What's new

Critique My Sektor - 10 Straight Online Ranked Matches

LuciusAxelrod

Robot Ninja
So I installed a capture card in my desktop today and have started recording MK game play videos, so I figured it might be a good idea to record ten straight online ranked matches against random folks as both an exercise in video capture and a way to get feedback on my Sektor play.
The following ten videos are ten online ranked matches I played less than two hours ago. That is to say I have not cherry picked games in which I have done especially poorly/well/average, I just sat down and recorded a bunch of matches. They feature my Sektor against 9 different opponents using 8 different characters. Amazingly, I won 9 out of the 10 matches. Keep in mind these are online matches and I am playing though my video capture software (as I don't have am HDMI splitter), so don't be too harsh on me for dropping combos. I might update later with my thoughts on my own game play, but I would like to see what other people have to say first.

Match 1:
Match 2:
Match 3:
Match 4:
Match 5:
Match 6:
Match 7:
Match 8:
Match 9:
Match 10:

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
nice matches...

I think theres 3 things wrong with your game

1)You do too many random EX uppercuts, i mean as soon as you had a bar you'd use it on an EX move, at least in the 2nd match you were pretty predictable.
2) Do more homing missiles, it's arguably sektor's most useful tool and you barely used it.
3) BUILD MORE METER, this kinda goes along with the first one, build some meter instead of doing random EX moves. More meter means more homing missiles and EX uppercuts.

I'm not exactly sure how Sektor works, but I feel as if during your battle with CSZ you could have punished those blocked slides. I don't use any of the other characters except for Kitana, but she didn't even give you a good match. So I'll leave those for people who main those characters and can give more useful information.

LuciusAxelrod

Robot Ninja
Yeah, I missed a lot of punishes I knew I should have hit. It's not that I don't know how, it's just that I messed up.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I picked a match at random and saw match 3. Ur Sektor is nice and I like how aggressive u are with him. That could catch alot of of people off guard as Sektor is not necessarily designed to be played that way, in my opinion. Because of that, if you played that jax twice, he might have adjusted and beat you next time. Why so eager to close distance and pressure with ex teleuppercut? Let them wise up and you might be in trouble. Also, no usage of 12b1 at all removes Sektors high damage combos from ur arsenal. All in all, good job surprising ur oponent with in your face tactics, though playing the same person more than once might give u a better idea of what to work on.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Discretion: The following analysis and criticism is not to "hate" on you, but to help you improve. Dont take it personally.

I'd like to just state that playing one match in random is a complete waste of time. Why not play multiple matches in player lobbies, so your opponent can adjust to your playstyle and force you to improve.

watched a couple videos:

1. Too many useless EX teleports on wakeup
2. Not enough throws
3. Poking game needs a big improvement
4. wasting metre when opponent has breaker
5. Not maximizing damage whenever possible
6. You were lucky your opponents were so terrible and didnt combo you properly. If they did, you would have had zero metre to breaker and all the metre you build, you instantly waste.
7. You like to do this combo: B+3,4, TU, JK, ITU, B+2,1. I personally like to do B+3,4, TU, F+4,4, EX-TU, B+2,1
8. You lost the "First Hit Bonus" on many matches that you could have easily got it by starting with Flameburner.
9. The match you lost was against that Sonya player that frankly was pretty terrible imo. I noticed during the fight, at points you would just be blocking and taking way too much chip damage. Also, you were letting him freely close the gap. And once again like I mentioned above, you waste too much metre so as soon as you get combo'd you are helpless since no breaker.
10. Try incorporating Front Up-Missile more into your game.
11. No use of overheads and way too dependant on B+3,4. What do you plan on doing if your opponent fuzzy guards B+3,4 or just crouch blocks all day and anticipates the JIP ?

ManjoumeThunder

Just a mark
Discretion: The following analysis and criticism is not to "hate" on you, but to help you improve. Dont take it personally.

