What's new

Crossover Jump Punch Defense

Mosp

Noob
So I'm a Cyrax player and i was playing online and had problems with a person who loved to use the crossover jump punch. He used multiple characters but for this example I'll just use his Raiden to show what I was having problems with.

He would teleport with Raiden and be immediately behind me and start the crossover jump punches, but he wouldn't just use punches. He used d+3, d+4, throws, usually 1 or 2 punches and a string which was safe on block. If I tried to jump out he would just air to air me then electric fly. If I tried to d+1, d+3, d+4 the move wouldn't come out because I was getting bombarded with attacks. If i tried to teleport or anti-air it wouldn't come out either, I don't know if it was because I was getting hit or because the crossover would change the direction of my inputs making it hard to use any special moves.

I had problems against every character he used because he would use a similar tactic with them all and I also used more characters than just Cyrax but nothing seemed to work for me. I just used this specific example to give you guys an idea of what I was experiencing and hopefully make it easier to solve.

I was about to come and make this same thread, I am having trouble with the same thing, mainly when they dial a safe combo, you block, and they immediately crossover jump punch after. The only thing that has sort of worked is dashing underneath them, sometimes you can poke, but the punch goes through poke a lot. I try to superman/special out of it but the crossover changes directions messing up input of the move sometimes.

yep i had the same problem but i kinda figured out a way to punish it ,when you are being jumped over simply jump with him in the same direction (jump kick) and if ur character has any air punish as in raiden's super man or smoke's air throw just use it for maximizing ur damage this tactic is working most of the time with me like 90%
and if the kick whiffs or you jump late ,you will be hit with a punch in air for minimal damage and knock down.
i hope this helps.
ah yea and njp works but it's not working all the time for me ,it not some thing you can practice alone so i stick with the jump kick.

Yes, the key is that in order for a jump in punch to work, your opponent needs to wait a bit before throwing the punch. Therefore, if you jump and throw the punch immediately, and he is still waiting, you'll knock his ass out.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
i'll 2nd the "jump away and kick" tactic. you just have to be good at knowing when his pressure string is going to end so you can jump with him after you block his attacks.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I've been dealing with this a lot lately. People think crossup jumps are safe but a neutral jump punch (or sujp if you're old school like me) trumps every time. Online can be a little deceiving but offline I haven't encountered much trouble.

I hate crossup jumps so much, they are the only weakness I have in this game. What makes this so annoying is that you can only really do it with top tier characters since they have the speed like Kung Lao, Scorpion, and Reptiles are some good examples but Ermac and Cyrax are also annoying to deal with.

The problem with fighting this is that while it's true you can counter it with a jump punch or a neutral jump punch but when your opponent is really good they will throw a special move instead of jumping. So when you try to counter you end up getting hit with a spin, a green bubble, a net, or end up being levitated and before you know it you just lost 1/3 of your health. Sometimes they will just go for a throw after their combo. It's so annoying and it's for this reason that I just don't do anything because I don't want to get hit but if you don't do anything your stuck in the middle. I don't know what to do and none of my characters can do a good crossup pressure of their own.

The only thing that works is just to block and when they jump, I just jump away in the opposite direction. Sometimes they him me in the air with their jp but at least I can do a recovery and put some distance, again this is hard against Ermac and Reptile because Ermac and still grab you with his special and Reptile can elbow dash and do another crossup. I hope I find an answer soon because as of right now this is the only way I get destroyed.

I've been dealing with this a lot lately. People think crossup jumps are safe but a neutral jump punch (or sujp if you're old school like me) trumps every time. Online can be a little deceiving but offline I haven't encountered much trouble.
Thanks for this. So simple yet I hadn't been able to get out of the "deer in the headlights" mode then next thing I know I was 15 down in chip damage lol. Mk is tough for me to play defensively like I did in other games

Now I just switch to Jax against those people, NJP 2f2b1 air grab. Its so beautiful.

Strange though, I can't seem to get an air grab on reaction to a cross uip attempt, for whatever reason.

Another good counter is Cyber subs ice parry, that thing goes off so quick, its obnoxious. If they get the hint and wait, they'll have given up the medium and guaranteed pressure so its worth it.