What's new

Covert Ops Sonya Post-F2 Pressure Guide

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
First gif: You can get at least 44% after ex parry mid screen using 1 bar. 46% if you use ex leg grab at the end which is using 2 bars.

Second gif: Why forward 2 run cancel 1,2,1 when you can forward 2 back 1 get the hard knockdown so opponent can't roll back and go for the back 1,3,2 or military stance 50/50.

Third gif: Works fine if you read opponent correctly.

Fourth gif: Is pointless if you try to run cancel after the forward 2 was blocked, the opponent can easily ex through the run cancel or the back 1 military stance grab which is technically the main reason why people say its the worse part of the (covert ops) variation.

All of that is nice tech but some can clearly leave you wide open. Just letting you know.

First gif is not a demonstration of max damage. Just there to establish that parry hurts like a mother and forces the opponent to respect Sonya at -3

The second gif uses 121 to demonstrate that the advantage on hit is enough to fully jail. I'm holding down with D'Vorah and 121 string is a high. So it works to demonstrate a full jail.

I DO mention right under the gif you can do b1. The gif is just there to show it jailing.

The fourth assumes that you've trained the opponent to sit still because it's dangerous to press buttons. Once again, this is mentioned in the text around the gif. Just an example that if your opponent is afraid to do something, then you should. The b1 after is just one example.

Dedlock

Noob
Second gif: Why forward 2 run cancel 1,2,1 when you can forward 2 back 1 get the hard knockdown so opponent can't roll back and go for the back 1,3,2 or military stance 50/50.
That's what I go for, I get the hard knockdown and then go for B1,4 2 for oki. If they have shitty wake ups and no bar it's sets up more pain whilst giving me options.

Awesome guide. I'm really trying to work this into my gameplay more. Slightly unrelated but you make reference to parry above . Looking at the gif, you ex parry then DK immediately after. I'm newer to using parry. When I try they seem to be able to block the DK. Is this just me being too slow or can they usually block it? Thanks!

Dedlock

Noob
Awesome guide. I'm really trying to work this into my gameplay more. Slightly unrelated but you make reference to parry above . Looking at the gif, you ex parry then DK immediately after. I'm newer to using parry. When I try they seem to be able to block the DK. Is this just me being too slow or can they usually block it? Thanks!
The timing is tricky, basically you have to execute the dive kick quickly to connect, under lag conditions it is impossible to connect but it's gotten better now.

Personally I go for f4 and cancel into MS4 after an ex parry 1/3.