I'd like to just state that playing one match in random is a complete waste of time. Why not play multiple matches in player lobbies, so your opponent can adjust to your playstyle and force you to improve.

watched a couple videos:

2. Not enough throws
6. You were lucky your opponents were so terrible and didnt combo you properly. If they did, you would have had zero metre to breaker and all the metre you build, you instantly waste.
7. You like to do this combo: B+3,4, TU, JK, ITU, B+2,1. I personally like to do B+3,4, TU, F+4,4, EX-TU, B+2,1
8. You lost the "First Hit Bonus" on many matches that you could have easily got it by starting with Flameburner.
9. The match you lost was against that Sonya player that frankly was pretty terrible imo. I noticed during the fight, at points you would just be blocking and taking way too much chip damage. Also, you were letting him freely close the gap. And once again like I mentioned above, you waste too much metre so as soon as you get combo'd you are helpless since no breaker.
11. No use of overheads and way too dependant on B+3,4. What do you plan on doing if your opponent fuzzy guards B+3,4 or just crouch blocks all day and anticipates the JIP ?
I think this helps me as a Sektor player as well.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
You definitely want to use homing missile more. And save that meter. Try to punish with launcher strings that way you can get in the 40%+ combos.

Playing against you right now randomly, and I have to agree with the meter management comments. You rarely have enough meter to break my combos. In fact, out of the last 6-8 matches you have only broken my combo once. Also, Kitana specifically, I feel as if you jump too often. One air fan and I get a pretty decent chunk of life from you.

With your low starting combo, don't always end with the teleport. Or if you are going to end it that way, do the EN version. After being caught with it a few times, I've learned to block all the way until the teleport. After you catch with it once, I would switch it up afterwards. It's very unsafe and allows me a full combo of my choosing.

I also feel as if you zone too much against my Kitana. I catch you with my enhanced fan throw and I can get in and combo off of it, where as your missiles simply knock me down.

Also, you don't play footsies much. My d1 poke pretty much negates all of your momentum you gain and you immediately back off or go into turtle mode

Not enough grab mixups, you seem to simply go on the defensive the second you realize you've been blocked.

Also, when I do my 4-1, it's an overhead ( Where she comes down with the two fans ) and if I whiff the kick portion it's fairly easy to punish with an uppercut. I've noticed you just kind of sit there and take it when I do that as you block low.

To many ex-teleports when I don't think you think they will hit me. If you whiff the ex-teleport all you're doing is wasting a precious piece of meter.

One other problem I see is you like to trade projectiles with me when you have almost no health left. I know I'll survive a missile, I also know you won't survive my fans. I feel that is the best time to bait my fans in order to use an ex-teleport and end the match.

You'll have to excuse the random up close fans and wave dashes which I'm sure look pretty stupid from your end. My left thumb stick is broken and likes to stick to the left which causes me to do a lot of stuff I don't want to do. My D1 becomes fans or wave dash when I'm trying to keep pressure and gets me combo'd. I also have a serious problem actually doing my air fans instantly as I leave the ground. They like to come out as NJP online, lol.

Good matches so far, great Sektor practice for me :]

its good but just cooling down on the tele uppercuts and using more missiles/flamethrowers/strings would make you alot more effective. if players are decent every failed non ex uppercut is going to be -30% for you.

Metalic

Noob
Agree with less EX TU, I prefer using it as a combo extender than wakeup option, Homing missile is the better meter usage IMO. Up missle after a "knockdown" combo is fairly useful too for Oki. It's positive on block too, I think? (Haven't played Sektor seriously in MONTHS, so forgive me if I'm wrong). Front/back missiles are useful here and there for a "shield" of sorts ala Shangs skulls, but I don't do them much myself. Use Leg Lift (Aka Sektors overheads) a bit more since you like to pressure. Also notice you were doing JK->TU a lot where you could do F4,4->TU for more damage. Not much else I can say, only saw 3 videos.

