What's new

Cross platform online

Sasuga

Noob
Hey guys,

With MKX coming to a whole bunch of platforms, including PC, do you think there is a good chance to see crossplatform online modes? We've seen this before with Final Fantasy XIV online. XBL will be left out because of their policy but PSN and PC can go back-to-back pretty good and connect ps3 and ps4 users to PC users. Boon has already hinted that there are great plans for online.

What do you think?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Hey guys,

With MKX coming to a whole bunch of platforms, including PC, do you think there is a good chance to see crossplatform online modes? We've seen this before with Final Fantasy XIV online. XBL will be left out because of their policy but PSN and PC can go back-to-back pretty good and connect ps3 and ps4 users to PC users. Boon has already hinted that there are great plans for online.

What do you think?
I really hope they can do it, but I doubt their netcode will be able to handle it. The netcode can't even handle 2 players on the same platform lol.

Steam does have some interoperability with PSN, you can sign in to Steam using your PSN account or something like that. I always wondered if they can get more out of it.

Hey guys,

What do you think?
They did this with battlefield 3 and 4. After a few months that BF3 was out and the sales were good, they decided to mesh the ps3 players with pc players.(rip remote control players in fps)
That would be awesome, the online scene would be more crowded, more competition, however I don't think they wil ldo this at launch, maybe on a later date depending on how succesfull the game and the online play is.

Sasuga

Noob
They already did something similar with Injustice. They have the WB servers that stores Injustice unlocks. They could upgrade those servers to host a whole online community. It would be the coolest thing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It would be great to have one big player base but it's unlikely. These restrictions were put there on purpose. Microsoft actually blocks players from playing destiny on 360 and one together. It's the same game, there wouldn't be any issue doing it if it wasn't intentionally restricted.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
They already did something similar with Injustice. They have the WB servers that stores Injustice unlocks. They could upgrade those servers to host a whole online community. It would be the coolest thing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The problem is not really with technical capability to pull this off here IMO, but commercial reasons.
I'm afraid that Mike is right. I mean, seeing how a lot of people have copies of their FGs for every platform ever just to play with different players, I don't see this happening, especially now that there will be a bit more people with more than one platform due to nextgen being released while still lacking in games for it (which is incentive for people to keep their "oldgen").

I really hope they can do it, but I doubt their netcode will be able to handle it. The netcode can't even handle 2 players on the same platform lol.
I don't think there are fundamental issues with netcode. As long as involvement of different servers to connect 2 people is not a strict requirement, everything should be fine from what I understand. Otherwise you'll possibly have increased ping, that's where netcode functionality should come into play if I understand you correctly.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Never mind all this cross platform bollocks,I just want the online to actually be playable unlike the drizzling shits that was mk9 online.
enjoy your day gents.

Sasuga

Noob
The problem is not really with technical capability to pull this off here IMO, but commercial reasons.
I'm afraid that Mike is right. I mean, seeing how a lot of people have copies of their FGs for every platform ever just to play with different players, I don't see this happening, especially now that there will be a bit more people with more than one platform due to nextgen being released while still lacking in games for it (which is incentive for people to keep their "oldgen").
I can see them implement this at a later point, if at all, because of commercial reasons you mentioned.

Maybe using their own servers to host online games is a part of their plan to improve the netcode's performance? I don't know how that works 'under the hood' and if that would even improve performance.

It would be great to have one big player base but it's unlikely. These restrictions were put there on purpose. Microsoft actually blocks players from playing destiny on 360 and one together. It's the same game, there wouldn't be any issue doing it if it wasn't intentionally restricted.
Microsoft does that kind of thing but there are more and more games that hook up different consoles. FFXIV is one of them and isn't destiny crossplatform apart from xbl?