most reliable, but when you do 40% meterless with great mobility it makes up for it. B2 is also an awesome tool in this match, to keep him at bay.
I'm also insanely free against all armored characters if that makes any difference :p.

I find that you just need to get rid of lvl 3 venom with air dashes, demigoddesses etc. it's lame, but it works.

I'm also insanely free against all armored characters if that makes any difference :p.

I find that you just need to get rid of lvl 3 venom with air dashes, demigoddesses etc. it's lame, but it works.
Haha thing is though level 3 isn't popped often if you're full screen, typically it's when you're on the ground.

Interesting thing was b3 in shield stance can't get command grabbed.