Ludogg

Noob
to end the TU combos i have been using B2-Flameburner instead of the B2-1 it does alittle more damage and they dont get a wake up opportunity

LuciusAxelrod

Robot Ninja

watched a couple videos:

2. Not enough throws
1) I have a habit of doing EXTU too often, and it's really hard to break the mental thing that keeps me doing it. I will devote time trying to break this habit.
2) What are some good throw set ups or tick throws or whatever? Just something like 12 throw, or b34 throw?
7) I use jk instead of f44 for several reasons:
-It seems to be a little easier, for me at least. Sometimes I would enter the commands too quickly and I would cancel after the first hit instead of the second.
-The difference in damage is minimal (1% or 2% depending on the combo).
-The opponent gains less meter with the jk. I know 1 or 2 percent of health could be the difference in a match, but so can your opponent's meter. Giving your opponent breaker earlier could mean your opponent can prevent much more than the 1 or 2 percent you gained before.
8) I tried to open with a flamethrower in some of those matches, but f2 came out instead. Is a flamethrower opening generally a safe bet?
11) Unless I'm forgetting one, Sektor's overheads are 122 and u34, right? What can I do to give my opponent a reason to continue blocking low after they see the first hit wasn't low? It seems like 122 would be easy to block, is all. And for u34, it doesn't feel safe to just do. It's like I have to do it directly after a jp, and even then if I'm going to cancel it in to EXTU and spend meter to make it safe in case they guess correctly and block it. Are there any set ups that I'm missing that give you enough time on a knockdown to send right over them and do u3 for the low/high mixup?

Playing against you right now randomly, and I have to agree with the meter management comments. You rarely have enough meter to break my combos. In fact, out of the last 6-8 matches you have only broken my combo once. Also, Kitana specifically, I feel as if you jump too often. One air fan and I get a pretty decent chunk of life from you.

With your low starting combo, don't always end with the teleport. Or if you are going to end it that way, do the EN version. After being caught with it a few times, I've learned to block all the way until the teleport. After you catch with it once, I would switch it up afterwards. It's very unsafe and allows me a full combo of my choosing.

I also feel as if you zone too much against my Kitana. I catch you with my enhanced fan throw and I can get in and combo off of it, where as your missiles simply knock me down.

Also, you don't play footsies much. My d1 poke pretty much negates all of your momentum you gain and you immediately back off or go into turtle mode

Not enough grab mixups, you seem to simply go on the defensive the second you realize you've been blocked.

Also, when I do my 4-1, it's an overhead ( Where she comes down with the two fans ) and if I whiff the kick portion it's fairly easy to punish with an uppercut. I've noticed you just kind of sit there and take it when I do that as you block low.

To many ex-teleports when I don't think you think they will hit me. If you whiff the ex-teleport all you're doing is wasting a precious piece of meter.

One other problem I see is you like to trade projectiles with me when you have almost no health left. I know I'll survive a missile, I also know you won't survive my fans. I feel that is the best time to bait my fans in order to use an ex-teleport and end the match.

You'll have to excuse the random up close fans and wave dashes which I'm sure look pretty stupid from your end. My left thumb stick is broken and likes to stick to the left which causes me to do a lot of stuff I don't want to do. My D1 becomes fans or wave dash when I'm trying to keep pressure and gets me combo'd. I also have a serious problem actually doing my air fans instantly as I leave the ground. They like to come out as NJP online, lol.

