What's new

Curious: Why no love for MK9 Tag Team?

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
You would need a rule book to play tag competitively, but I still really like playing tag mode, it's really fun and the combo potential is amazing. I think it's interesting that some of the low tier characters have some of the best potential in tag mode.

Goldi

Warrior
I love tag with teammates. There were exhibitions at SCR and NEC (maybe WB, blurry on the acronyms) I feel silly trying to play two characters alone lol but the combos get really pretty. I haven't seen any new combo videos for it in a long time though. Maybe that needs to change..

looking for the button that makes you come back <3

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Where to begin. It's an awesomely fun mode if you're drinking with your buddy but in a tournament? Naaaaaaaaaah

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
you guys forget that when you tag another char/player, you can escape frame trap lol.
Not with scorpion, everytime he tag assist he resets his partner for a free jump in low, overhead mixup, grab, blockstring anything you can think of into another tag assist reset.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
It may not be tournament viable, but it's the most fun way for me to play MK with a bunch of friends.

I was really disappointed to find this feature wasn't in Injustice...

My feelings exactly. I can see why it's not appropriate for a tournament setting but it's the cherry on top of MK9. My friends/family and I have no real desire to battle against each other but battling together against two other people is definitely our thing.

Injustice is just a dull borefest due to it's absence. I haven't touched it in a while and nor do I really care, the iOS game is more enjoyable.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
Because the one time we ran a tournament it took forever to finish... Have to find ps3s with 4 usb ports...

NKZero

Warrior
I don't think having MK9 competitive tag tournaments is a bad thing. Broken it is (Yoda-speak) but we can make it our version of Marvel. The combo creativity, choosing characters for specific assist types etc. would make the game very interesting and perhaps give exposure to characters that aren't represented frequently enough in one on one modes.

I don't mind either way but I think it's worth trying out (although it has been tried out before apparently?).

real talk, i would say if tag team has less damage output or more scaling on tag combos it would be fine imo.
i still have fun and enjoy tag team. i love to use bad chars together with good chars like sheeva-sonya or stryker-cage lol

chessmaster

Kombatant
Being broken never stopped marvel vs capcom. All of them are broken as shit. High level tournament play equates to like 10% of the cast.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
I've been following competitive MK9 play for over a year now. After tons of majors, minors, casuals, fundraisers, etc., it struck me that I never see Tag Team mode being used. Ever. Maybe I missed it, but I can't think of a single MK9 Tag Team tournament event in the last year. Even on the long fundraising streams, it seems every variety of MK9 is explored but this one.

Particularly now, post-EVO 2013, I see players trying to keep the game alive and 'spice up' MK9 by holding low-tier tournaments or having other rules variants, but still no Tag Team. It seems like a natural choice. Each person has not one, but two characters to master, plus there are a ton of different Tag Team-only moves that seem untapped. That holds some definite interest for me to watch some of the cool tag-in combos available. The Tag Team idea itself is quite popular and integral to some other popular fighting games, Tekken Tag and UMvC3 being clear examples, but not so much here.

So, I'm curious, why does the Tag Team mode for MK9 get no love? Is there some kind of glitch or other reason that the mode isn't fun or viable?
competitively it is worthless.. casually it is SOOOOO much fun. Its an awesome party game that way. My girl played tag with me all the time. Would have enjoyed tag in Injustice for the same reasons. Its a great casual game mode.

Matix218

Get over here!
It actually could have been kinda cool if it was not so broken IMO. It would have been fun to have 2v2 tournaments with a partner (like at nec but maxter and reo showed why in its current state it is unplayable LOL)