Good matches so far, great Sektor practice for me :]
I really hate Kitana...
Honestly it feels like there's no where on the screen where Sektor has an advantage against Kitana. Inside Kitana's d1 range, you can d1 and it seems like there's nothing I can do about it (even EXTU will whiff or miss the second hit even if the first connects). Just outside of d1 range, you can f21, which seems to beat out or just plain avoid everything I can do. Even if I block it, I haven't been able to do anything after that beats a d1. If I catch you trying to jump back with Sektor's 12b1 (his fastest starting punish, if I'm not mistaken), it'll hit you out of the air and it's a lot more difficult to combo after. Outside of f21 range, I have to shoot missiles and hope for a good trade, throw out a flamethrower and hope you react to it by walking straight into instead of fan comboing me, or TU and hope you don't block and punish or EXTU and spend the meter and hope I hit you. I'm not trying to say the match is unwinnable or anything, it just seems kinda tough.
ggs though, it was a real coincidence running in to you online.

its good but just cooling down on the tele uppercuts and using more missiles/flamethrowers/strings would make you alot more effective. if players are decent every failed non ex uppercut is going to be -30% for you.
Usually when I do a non-EX TU, it's because it came out non-EX even though I inputted EX, or I inputted b34, df thinking that I'd be able to hit the 4 after I could visually confirm the hit, but it comes out anyway probably because negative edge (or maybe I'm just making a mistake and hitting the button more times than I think...).

LuciusAxelrod

Robot Ninja
to end the TU combos i have been using B2-Flameburner instead of the B2-1 it does alittle more damage and they dont get a wake up opportunity
I try to go for that when I can, but it can be more difficult than b21 depending on the timing of the rest of the combo (especially online). I use b21 when I just want to be sure that I get that last hit in.

I really hate Kitana...
Honestly it feels like there's no where on the screen where Sektor has an advantage against Kitana. Inside Kitana's d1 range, you can d1 and it seems like there's nothing I can do about it (even EXTU will whiff or miss the second hit even if the first connects). Just outside of d1 range, you can f21, which seems to beat out or just plain avoid everything I can do. Even if I block it, I haven't been able to do anything after that beats a d1. If I catch you trying to jump back with Sektor's 12b1 (his fastest starting punish, if I'm not mistaken), it'll hit you out of the air and it's a lot more difficult to combo after. Outside of f21 range, I have to shoot missiles and hope for a good trade, throw out a flamethrower and hope you react to it by walking straight into instead of fan comboing me, or TU and hope you don't block and punish or EXTU and spend the meter and hope I hit you. I'm not trying to say the match is unwinnable or anything, it just seems kinda tough.
ggs though, it was a real coincidence running in to you online.
Personally I feel like the matchup is in your favor. Your teleport pretty much shuts down my zoning game completely. I'm always so scared of being hit by it I can't throw fans like I can against other people.

Against the D1, the only thing I can suggest really is to do a d4 poke or something along those lines to gain the momentum back. You can't really punish it in any way shape or form.

I would say that keeping constant pressure on Kitana is the best thing to stop her. Her only two real wakeups are Cutter and her Wave Dash ( I think that's what it's called anyway ). The cutter can be blocked but gives her a frame advantage, and the wave dash is punishable since it doesn't have any armor. Low pokes plus an upward missile would completely shut down any chance she has of hitting with a wakeup or even escaping for that matter.

Altaire

Noob
Okay, I disagree with some of what's being said here, and I think it needs to be addressed. I don't mean to shit on anyone with this, but I do think that a lot of this advice is going to steer you in the wrong direction.

First off, your Sektor is pretty good. It needs work, but hey, that's why you made this topic. I'll get to my own critique shortly, and I won't judge for the dropped combos; what the hell can you say to that anyway, besides "practice more"? Anyway, this is the advice I'm referring to:

nice matches...

I think theres 3 things wrong with your game

1)You do too many random EX uppercuts, i mean as soon as you had a bar you'd use it on an EX move, at least in the 2nd match you were pretty predictable.
2) Do more homing missiles, it's arguably sektor's most useful tool and you barely used it.
3) BUILD MORE METER, this kinda goes along with the first one, build some meter instead of doing random EX moves. More meter means more homing missiles and EX uppercuts.
I agree on 1) for the most part, but the appeal of the EX telepunch is that you CAN throw it out at random and get away with it. I'm not saying you should take a stab in the dark, but if you're making informed reads and you think you have an opening, you can get away with throwing one of these out. Still, you never want to use EX-anything too often, especially if it isn't working for you. I agree with 3) for the most part, but it's very situational, because you can't always spam specials just to build meter.

I really don't agree with 2), and that's my only real problem with your post. The homing missile is overrated, as far as I'm concerned. If you throw one of these out, a smart opponent is going to know to stay away from you and block it, because it does no chip whatsoever on block. A lot of people say "run in and do B3 4 so they can't block both at the same time", but like... What's stopping them from blocking the missile in crouch block? The homing missile basically has the same issue as Shang Tsung's soul steal: It tends you towards a predictable style of play. Like the soul steal, you only have a few seconds to capitalize on a homing missile, and so you'll rush in to make use of it. The only real appeal of this is that it pins them in block and sets them up for your leg lift 50/50, but what then? You could run in and do a throw as well, but is that really worth one bar? The homing missile does give you easier access to certain mixups, but none of those are guaranteed and rarely are they worth the meter. Hell, when someone does the leg lift mixup after a homing missile, I'll usually jab them out of it and take the missile for its piddly 8% damage.

If you can convince me of the homing missile's viability, I'll concede, but as far as I'm concerned, it's overrated. None of Sektor's EX attacks are particularly good outside of his uppercut, which is both a great punish and arguably the best wakeup attack in the game. Almost all of your meter should be going towards that, if you ask me.

Now uh, this...

First off, this is the second or third time I've seen you advise people to start every match with flamethrower. You don't. Start. Every. Match. The same way. This is universally terrible advice. I honestly can't think of a single move you could do off the start of every match that's 100% safe across every matchup. If you think your opponent is going to try and jump in or use a special, fine, flamethrower. You could also B1. You could also jump back. You could also, I don't know, block? Have you ever noticed how in most tourney play, both parties tend to start the first round from neutral? Either they're blocking, or they're in a position where they can block if needed, and there's a reason for that. I will say this once, and it goes for every character in the game: Never start every match the same way. You see a lot of Sub Zero players start every match with a clone, and there are a million and one ways to punish that.

Second, you ask him what he's going to do once his opponent starts blocking low. Uh, throw? High/low mixups really aren't strong in this game. Again, look at any tourney footage: Watch the top 8 from Evo, or CEO, or ECT. How many of those players use high/low mixups? Kung Lao, Nightwolf, Raiden, Cage and Cyrax are considered some of the strongest characters in the game, none of whom rely on high/low mixups. The better 50/50 mixup for anyone with a low starter is to train your opponent to block low with a safe low starter, then throw them. If you can make your opponent commit to blocking low, you're setting them up for easy grabs, along with more predictable play in general. It takes more time to mount an offense out of crouch block than it does out of stand block, so if you can manipulate your opponent into blocking low, you're already ahead of the game. The best offense in this game tends to center on block strings, frame traps and throw mixups, whereas the vast majority of high/low mixups can be easily fuzzy guarded.

Anyway, this is dragging on long enough, so I'll just cover some of the basics.

- Don't rush in if you don't have to. I noticed you doing this a few times, and it just wasn't necessary. Contrary to popular belief, Sektor CAN play rushdown adequately, but he shouldn't if he doesn't have to. Zone your opponent by alternating up missiles/straight missiles (or just stagger straight missiles in matchups where up missiles are less effective). The trick with Sektor's zoning is to goad your opponent into jumping in, at which point you can catch them with a flamethrower and go back to doing your thing. Above and beyond all of this, the number one rule of fighting games is to keep doing whatever you're doing until it stops working, period.

- Use more B1. This attack is a godsend, and it's easily the best tool in Sektor's arsenal. It's safe, it does a whopping 11% for one hit, and it has a fuckton of pushback. If you land a flamethrower, you can follow with B1 as long as you don't think your opponent will jump, and if successful, you'll create enough distance to resume zoning him. Just don't overdo it; this is seriously one of the hardest attacks in the game to punish head-on if used carefully, though anything is punishable if it's predictable.

- Use 1 2 B1 more. Someone mentioned that it gives you access to his higher damage combos, but that's not the point: The point is that it punishes damn near anything in the game that is even remotely punishable. It even interrupts a lot of block strings from neutral, simply because it's faster than the first hit of that string. Because 1 2 B1 combos off a jab that's somewhere around 7 frames (don't hold me to that), it's fast enough to catch a lot of openings that your other combo starters won't. Don't ever take this for granted.

- Sektor's uppercut will get you out of trouble, use it. Again, this is something like 6 or 7 frames, which is the fastest uppercut speed in the game (on par with Cage and Kung Lao, if that gives you some idea). It'll get you out of a lot of frame traps that other characters can hardly do anything about, and it'll even stop Kung Lao's 2 4 ground hat routine. The hitbox isn't spectacular, but you have a flamethrower to catch jump-ins and your uppercut will still stuff crossups just fine. The ultimate purpose of Sektor's uppercut is to save you from pressure strings, and it does a fucking admirable job of that.

Anyway, that should cover it. If you want, just add my GT. I play a fairly wide array of characters, so I could throw all sorts of different shit at you to see how you deal with it and determine what you need to work on from there. Other than that, I can try to answer any other questions you might have. Hope this helps.

JkOC

Noob
I watched the first five, I like Your Sektor. As others have said use the ex teleport in combos more and less on wake up and as a starter. Using it like you do nerfs your damage in your combo's at times and wastes meter. Also use b1 more to create space so you can use missles more to build your meter. Your aggressiveness is fun to watch, mix in some more zoning at times. It will make you harder to predict and fill out your game. Cool videos. They are helpful to watch.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
nice matches...
Not really... Meter should mainly or even almost only used for ex TU and breaker aside from x-ray when you need unbreakerable dmg to finish a match. I use to use homing missle a lot too but once you come across experienced players it's not really that useful at all. It doesn't really create any free pressure since they don't have to block it they can just hit you and trade as you come in and try whatever mixup or anything you were attemping.

So once they're hit midair you've used a meter for 8% and probably lost some health in the process. Don't use a lot of homing, stick to ex TU and breaker - thats where your meter should go.

edit: Anything else worth saying has been covered by Altaire and more in another gdlk essay long post, lol gg's :p

Robotic

Gentleman.
Don't rush in if you don't have to. Contrary to popular belief, Sektor CAN play rushdown adequately, but he shouldn't if he doesn't have to.
That's the critique in one sentence. Because you throw out EXTU so consistently, it seems you have a chubby for wanting to get in your opponent's face.

Use 12b1 more. I posted that earlier, Altaire. Beautiful punishment tool that opens high damage combos. I was aware, but I didn't mention it. Good catch.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I didnt watch any of the videos but judging from all the comments, it seems you use EX TU a lot. In all honesty, that is fine. A safe teleport that leads to 33% damage is good. Just make sure not to use it to the point where you will never have breaker.

And don't throw b34 out religiously because that can be punished after the b3 comes out.

I'm probably going to come off a bit harsh and repetitive:deadhorse: but man you need to mix up your pressure game. jip b3 4 isn't the best thing, maybe online but that Second Jax you faced punished it quite easy with his superman punch. A good pressure normal after a flame reset is his f2 or another flame.

Also no offense but do you play Ryu in SF? I ask because every single time you had meter and you were down you did the EX TU. Now that's not bad at putting your opponents on their heels but a smart guy will either attempt a throw or put in a few pokes on you.

Lastly another thing is you don't seem to zone. I saw your first 5 fights and you tended to throw the up rocket instead of the conventional forward rocket. I personally am not a fan due to the possibility of whiff, forward rockets have the best chance for contact and is a guaranteed knocked down.

Bullet points in case of TL;DR
-Add more normals or 12 strings to the b3 pressure
-Save the meter and don't EX TU every single time
- Use more rockets(Well it depends on the opponent, you did good against Smoke).

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Hey man, I only have enough time to watch a few videos right now; but that's awesome of you to post them up here for discussion!

There's a few Sektor info floating around that will turn people in the wrong direction in my opinion. First of which is homing missile; I would recommend almost never using it... which you didn't, and that's good! The only time I would say it comes into play is if you are zoning and have 3 bars; in this situation it can't hurt to use it. Flamethrower is horrid outside combos... and don't listen to that guy who said use it at the start of every fight. For most characters flamethrower is punishable by full combo if not a poverty version. Most people start the match blocking! A big secret of mine on how I start my matches until people wise up is by taping forward, then b3,4. If you quickly tap forward the combo will hit the opponent from the starting position; you can do this so fast that it won't look like you moved at all. This tactic is safe on block and hits low - much better than flamethrower. Instead of flamethrower in other situations I would use b1. It does MORE damage, is safe on block, and pushes you away for more zoning... oh it also is good AA! Lastly, Sektor's uppercut... I'm not sold that it is as fast as Cage's and others. I'd like to see the frame data. So far it doesn't get me out of anything (Kabal strings, Kung Lao low hat punish). I would recommend using d4 since on hit you get a free jump in.

Oh! Someone said to mix in your overhead more; they're retarded! The only time you really want to use it is after a blocked jump in punch. Otherwise any player will just poke you out of your stance instead of guessing if you are going mid or low. To mix it up while not jumping in I would just throw more. The reason the overhead is bad is not only the stance by the way; you can't hit confirm it into TU so it's super risky OR you have to spend a bar to make it safe... lame imo.

When using up missile, I almost always use the one that's closer to you. It just makes it that much more safe really. I understand that the other person will probably realize this... but fuck em, you need to be safe man! I also don't use up missle against some characters at all. Those characters are: Kabal, Mileena, Reptile.

Good stuff overall man; keep up the good work! The final thing I would say that's pretty obvious is to maximize your combos! You lost a few damage here and there, which probably won't mean anything 90% of the time. But wont that suck when it does mean the difference between a win and a loss in a tourney?

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
First off, this is the second or third time I've seen you advise people to start every match with flamethrower. You don't. Start. Every. Match. The same way. This is universally terrible advice. I honestly can't think of a single move you could do off the start of every match that's 100% safe across every matchup. If you think your opponent is going to try and jump in or use a special, fine, flamethrower. You could also B1. You could also jump back. You could also, I don't know, block? Have you ever noticed how in most tourney play, both parties tend to start the first round from neutral? Either they're blocking, or they're in a position where they can block if needed, and there's a reason for that. I will say this once, and it goes for every character in the game: Never start every match the same way. You see a lot of Sub Zero players start every match with a clone, and there are a million and one ways to punish that.
Against almost all non-teleporters online, Flamethrower will connect at the start because they almost always jump towards you. (Please dont start with the offline lecture) Even if they stand neutral it still connects. But yes you are correct that you shouldnt start every match this way. That was exaggeration on my part.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Regarding no homing missile love in here:

Although it didn't really apply to the thread starter because he burned meter first opportunity he got, homing missile NEEDS to be a part of your offence. If you're sitting on full meter, you are HURTING yourself with Sektor. Homing missile is pretty much all upside; there is no real downside to throwing it out. Don't get confused and think I'm telling you to homing missile your opponent to death, but your Sektor needs to stay deadly by always gaining meter, and a full meter means no more meter building. That's bad. If zoning is part of your game with Sektor - and there's very little reason for it NOT to be - then your meter is gaining fast. Release the homing hound and do what you think is best when you launch it.

If nothing else, Homing missile will free up space to gain more meter, for free.